Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Just starting out

I would really like to start competing in some competition matches for pistol but I really don't know where to start. Can someone please point me in the right direction as to where to look for such information.

Thanks in advance!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Just starting out

(Allegheny County)

What kind of competing would you like to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Centre County)

I would also like to get started in some pistol competitions, IDPA, Practical Shooting, and the like. Most suggestions are go to a club and watch a competition. Are there any training courses or get acquainted courses that can get a new shooter started at the very basic level?

(Lawrence County)

IDPA and USPSA are good places to start. The safety rules are very close to being the same and the game rules vary just a bit.

Many clubs offer a new shooter course and others will flag you as a new shooter and try to coach you as you go if you just show up.

My recommendation......call a local USPA or IDPA club and tell them you want to learn the game. Many have a "practice night" where you can show up and be coached. Otherwise, ask to be squadded with a group of members and walk the stages with them for a match. Ask questions.

And...in the meantime.....review the rules.

www.idpa.com

www.uspsa.com

You can, of course, ask questions here as well. That's why we're here.

Lycanwelcometothefunthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    IDPA and USPSA are good places to start. The safety rules are very close to being the same and the game rules vary just a bit.

Many clubs offer a new shooter course and others will flag you as a new shooter and try to coach you as you go if you just show up.

My recommendation......call a local USPA or IDPA club and tell them you want to learn the game. Many have a "practice night" where you can show up and be coached. Otherwise, ask to be squadded with a group of members and walk the stages with them for a match. Ask questions.

And...in the meantime.....review the rules.

www.idpa.com

www.uspsa.com

You can, of course, ask questions here as well. That's why we're here.

Lycanwelcometothefunthrope
    Is there a particular one you would chose over the other?

I have never done anything like that. So I would be a novice. Which one would have the most "real life". I mean which one would be more beneficial?

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    Is there a particular one you would chose over the other?

I have never done anything like that. So I would be a novice. Which one would have the most "real life". I mean which one would be more beneficial?
    That's a whole can o' worms.......

I'm an IDPA Safety Officer and a USPSA Range Officer. IDPA is marketed more toward carry guns and that it is easier to learn the rules. Personally, I think this is false. USPSA Production equipment is almost identical to IDPA equipment.....but for USPSA you need more mags. In IDPA you can get away with 3 mags, but you probably need 5 in USPSA. Shots are usually closer in IDPA and you have smaller round counts.

I give out a lot more penalties in IDPA shooting because it the stages are more scripted (everyone mostly has to shoot them the same way) and body position counts as in IDPA your feet and 50% of your torso must be invisible to the target to be seen as using "cover" (you also typically use a cover garment). In USPSA you can typically shoot the stage any way you want unless stated otherwise. What is nice about this is: (A) you can shoot it the way you feel comfortable and (B) if you shoot the stage "smarter" you can often beat shooters who have a higher skill level than you.

The games aren't training and I consider them just a good way to gain weapons handling skills and accuracy at speed. In that vein, USPSA typically has better shooters. If you compare the skill level classes, people typically shoot one class lower in USPSA if they are coming from IDPA. Watching better people shoot and asking a lot of questions is also very beneficial.

I shoot them both. I recommend you do the same.

What gun are you using?

Lycantoobadyouaren'tcloserthrope

(Franklin County)

I would be using a P220.

(Lawrence County)

You can shoot other divisions, but you will likely want to shoot USPSA Production division and IDPA Stock Service Pistol division (SSP).

Both divisions will mandate ten rounds only in the magazine.

IDPA has the more stringent holster rules so find something legal for that (review the IDPA book on holsters and mag pouches). I have a Bladetech that I love for my Glock (and 2011), but an Uncle Mikes paddle is good enough to carry you to Master class.

Lycannicegunthrope

(Perry County)

Smalls;
    I see that you are in Chambersburg, Westshoresportmen (Sights) is on the West Shore opposite Harrisburg, not too far. They have a Thurs Practice on their indoor range. I recommend you visit their site; http://www.sightspracticalshooter.com/default.php
    Contact Hersh with any questions the practice is somewhat structured and you will be able to learn all you need to know to compete next year. Tell him Hammer sent you, he taught me all I know, although he probably wouldn't admit it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast