Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SCAM ALERT!

(Monroe County)

Default SCAM ALERT!

Got this email from a friend, don't know if it's true but figure I'd pass it on just in case....

THIS IS INTERESTING, CAN YOU IMAGINE AT XMAS WHEN EVERYONE IS IN A RUSH!

It happened at Wal-Mart (Supercenter Store #1279, 10411 N Freeway 45,
    Houston, TX 77037 a month ago. I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags.
    I saw a cash-back of $40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the $40 because she couldn't delete it.
    I told her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it. I said NO! Taking the $40 would be a cash advance against my Discover & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order.
    So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed a
    cash-back of $20 popped up.
    At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it.
    The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be defective.

Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the $40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My co worker went to Milford, DE Wal-Mart last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt.
    She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK! My co-worker called Wal-Mart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this.

This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in line.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!

This is NOT limited to Wal-Mart, although they are the largest retailer so they have the most incidents

I am adding to this. My husband and I were in Wal-Mart North Salisbury and paying with credit card when my husband went to sign the credit card signer he just happen to notice there was a $20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she cancelled it. We really didn't think anything of it until we read this email.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one????

To make matters worse ...THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

Default Re: SCAM ALERT!

(Monroe County)

I keep forgetting about snopes! But are they really correct with what they say on there?
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

It's always good to check your receipts, but with all the cameras in a Wal-Mart, I have a hard time believeing a cashier would get away with pocketing anything.

Not saying it doesn't/couldn't happen, but when I worked in retail during college at a Lowe's, they stressed how you WILL be watched while you work there due to "insider" theft making up a good amount of the losses that these companies experience.

But, always good to be vigilant all the time.

you cant do cash back without running it as debit and entering the correct pin number. so she would have to know your pin number or you would have had to put it in. but for credit urchases they could not do it.

Nother reason why I don't deal with banks, checks, ATMs, credit/debit cards, etc. They're all too dangerous ! ... Be the eventual ruination of the whole world if people keep insisting on playing with them as there's way too many easy ways to snag ya ... But then ya can't fix stupid.

Learned my lesson and solved my financial headaches long ago. Been using good old fashioned cash for more than 25 years without any problems since.