Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Someone is shooting everyone. What do you do?

We discussed this a long time ago. But lots of new folk on here. So, I wanted to see what you all think about this.

Here is the situation. Don't read anymore into it. If your single, figure you are there with a date or your buddies. If your a family man, you're there with your family. OK, here is what is happening.

You are walking around the local county fair eating fattening food and having a good time, when you hear what sounds like someone setting off M-80's. Suddenly you see people running toward you. Someone shouts that a man with a gun is shooting at everyone.

You are armed with your daily carry piece. Do you run with the crowd to get away? Or, do you run towards the firing in hopes of stopping the gunman from shooting people.

Thats all. Don't add anything to it. Don't "What if" it. This is all the info you have, and for real, this is all you would know. You have seconds to decide. What do you do?

This should be interesting. It usually is.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Someone is shooting everyone. What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Do you run with the crowd to get away? Or, do you run towards the firing in hopes of stopping the gunman from shooting people.
    Are you giving examples or saying there are only two options?

If I'm with friends, I'd tell them to run with the crowd. I'd try to find a place of cover and see if I can safely stop the gunman. I wouldn't "run towards the firing".

If I'm with family, first and foremost I'm getting them to safety. If I can achieve that, then I would try to find a place of cover and see if I can safely stop the gunman.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

First priority is to make sure family/loved ones are safe.
    Second priority is to evaluate situation
    Most likely I would then seek to take action because I find it difficult to just "stand by"....my upbringing and training make it so.

(Luzerne County)

Actually, these threads happen quite often. There is another currently active now.

Anyway, despite my wanting to post the pic of "not this shit again" My alswer remains:

I'm leaving by the path of apparent least resistance. Will deploy firearm if needed in the course of that retreat.
    I carry a firearm to protect me, my family and ensure I get home to my family (who depends on me). I do not carry a firearm to seek out and stop gunmen or others commiting acts of violence.

YMMV
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; November 23rd, 2009 at 11:02 AM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

Run away every time.

We just discussed a similar (mall) scenario in an informal law class.
    The biggest concern was that if you try to intervene (with gun in hand), it's a good chance you may be mistaken for the shooter or an additional shooter by another LTCF holder (that also decided to engage), or a police officer.
    Toujours prêt

(Westmoreland County)

Intervene and engage. Enough with this "active shooter" crap.

With family? Though scenario's can vary, what your spouse "does" in such a situation should already have been discussed in general terms. If you haven't yet had a discussion, do it BEFORE you find yourself in an active shooter scenario.

With friends? They will do what they will do.

A date? Hand her the keys to my vehicle with instructions to "get out of dodge".

I'm not looking for an opportunity to become a hero but I once witnessed what I thought was an attempted abduction. Although it turned out to be a domestic dispute of some sort, and all I did was "observe and report" (I called 911), it made me think of the possibility that my loved ones could one day find themselves in some kind of peril when I'm not with them and I would sincerely hope that someone, with the wherewithal to do something, would do something.

Just because they aren't my loved one, they're certainly someone's loved one.

(Philadelphia County)

Aim high...

Cool Re: Someone is shooting everyone. What do you do?

Secure as many civilians safely away from scene,Unless your are positive the shooter is not an off duty P.O. trying to assess the scene himself,You are about to enter the world of a police officer,and must conduct yourself with extreme caution,the possibility of you becoming a statistic also is now 100 %. I know you wanted a response of hero shooter saves the day,but the odds are definitley not in your favor,even having some LEO training !

(Northampton County)

Protect family - everyone else is on their own.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

While my first instinct would be to move out of harms way (and get my family out of harms way) I think I would then access the situation from a safe vantage point. If I had a tactical position that I felt allowed me an attempt to neutralize the attacker I'm about 99% sure I would take the shot(s).

That being said if I found no advantageous tactical position I would just get out, not into playing high noon with some whack job.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast