Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default OK, What About Wolf?

I've heard all kinds of bad stuff about Wolf 5.56 non-corrosive steel casing ammo...I also heard all kinds of good stuff about it, mainly from the suppliers that sell it! So what is the good, the bad & the ugly on Wolf? Should I buy some just to hose through the AR15 for plinking? BTW, my AR is fairly new...I heard that steel casings are bad for break in periods? Any info will be appreciated!

Default Re: OK, What About Wolf?

i shoot wolf out of my bushmaster, works fine... its a little dirty, and the steel casings i've heard can scratch the finish easier than brass.... never had a misfire, and i dont find the accuracy is bad at all with them.. i've never tried wolf handgun ammo just because i've never seen it anywhere

(Westmoreland County)

Same here. I have a bushmaster ar also. I have had two rounds out of about 700 where the primars did not go off. I bought 1,000 rounds for $200 so I am not complaining and both rounds were from the same lot. I am going to be ordering some more soon. I am satisfied with it

(Somerset County)

I've been shooting Wolf out of my Bushmaster since I bought it. So far out of 1000 rounds of Wolf I've had one failure to eject (FTE) and that was because the extractor gummed up from the crud. Wolf is very dirty so you will get to spend lots of quality time with your AR cleaning it. Cheap plinking ammo.

(Westmoreland County)

Are the new rounds polymer coated instead of lacquered? I have heard that they made a lot of improvements in quality since 2004...I was just worried about damage to my baby...errr, I mean my gun!

(Philadelphia County)

I've fired in excess of 1000 rounds of wolf military classic 223 through my AR without cleaning and had zero malfunctions. It's good stuff. Anything negative you hear about it generally comes from people who "heard from a friend about this guy who's cousin..." or from people with poorly built frankenguns that are picky with ammo.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks guys...my AR is pure pedigreed Bushwhacker...so I'm gonna give it a try! After all, I ain't got no money tree in the backyard! (Wish I did! LOL)
    Last edited by RocketFoot; July 27th, 2007 at 06:35 PM.

(Bucks County)

i've had some FTE problems with Wolf, and it is a lot more dirty. I wouldn't necessarily stock up on it for SHTF self-defense use, but it's good and cheap for range plinking.

(Northumberland County)

"borrowed" this from someone on gunsnet:

Wolf puts a high tech 'filth indicator' component into their propellant powder.

Many people were cleaning their guns in a perfunctory fashion and were inadvertently missing cleaning all the surfaces that they thought they were cleaning. This was because they could not always clearly see which surfaces had already been cleaned and which had not.

With the patented cutting edge Wolf 'filth indicator' laying down an easy-to-see filth indicating film, it is very obvious which surfaces have already been cleaned and which still require attention.

Rumor has it that Wolf may be making this new technology available to militaries world wide.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by thirtyonebravo View Post
    i've had some FTE problems with Wolf, and it is a lot more dirty. I wouldn't necessarily stock up on it for SHTF self-defense use, but it's good and cheap for range plinking.
    yep, that's the point, because shooting M193 spec for half a buck a shot isn't in the cards anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast