Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Took friend and kiddos shooting

My buddy has 4 kids, 3 of which I have hunted with before.

Ages are 13, 14 and 30.

We walk about a mile from his backyard onto some Consol Coal Company property.

This looks to be an area with quad trails all over the place, burned out cars and the remnants of many a "field party".

The eldest has hemophilia and was prone to swelling and bleeding in his ankles when stressed with walking during the years he hunted with his dad, myself and my son.

It surprised me when he wanted to go shooting with us but I later found out the guy who was his best man had a Thompson they wanted to plink around with. He also said he and his new wife were considering buying a handgun so wanted some input from me.

All 3 sons had not been successful during last year's hunt but one of them did have a doe present herself at about 35 yds. He didn't take the shot because his hunter safety trainer told the class that you were not to take a shot unless it was a clean shot where no part of the deer was obscured. I took this as the NRA 3rd safety rule "be sure of your target and what is beyond". Since then, I told him that some shots are OK if the deer's body isn't 100% visible.

Anyway, we got their 30-30's sighted in at 50 yds and ran a few rounds through my S&W model 66, my 2 carry guns-- Glock 23 and Kahr P9 Covert and the all time favorite, the red dot mounted Bushmaster.

Check brass in air on the next 2 pics. this was the Kahr.

Little AR work.

30 YO kiddo

My buddy

His young'uns

All in all, It was a good safe shoot. We all reviewed the 4 basic saftey rules many times. It seems to me that the one thing hardest for the kiddos to keep in mind is the elevation of the muzzle.

The pit has a nice high backstop. We did have to stop when the quads were buzzing around beyond our target area a few times.

Kiddo in red joined the junior ROTC in his school district and had the bragging rights of running an AR a few times.

Unfortunately, the friend with the Thompson didn't make it. I brought a couple boxes of .45 just to give it a whirl.

Good day today.
    Last edited by 27hand; November 23rd, 2009 at 08:37 PM.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Took friend and kiddos shooting

Excellent ... sounds like you guys had a good time!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Mojo, we did. I think I only shot 5 rounds. It was almost like being at a group shoot .

I did however get out to PMSC today and sighted my own rifles in ( one pistol).

Pump 06, lever 30-30, bolt Savage, pump Ithaca Deerslayer, Ruger Redhawk

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Northampton County)

Good times!