"I recently was introduced to a 70ish year old gentleman at a retirement community in Florida who was supposedly a "firearms instructor".
He told me he was a life member of the NRA and had been an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor for years. He had migrated to South Florida from Long Island, NY.

He stated that for 40 years as a businessman in Long Island and NYC, he held a gun permit and that he had carried a gun since he dealt with large amounts of cash in his business.

He told me that he had become an instructor years ago and that he had conducted Basic Pistol and Personal Protection classes for years.
When I asked him what he carried, he told me that, when he did carry, 'these days", he carried a North American Arms .22LR mini-revolver. I asked him if he believed that this was a viable carry gun and he responded that it was all he believed he needed for close quarters. He stated that if he needed a gun it would only be in a close quarters situation and that 'several.22's in the face would surely do the job. No sense in overkill'. This gentlemen also stated that he taught some classes for helping senior citizens in South Florida obtain their carry permits!

Unsurprisingly, he had voted for Obama, stating that 'reasonable, common sense gun laws' were not objectionable to him and that the gun culture had gone to far. He stated that he disagreed with the NRA's 'agressive agenda'. Heaven forbid if I had asked him to comment on GOA, or JPOFO, or the USCCA!

Carrying when you feel like it, is like saying that you have the power to predict when you will be faced with imminent deadly peril. Limiting your 'firepower' to five rounds in a handgun that can only be counted on at 4 feet and in, and that cannot be reloaded in an emergency, is asking good 'ol Murphy to just stay out of your life. It is truly delusional. This gentleman was also smug about his beliefs. He may never be faced with imminent deadly peril, but if he is, he and his wife will have to be extremely lucky to get through the incident.

/Dr. Bruce Eimer
www.PersonalDefenseSolutions.net
www.DefensiveHandguns.com