Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Question about 380 ammo for Sig Sauer P238

I just purchased a Sig Sauer P238-380-Rainbow Titanium Slite. I had it shipped in from out of state to a licensed dealer. I have to admit that I need help in determining the best ammunition for this handgun. I have been on-line looking for .380ACP and there is a large number of brands and grains from which to choose. I am not going to use any +P as the manual does not mention it under the specifications. In addition, there seems to be a shortage of this ammo. I was at the Cabelas in West Virginia and they only had the +P in small quantities. I spoke to the employee and he stated that this past year they rarely get any 380 in the store and when they do, only one box comes in and it is sold immediately. Is anyone familiar with this model and the best ammunition to use? I really appreciate the assistance. I live in the Pittsburgh PA area.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Question about 380 ammo for Sig Sauer P238

You didn't happen to get that Sig from Duke's Sport Shop did you?

I just heard one of the guys talking about ordering a Rainbow Sig for someone a little while ago.

As far as a good .380 self defense round I would say they're all pretty comparable and you should just see what runs best in your gun. Remington Golden Saber, Federal Hydra-Shok, Hornady Critical defense, or anything from a reputable manufacturer should work just fine.

In regard to +P ammunition from what I've read, there aren't any SAAMI standards for a .380 +p so it technically doesn't exist regardless of what some manufacturers label their products as (Buffalo Bore, Cor-bon).

There can be huge differences between one labeled +p and another labeled +p so even though the little Sig could probably handle the hot loads with no problem I would just steer clear of them.

(Philadelphia County)

Due to the limited selection, buy what you can get.

Why did you not go with a 9mm??

I use these in my Kel Tec P3at and my Bersa Thunder .380 as a SD round.
    http://www.hornady.com/store/380-Aut...tical-Defense/

(Allegheny County)

Renegadephoenix here has that model Sig, although not in rainbow.........

PM him.

IIRC when Mike Shovel, the corbon dude, came ut to a group shoot some time ago with ballistics gel he had settled on running Winchester Ranger T-series ammo for SD. It had the best expansion and penetration compromise for that round. Penetration is a real concern for .380 HP's, and ones that open too quick tend to slow the bullet down and it wont travel deep enough. Many people would recomend carrying FMJ's if your going to carry a .380 for this reason.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    Due to the limited selection, buy what you can get.

Why did you not go with a 9mm??
    Well, I have to admit that I liked the Sig Sauer P238, partly because it was purply looking. Okay, it may sound corny, but I have a nice small collection of pink and purple handguns, rifles and a shotgun. What can I say? I also liked the fact that it felt balanced in my small hand. One of the employees at Bob's Little Sport shop in NJ (where I just moved from) had purchased it and was showing it at the shop. She had practiced with it at the range and liked it. I liked the smaller size, since I can get a permit to carry in PA now that I have moved back here. I had to have the P238 shipped to a licensed dealer here in PA.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolfsburg View Post
    You didn't happen to get that Sig from Duke's Sport Shop did you?

I just heard one of the guys talking about ordering a Rainbow Sig for someone a little while ago.

As far as a good .380 self defense round I would say they're all pretty comparable and you should just see what runs best in your gun. Remington Golden Saber, Federal Hydra-Shok, Hornady Critical defense, or anything from a reputable manufacturer should work just fine.

In regard to +P ammunition from what I've read, there aren't any SAAMI standards for a .380 +p so it technically doesn't exist regardless of what some manufacturers label their products as (Buffalo Bore, Cor-bon).

There can be huge differences between one labeled +p and another labeled +p so even though the little Sig could probably handle the hot loads with no problem I would just steer clear of them.
    I had gotten the Sig Sauer P238 from Bob's Little Sport Shop in NJ. A very nice, friendly place with wonderful people.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

(Adams County)

I've had my 238 for several months & so far it has done well on all the ammo I've fed it. Mostly I use Federal bulk white box (keep checking Wal Mart). For cc I have Hornady Critical Defense but at close to $1 per round, I just test fired about 20 rounds and leave the rest in the magazines.

Had mine for 2 weeks, it shoots Remington Golden Saber perfectly, no hiccup at all. But that is only ~100 rounds through it so far. Otherwise I have shoot just the regular box FMJ remington and Winchester, again no problems.

Although I will say that I find myself with too much finger on the trigger and then I pull a little left. I think it is the small size of the gun that makes me do it. But once I was conscious of doing it I could remedy it easily.
    Be Decisive! The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision!