Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Mosin M44 project for wintertime

All -

I picked up a Mosin M44 carbine at the Leesport show, and I'm considering making a few modifications to the gun to improve accuracy.

Before I tell you what I have in mind I should probably also tell you what I know about the gun.

This particular rifle was imported in unused/unissued condition by RGuns. It has the hardwood (not the laminate) stock and was produced at the Izhevsk Mechanical Works factory in 1944. It's a fairly common carbine, in other words, with a shit ton of them brought over after the Cold War.

The rifling is mint to excellent, with no frosting, pitting or counter-boring, and the bluing is pristine, though the stock has a few dings here and there.

I took the M44 to the range recently, and with mid-80 vintage Russian spam ammo I managed to achieve about a 4" group at 100 yards through iron sights, despite the excessive amount of lubricant that was present in the barrel (which I have since removed). It appears to be a good shooter - or at least it seems to have potential for some accurizing I have in mind.

• I'd like to glass bed near the recoil lug and rear action screw (if necessary).
    • As my eyes are not the best anymore, I'm considering tapping the receiver for the Rock Solid scope mount. Eventually I'm hoping to get this gun fitted with a halfway-decent 3 x 9 scope, probably a vintage Nikon or similar vintage MIJ model.
    • I'm also considering using the Rock Solid bent bolt.
    • The Huber match trigger is on my list for Santy Claus this year, though the current trigger isn't bad, per-se.
    • I'll be installing a recoil absorptive pad in place of the metal strap on the buttstock, as the kick that this rifle has is enough to cause some serious pain.
    • If that does not reduce the recoil to manageable levels I'll have the barrel threaded for a Tapco AK-74 style muzzle brake

Eventually I'm hoping to end up with a fairly flexible carbine capable of taking out deer or other large game at 100 or so yards.

Thoughts?
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(Blair County)

Default Re: Mosin M44 project for wintertime

(Delaware County)

I have a Mosin I'm thinking about doing some things to. Still in the planning stage. Interested to see how your project turns out. I was thinking about taking off the bayonet but I heard that messes with the accuracy of the rifle. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Read this. They talk about the bayonet on page two.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu27.htm
    I will not remove my AVATAR until this threat is over. One down, four up.

Have had a few and love them. Can shoot good and are cheap to have fun with.

I'm really not a fan of 'sporterizing' them. My next one will get drilled for a PU scope mount then a current handgun scope will find it's way onto it.

You can get replacement parts from www.e-gunparts.com
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Schuylkill County)

I saw a nice M44 in a local shop for $225 is this about the going price for one? The bore was good and the stock was very nice, not sure if it was wood or laminate...I think wood. Anyway I was considering buying it for a fun range gun. 7.62x54 is a dragon slayer. Can anyone convince me yea or nea?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NeroStarr View Post
    I saw a nice M44 in a local shop for $225 is this about the going price for one?
    For the gun shops, yes, probably that's the going rate on the carbine. In fact that sounds like what Eagle had them for at Macungie (arsenal refinished CAI imports; one was a Tula; most had laminated stocks. The bolts on all of them were pretty nice, though some of the triggers could have used some work - typical).

You'd probably do better on price ($130 - 200) at a gun show or through mail order or GunBroker - the KP show is coming up in about two weeks. Up to you, though - if its worth it to you to just get it done and to the range then by all means pick it up.

The bore was good and the stock was very nice, not sure if it was wood or laminate...I think wood. Anyway I was considering buying it for a fun range gun. 7.62x54 is a dragon slayer. Can anyone convince me yea or nea?
    The Mosin is an under-rated platform. It won the Second World War, along with the Garand and the Enfield. M44s are still cheap to own and cheap to shoot, and can knock down any critter in the Commonwealth. However, when you buy it really does pay to be able to inspect the merchandise. There are some junkers out there, with high prices due to status as a "collectible" variant. IMO you're better off with a garden variety Izhevsk with a good barrel and good bluing, and if the bolt is smooth and the trigger decent, so much the better.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by LunkTheHunk View Post
    I have a Mosin I'm thinking about doing some things to. Still in the planning stage. Interested to see how your project turns out. I was thinking about taking off the bayonet but I heard that messes with the accuracy of the rifle. Has anyone heard anything about this?
    After looking at the link in the next message, I see that OPENING the bayonet changes the point of impact. I don't know what REMOVING it would do.
    I don't believe it would change anything to a point that adjusting the sights couldn't compensate for. You probably need to drift the front sight right or left anyway to get it to hit center.
    In regards to bedding the barrel with epoxy or similar materials, this would be no problem at all, just make sure that the wood is flushed well with laquer thinner prior to bedding.
    I would never waste my time bedding the rear of the receiver due to the fact that it has the split bridge at the rear and can NEVER really be strong enough to ever not flex.
    I really do believe that the Nagant is as good as any surplus small ring Mauser in that the Nagant also has the locking lugs at the front of the bolt which stops the flex that the #3 and #4 Enfields would have with thier rear locking lugs.
    There is a TON of after market Nagant stuff out there that can make any good condition Nagant into a very decent hunting rifle and fun range rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by NeroStarr View Post
    I saw a nice M44 in a local shop for $225 is this about the going price for one? The bore was good and the stock was very nice, not sure if it was wood or laminate...I think wood. Anyway I was considering buying it for a fun range gun. 7.62x54 is a dragon slayer. Can anyone convince me yea or nea?
    91/30s are going in gunshops here in Alabama for $110 to $125.
    They are selling both Izhevsk and Tula made models, the Tula versions are generally the better finished model. The ones i have looked at are usually good to very good condition, with all accessories included for that price ( bayonet, tools, mag pouch, oil can).
    Dealer cost on these rifles is currently around $80 in the last dealer flier I looked at.

(Monroe County)

THe M44 is perfect as is , i would leave it alone , just enjoy shooting it.