Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building an AR

(Dauphin County)

Default Building an AR

I have a ton of other firearms which I can justify purchasing before a complete Ar. So, I figure I might as well get started as piecing these together seems easy enough. Starting with a lower (which correct me if I’m wrong is the only registered piece of the firearm) in the event the political figures go crazy again and begin banning again I’ll at least have the critical part.

Is there a wide variation in prices for lowers between manufactures? What kind of prices am I looking at if I buy a good solid mid-grade vs the low and high end?

If I wanted to build a match grade gun, worthy of amateur competition is the lower truly critical? What is the most critical part?

& what kind of price am I looking at if I build this up vs buying new (ball-park)?

Thanks,

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Building an AR

Not that you won't get a wealth of info here, but this will help too.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdus90 View Post
    I have a ton of other firearms which I can justify purchasing before a complete Ar. So, I figure I might as well get started as piecing these together seems easy enough. Starting with a lower (which correct me if I’m wrong is the only registered piece of the firearm) in the event the political figures go crazy again and begin banning again I’ll at least have the critical part.
    Nothing wrong with this at all. It's a great idea. I feel everyone should have at least one AR and one AK.

Is there a wide variation in prices for lowers between manufactures? What kind of prices am I looking at if I buy a good solid mid-grade vs the low and high end?
    Yes there is a wide spread between lowers. The biggest factor is whether the lower is forged or billet (machined from solid block). Billet is definitely the "popular" choice right now, but I'm not sure if there really is a huge difference. Price range for lowers (forged or billet) is about $99.00 - $250.

In my opinion, as long as the lower is in spec .. it really doesn't matter which one you get. They are not the most important part of a build.

If I wanted to build a match grade gun, worthy of amateur competition is the lower truly critical? What is the most critical part?
    As I said above, I don't think that they lower is critical at all, as long as it's in spec. The most critical is going to be the barrel. For competition, your other critical pieces will probably the trigger group, bolt, and gas block. I don't compete, but those would be what I would focus on. Hopefully, Lycan or another member will chime in who compete with theirs. I believe that Lycan uses a White Oak barrel in his "3 gun" gun.

& what kind of price am I looking at if I build this up vs buying new (ball-park)?

Thanks,
    It really depends on the components. I'm sure that you can get a good rifle done for $1100 - $1500.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Centre County)

Thanks,
    You can do it a number of ways.

1. Go on Ar15.com and hit the classifieds hard, watching them basically hourly to find some really good deals and you can build one pretty cheap ($450-600)

2. Go to someplace like Model 1 Sales, Del-Ton, DPMS, etc. and get a kit to put it together (probably going to be a bit higher in price)

3. Go to an AR manufacturer (Stag, Rock River Arms, DPMS, etc., and buy the individual parts (typically higher again than #2)

4. Buy a stripped lower, the lower parks kit, buttstock, and them buy a complete upper assembly and put just that together (could be cheaper or more expensive depending on the makers)

5. Of course, buy a complete rifle, either new or used (check the classifieds here and Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, etc). You may find one that someone is selling cheap because they need the money for something.

I have heard of people building one for less than $500 but I have to wonder how much time they had to put in to find all these parts, and to me my time is worth something too. And if they say, "Oh, I only searched for about 5-10 hrs, I would be hard pressed to believe them (unless they were very, very, very lucky). If I spent 100 hours doing all this searching and wheeling and dealing to build a "less than $500 gun", is it really a "less than $500" gun or more like a $1000 gun if you factor in the time you spent (time away from other interests, family, etc.)
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    Not that you won't get a wealth of info here, but this will help too.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4
    No offense Guy, but ARFcom? Seriously? The one guy who I actually trusted advice from, Quib, finally reached his limit over there and is on M4Carbine.com
    http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Yes there is a wide spread between lowers. The biggest factor is whether the lower is forged or billet (machined from solid block). Billet is definitely the "popular" choice right now, but I'm not sure if there really is a huge difference. Price range for lowers (forged or billet) is about $99.00 - $250.

In my opinion, as long as the lower is in spec .. it really doesn't matter which one you get. They are not the most important part of a build.
    The part in bold!
    A billet lower is actually weaker than a quality forging. Just make sure you don't somehow end up with a cast lower (They are floating around out there) and you should do fine. Billet vs Forging is mainly a cosmetic/personal choice, either way you go you should be fine.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Allegheny County)

Lowers are lowers as long as they're in spec. I'd almost go as far to disagree that the barrel is important, while it is to a point however the ammo is waaay more important. You'd be surprised of the groups that can be achieved with a quality milspec barrel with good ammo.

Lowers are not all that important, some companies I personally like are Stag arms, and Superior arms (newer ones, the older ones had issues using Pmags) Those two can be had any where from 90 dollars for the Superior all the way up to 175 for the Stag. I like to support Superior because they are a small home grown company.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    No offense Guy, but ARFcom? Seriously? The one guy who I actually trusted advice from, Quib, finally reached his limit over there and is on M4Carbine.com
    http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    Hell, I'm a pistol shooter that decided to build an AR as well. I went to ARF to find resources like books, vids, and look at the pretty pictures of other EBRs. I'm not even registered there. I'll check out m4c and see what's happening there.

I guess I learned something already and it's 5:45am...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    Hell, I'm a pistol shooter that decided to build an AR as well. I went to ARF to find resources like books, vids, and look at the pretty pictures of other EBRs. I'm not even registered there. I'll check out m4c and see what's happening there.

I guess I learned something already and it's 5:45am...
    Hahaha! No problem, ARFcom was the first site I joined on the recommendation of a friend. Once I found better forums I only go there to check out the Cleaning and Maintenance forums when I'm bored to see who got a patch stuck in their bore. They have one of those threads there at least once a week, and 9 times out of 10 it's an Otis. Always good for a laugh.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You can do it a number of ways.

1. Go on Ar15.com and hit the classifieds hard, watching them basically hourly to find some really good deals and you can build one pretty cheap ($450-600)

2. Go to someplace like Model 1 Sales, Del-Ton, DPMS, etc. and get a kit to put it together (probably going to be a bit higher in price)

3. Go to an AR manufacturer (Stag, Rock River Arms, DPMS, etc., and buy the individual parts (typically higher again than #2)

4. Buy a stripped lower, the lower parks kit, buttstock, and them buy a complete upper assembly and put just that together (could be cheaper or more expensive depending on the makers)

5. Of course, buy a complete rifle, either new or used (check the classifieds here and Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, etc). You may find one that someone is selling cheap because they need the money for something.

I have heard of people building one for less than $500 but I have to wonder how much time they had to put in to find all these parts, and to me my time is worth something too. And if they say, "Oh, I only searched for about 5-10 hrs, I would be hard pressed to believe them (unless they were very, very, very lucky). If I spent 100 hours doing all this searching and wheeling and dealing to build a "less than $500 gun", is it really a "less than $500" gun or more like a $1000 gun if you factor in the time you spent (time away from other interests, family, etc.)
    These are very good options ... but I'm not sure that I would make those choices if I was building a rifle for competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast