Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 18% gratuity

(Bucks County)

Default 18% gratuity

Don't pay the tip....get arrested???

Couple Busted for Refusing to Pay Tip
    Patrons claim service was so bad, they had to get napkins and silverware for themselves
    By DAVID CHANG
    Updated 12:20 PM EST, Thu, Nov 19, 2009

If you’re frustrated by poor service at a restaurant, think twice before you decide to not tip. You may be in for a bit more than just a dirty look from the waiter.

"Nobody, nobody wants to be forced to pay a tip or be arrested for terrible service," Leslie Pope said when her happy hour ended in handcuffs.

Pope and John Wagner were hauled away by police and charged with theft for not paying the mandatory 18 percent gratuity totaling $16 after eating at the Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem, Pa. with six friends.

Pope claimed that they had to wait nearly an hour for their order and that she had to get napkins and silverware for the table herself.

“At this point I became very annoyed because I had already gone up to the bar myself to have my soda refilled because the waitress never came back,” Pope said.

After the $73 bill came, the group paid for food, drinks, and tax but refused to pay the tip. After explaining the bad service to the bartender in charge, Pope claimed he took their money and called police. The couple was handcuffed and placed in the back of a police car.

“I understand that, you know, we didn’t pay the gratuity, but it was a gratuity, it wasn’t something that was required,” said Wagner.

The owner admitted that the group waited unusually long for their food, but said the pub was extremely busy that night. He said managers offered to comp the food, a claim the couple denies ever happened.

“Obviously we would have liked for the patron and the establishment to have worked this out without getting the police involved,” said Deputy Police Commissioner Stuart Bedics.

Police charged them with theft since the gratuity was part of the actual bill. However, it is doubtful that the charges will hold up in front of a judge. The couple is scheduled to appear in court next month.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: 18% gratuity

Only in Filthydelphia.

I just saw this story and was about to post it. Incredible.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Beaver County)

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

part of the actual bill my %&^#%@

It's a good thing I don't live over that way or I'd drive to that eatery to give the owner a piece of my mind

(Montgomery County)

I don't see how they were arrested for theft. It's a civil issue, not criminal. They didn't get the services offered. If they only got 1/2 their meals, would they get arrested for paying 1/2 their bill?

I loath restaurants that put a min. gratuity on large parties. What incentive is there for the waitress to do a good job if she knows she's getting paid either way?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Only in Filthydelphia.

Actually it was Bethlehem.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Montgomery County)

Only in Filthydelphia.

Pope and John Wagner were hauled away by police and charged with theft for not paying the mandatory 18 percent gratuity totaling $16 after eating at the Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem, Pa. with six friends.
    Where did Philly come into play????

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Monroe County)

Only in Filthydelphia.

This took place in bethlehem.

I don't leave tips sometimes, sue me. If the waitress is a **** to me because she hates her job/her life sucks/her boss is a dick/the cook was being a jerk, then I'll give her a real reason to be a bitch next time she see's me.

If you can't come out with a smile and at least show some effort towards being polite, and your service speed is horrible, I don't have to deal with it.
    When you wonder why nobody is giving you any tips, maybe you can figure it out. I'm not going to sit there and tell my waitress how I was displeased with her service, it's not worth the hassle. As they say, money talks.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

I think the issue here stems from the bullshit "right" that the establishments like to charge for parties over a certain size. in this case when they sat down as a party of 6 they agreed to the added fee, which is complete bullshit in the first place.

I can't stand "included gratuity" as its now a FEE for visiting the place, not gratuity for good service
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Montgomery County)

Only in Filthydelphia.

last i checked bethlehem was NOT in Philadelphia.

(Delaware County)

This is bogus, i've heard some places that have required the tip be paid before the food even comes (can't remember place but around philly), i would leave if i was told this. One of the places i've frequented regularly the waitress would know my and my girlfriends drink order and would bring it without even asking, thats called earning your tip.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    Where did Philly come into play????

Quote Originally Posted by GTI19403 View Post
    last i checked bethlehem was NOT in Philadelphia.

Across the top of the page it says Philadelphia...as it is Philly's NBC new that posted it...i'm guessing thats where Paradigm got Philly...easy mistake...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast