Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default CCW Belt selection

From what I keep hearing, it is important to have a good belt, as well as a good holster, for successful IWB concealed carry. When we talk about a "good belt" does this mean a belt that is not too loose? Is this a belt that should be thicker or thinner?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: CCW Belt selection

By good belt, we mean a gun belt. Thicker, stiffer, often wider than a normal store-bought belt.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

Thanks for the information. I was unaware that there were civilian belts made specifically for carrying a holster. I'm guessing these belts can be purchased through the same guys that supply holsters?

(Monroe County)

As stated a good belt is thicker, stiffer and just overall stronger which allows it to bear the weight of the gun and not droop your pants. Their are belts like this around but you would be best to get a marketed "gun belt". The downside is cost compared to a $5 walmart belt but you will be thankful a hundred times over when you slip on your gun.

While I am not a cheap man I do always look for a deal. I have found Galco's Matrix belt to be very good. It is strong enough to hold the gun without any droop at all yet not to thick. It is black and works as my everyday belt around the house and also to wear to work where I have to dress professional. The only dress style you would need a new one for is if you wear a suit. I have worn it for dirty, hard yard work and simply wipe it of with a wet cloth and it looks great. It was about thirty dollars, can't beat it compared to the 75-100 dollars for some others.

Edit: you can find them at big name holster makers, specific beltmakers such as beltman or do a google search
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; November 20th, 2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: additional information.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    I'm guessing these belts can be purchased through the same guys that supply holsters?
    Usually. Galco, Bianchi, Comp-Tac, they all make belts. The Beltman is very popular. http://www.thebeltman.net/ 5.11 Tactical has some. Wilderness Tactical belts are also very popular. http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=43 I use a Wilderness Tactical Instructor CSM.
    Last edited by unloved; November 20th, 2009 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks for all the info. Finding a good belt will get me one step closer to reasonably comfortable concealed carry.

(Delaware County)

Look at the http://nrastore.com
    or http://www.foxcreekleather.com

Many men on here find the Fox Creek leather a great bargain for the money in comparison to the far more costly others.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Tioga County)

Strangely enough I found a great belt in a western store. It looks good and is stiff enough to support my XD.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Usually. Galco, Bianchi, Comp-Tac, they all make belts. The Beltman is very popular. http://www.thebeltman.net/ 5.11 Tactical has some. Wilderness Tactical belts are also very popular. http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=43 I use a Wilderness Tactical Instructor CSM.
    I'm planning on getting their instructor belt when money allows and I have a question.. I've tried on an Uncle Mikes instructor belt with the kydex reinforcing strip and loved how it felt but sadly the smallest they make is for 32-?? waist and I only have a 30 inch waist. My question is, should I spend the extra $10 to get the kydex reinforcing? Besides the firearm on my right hip I've got a flashlight and a pouch with my spare mag, smokes, lighter, cell, knife, and keys in it.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    My question is, should I spend the extra $10 to get the kydex reinforcing?
    I can't really tell you. I like the CSM, but I've never used a 5 stitch, so I can't compare them. I carry what seems to me like a lot of gear on my belt sometimes, so I just went right for the CSM. I didn't want to buy a 5 stitch and have it turn out to be not stiff enough. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast