Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default AR stock question

Looking to start building up an M4 clone for a friend of mine thats a bigger guy. 6'7" 230. I've let him shoot my RRA with the standard mil-spec stock on it. He shoots with it fully extended and has commented that he wishes the stock would extend a bit further to fit him better.

I've been looking for a colapsable stock that has a longer length than the stock one on my RRA but the best I've come up with is either adding a rubber recoil pad to gain maybe 1/2" or a magpul stock that you can add the spacers to but again you only seem to be gaining around a 1/2" in LOP on the gun.

He likes how the 16" barrel handles and balances so adding a fixed A2 stock is not really an option as it messes with the balance of the gun in my opinion.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you find that worked for you? I'm open to suggestions.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: AR stock question

I'm about the same size as your friend and without armor I run my MOE with rubber buttpad in 1 click on a DPMS 6pos RE. With a std M4 style stock I run it all the way out and have had no problems. I'd recommend the buttpad for your friend if he wants just a bit more length.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Bucks County)

Hey Guy
    My son has a folding stock for sale on ebay,not sure what kind it is
    if you want check it out,,,is user name is WFHJR69
    Happy Thanksgiving to all...

(Indiana County)

The CAA SRS & SRSNL are 14.5 in length.

SOCOM M4 LONG is also 14.5

Magpul PRS is an inch or so longer than an A2.

A buddy bought one of these last year, I think it was this company:
    http://lgweaponry.com/ad_sheets/carext.htm
    Expensive IMO, but it was what he need for his knuckle-dragger arms.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    The CAA SRS & SRSNL are 14.5 in length.

SOCOM M4 LONG is also 14.5

Magpul PRS is an inch or so longer than an A2.

A buddy bought one of these last year, I think it was this company:
    http://lgweaponry.com/ad_sheets/carext.htm
    Expensive IMO, but it was what he need for his knuckle-dragger arms.
    length of pull should be adjusted for sight picture rather than arm length. I know my concern is more my weak hand up near the barrel getting burnt. LoP I adjust so my chin isn't on top of the rear sight when I shoulder my weapon.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    length of pull should be adjusted for sight picture rather than arm length. I know my concern is more my weak hand up near the barrel getting burnt. LoP I adjust so my chin isn't on top of the rear sight when I shoulder my weapon.
    Yep, I know what you are saying, but in his case, his right arm sticks so far out when firing that it is physically uncomfortable for him to even attempt to correctly hold a weapon.
    I'm tellin you, he is built like Jaws from the James Bond movies, the guy is all out of whack.
    His arm is bent onto itself, his bicep touching his wrist with a "normal" stock. With a abnormally long stock, his right hand is now gripping the gun farther from his chest allowing his arm to be the way it is for normal people, he has to crane his neck forward toward the sights, but he can actually shoot that way.

Sounds weird, you'd have to see it. Maybe I can sneak a pic of him next time we shoot and post it, hopefully he never sees it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Yep, I know what you are saying, but in his case, his right arm sticks so far out when firing that it is physically uncomfortable for him to even attempt to correctly hold a weapon.
    I'm tellin you, he is built like Jaws from the James Bond movies, the guy is all out of whack.
    His arm is bent onto itself, his bicep touching his wrist with a "normal" stock. With a abnormally long stock, his right hand is now gripping the gun farther from his chest allowing his arm to be the way it is for normal people, he has to crane his neck forward toward the sights, but he can actually shoot that way.

Sounds weird, you'd have to see it. Maybe I can sneak a pic of him next time we shoot and post it, hopefully he never sees it.
    Well first off I have to say that if his right arm is sticking out he is *NOT* holding the weapon correctly. However if his wrist is touching his bicep he's either seriously ripped or something is out of whack. I mean when I bend my arm all the way back my wrist is at my shoulder. So I will take your word that the guy is built abnormally either way and reserve any further speculation until I can actually see how he shoots Hahaha!

(Lebanon County)

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to show him a few different ones and let him decide. I may just end up borrowing an A2 style lower and sticking my 16" upper to it and see what he thinks. If nothing else it gives he and I an idea on where he needs/wants his LOP to be.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper