Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default What do you look for when inspecting a new pistol?

I finally ordered my first pistol (Sig Pro 2022). I bought it because I came across a deal I simply could not pass:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id=411538398

I already sent in the money order today. While I'm waiting for it to arrive at a local shop, I wanted to ask about how I should inspect it before I take the transfer. On the retailer's website, they said that upon arrival at the shop, I should inspect it for any possible damage before accepting the transfer. The question is, what exactly do I look for? Obviously, if the frame is cracked and there are tire marks on it, then I should send it back, lol. But what about other things? Is there anything in particular that I should check internally? Thanks in advance

Default Re: What do you look for when inspecting a new pistol?

Being a new Sig, shipped in the factory box, there probably won't be anything wrong with it. You can check for scratches, function, etc, but you're gonna do that anyway. Also check to be sure the serial # on the gun matches the paperwork & the # on the box. That's about all i can think of.

I usually take my fashion consultant (wife) with me to get her opinion: "Honey, does this Sig make my ass look big?"
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

I usually look for this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Being a new Sig, shipped in the factory box, there probably won't be anything wrong with it. You can check for scratches, function, etc, but you're gonna do that anyway. Also check to be sure the serial # on the gun matches the paperwork & the # on the box. That's about all i can think of.

I usually take my fashion consultant (wife) with me to get her opinion: "Honey, does this Sig make my ass look big?"
    How do you check the function? If I dryfire it a couple of times and it works fine, should I just get it then?

(Blair County)

Just a thought...

My father purchased a Kel-tec last year at a local gun shop. He racked the slide, it seemed fine so he bought it.

Upon getting it home he took the slide off etc. to clean it. No matter how much he tried he could not get the slide back on!

The next day he took it back where he bought it and explained the issue to the gentleman behind the counter.

Naturally everyone chuckled and said they would show him how to reassemble the pistol. Guess what... Nobody at the shop could reassemble it!

They took care of the issue and made everything right with dad, which is a good thing.

Point is, you might want to remove the slide, barrel, etc. and reassemble it before leaving the shop.

I would not expect that problem with a Sig, but am simply offering a thought for you.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I usually look for this:
    +1 10 char

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jailkeeper View Post
    Just a thought...

My father purchased a Kel-tec last year at a local gun shop. He racked the slide, it seemed fine so he bought it.

Upon getting it home he took the slide off etc. to clean it. No matter how much he tried he could not get the slide back on!

The next day he took it back where he bought it and explained the issue to the gentleman behind the counter.

Naturally everyone chuckled and said they would show him how to reassemble the pistol. Guess what... Nobody at the shop could reassemble it!

They took care of the issue and made everything right with dad, which is a good thing.

Point is, you might want to remove the slide, barrel, etc. and reassemble it before leaving the shop.

I would not expect that problem with a Sig, but am simply offering a thought for you.
    Thank you, that's exactly what I was asking about. Before I accept the transfer, I will make sure I do exactly what you said, just to be on the safe side. Thanks again. Rep sent.

(York County)

Functionality. A working safety (some don't care), abviously the right caliber. Oddly enough does it feel right in my hand is the most important question I ask myself.
    3%

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I usually look for this:
    good stuff

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    Thank you, that's exactly what I was asking about. Before I accept the transfer, I will make sure I do exactly what you said, just to be on the safe side. Thanks again. Rep sent.
    Etep? It might be a better idea to ask the salesman to remove the slide, etc. and show you how it is done. Otherwise the salesperson might have a nervous breakdown when you commence to taking down a pistol before buying it.

Either way you will be confirming that all is well with the pistol, and if you're like me you might just learn something along the way!
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast