Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Going to see federal judge

In a couple weeks, I have to go see a federal judge for some personal business at the Larry Holmes Building in Easton. It's not a courthouse. The judge has his chambers and the conference room he does the business in. Can anyone give me any idea of what can I do about carrying there? Will I get in trouble for going into a meeting with a federal judge while I'm carrying?
    Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II .45 ACP, Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Default Re: Going to see federal judge

if it's a federal building, which it maybe, then no you can't carry there

(Luzerne County)

Has nothing to do with the person being a federal district judge and everything with the property where you will meet.

Does that help?

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Indiana County)

In this instant, it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

(Centre County)

There ought to be signs like at my local District Magistrate.

Who pays the rent on the office? If it's the Justice Department then it's Federal Property.

(Northampton County)

I carry to the bank on the first floor whenever I go there. In this building it is the floor that the courts are on that is federal.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Allegheny County)

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 >

§ 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
    (c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
    (1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
    (2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
    (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

(e)
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal court facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.
    (2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to conduct which is described in paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (d).

(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or orders regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of weapons within any building housing such court or any of its proceedings, or upon any grounds appurtenant to such building.

(g) As used in this section:
    (1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
    (2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 21/2 inches in length.
    (3) The term “Federal court facility” means the courtroom, judges’ chambers, witness rooms, jury deliberation rooms, attorney conference rooms, prisoner holding cells, offices of the court clerks, the United States attorney, and the United States marshal, probation and parole offices, and adjoining corridors of any court of the United States.

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.
    Last edited by DaveM55; November 23rd, 2009 at 08:51 AM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Chester County)

If its a federal judge (a federal employee) and his chambers (I presume that they are rented by the feds) it meets the definition of a Federal Facility. As you enter the "Federal area" look for the required postings. If no signs then you would be protected under 18 USC 930(h) shown previously (this would not necessarily prevent your arrest, just conviction).
    IANAL