Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Cleaning and Lubing semi-auto handguns

Does anyone have any tricks for cleaning and lubing their handguns after a trip to the range? My user manual (Stouger Cougar) says to clean and lube using a cloth and/or patches soaked in gun oil. I did that last time, and it seems like pretty much all of the crud came off without use of any solvent.

But I was thinking about starting to use something like Rem Oil wipes almost exclusively (except maybe for really dirty spots). Would that be sufficient in terms of getting the gunk out and also leaving the gun lubed and protected for the next use? If I clean immediately after every range trip of 100 rounds or so, do I really need to use wire brushes and solvents (e.g. Hoppes 9) to get it clean?

Also, how much oil should I put on the moving parts? I'm generally leaving a very thin film, but should it be a little more slimy? I also saw some posts/videos suggesting the use of grease instead of oil. Is that a good idea?
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Cleaning and Lubing semi-auto handguns

I use eezox... It's designed to be both a solvent AND a lubricant. You clean your weapon with it, and it continues to protect and lubricate it even after it dries. It also prevents rust.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Beaver County)

Grease can get stiff when very cold, so use with caution.

Cleaning with brushes and patches usually won't hurt a gun, and is especially good when dealing with the grime of lead ammo, and dirtier powders.

You only need enough residual oil to keep the gun from rusting, and to lubricate the moving parts. It does not need to be dripping wet, and too much oil can actually attract dirt that causes premature wear. A thin film is plenty.

Only you can determine how dirty your gun actually and how much cleaning you need, or want, to do. I like clean guns, but I'm not a fanatic. I wouldn't use the ultrasonic tank after 100 rounds, but I'd run a brush, and a few patches through the bore (with solvent), and spray and wipe the rest of the gun, leaving just a thin film of oil, where required.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Chester County)

I clean my SR9 everytime I go to range and use pretty minimal lubricant. I have a pen type 'Weapon Shield' lubricant which I apply mainly to the rails that the sliding mechanism sits upon.

Cleaning a firearm is not a science and EVERYBODY will have there own way of doing it.

I like to use just average 'pull through' patches and a toothbrush to get the majority of the mess off, I've not had the need to break out the wire brushes (yet!)

As a side note, I got the free lubricant pen by following the instructions on this thread;

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/942...tml#post106024

The thread is old but I e-mailed for my free trial about a month ago and got one a few days later!

(Northumberland County)

i would get rid of those rem wipes and use some hopes oil
    If it go's BOOM, I want it

(Luzerne County)

I use remoil for cleaning all of my guns... not the overpriced remoil wipes, but the aerosol can of remoil. I use that to clean and lubricate. I also keep hoppes no. 9 around, but rarely find I have to use it. I thoroughly clean my guns after each and every use with brushes, rags, etc., whether I fire 1000 rounds or just one. I keep my guns pretty wet with oil to prevent any rust from ever forming, never grease, but I keep them locked away always so there is a very minimal chance of dirt, grime, or dust being attracted to the extra oil.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    I use remoil for cleaning all of my guns... not the overpriced remoil wipes, but the aerosol can of remoil. I use that to clean and lubricate. I also keep hoppes no. 9 around, but rarely find I have to use it. I thoroughly clean my guns after each and every use with brushes, rags, etc., whether I fire 1000 rounds or just one. I keep my guns pretty wet with oil to prevent any rust from ever forming, never grease, but I keep them locked away always so there is a very minimal chance of dirt, grime, or dust being attracted to the extra oil.
    I didn't think they were overpriced -- I just saw a pop up container with 60 in it for about $10 at a shop in Jersey, and Bud's sells it for $7.

Now that I search Google though, everywhere else I look charges $20.
    Last edited by rikilii; November 24th, 2009 at 04:21 PM.

i disassembled my p22, dumped it in a bucket of tranny fluid for two days, let it drip dry for a day, then sprayed off the residue with mass airflow sensor cleaner, then lubed it with weapon shield. works great!
    FJB

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    I didn't think they were overpriced -- I just saw a pop up container with 60 in it for about $10 at a shop in Jersey, and Bud's sells it for $7.

Now that I search Google though, everywhere else I look charges $20.
    Yep. $7 is overpriced even. For $7 you get 60 uses. For $5 you get a large aerosol bottle able to be reused hundreds of times. Furthermore, with the aerosol can, you are able to spray it cracks and crevices. Of course, skip your next few Starbucks coffee purchases and you've paid for it anyhow!
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Yep. $7 is overpriced even. For $7 you get 60 uses. For $5 you get a large aerosol bottle able to be reused hundreds of times. Furthermore, with the aerosol can, you are able to spray it cracks and crevices. Of course, skip your next few Starbucks coffee purchases and you've paid for it anyhow!
    Yeah, I already have a spray can of something (can't remember the name of it), but the wipes will save me having to use towels/papertowels to wipe the gunk off. If I can clean/lube everything after a day of shooting with 2 or 3 wipes (35 cents, they're pretty big), that's a bargain to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast