Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My 1,000th post: On Community

I apologize in advance, as this is going to be a long post. The fact that it's so long, however, is a tribute to the community here at PAFOA, a community that inspired a thousand posts.

In August 2007, I found a forum called "PAFOA" while Googling for something firearm-related. I'd never used a web forum before, and I'd only been shooting about a short time. I bought my first Glock 19 (which, incidentally, is where my handle came from: "Fracking New Guy with the Glock 19" -- FNG19) right around that time. I've been on the Internet for years in a variety of forms, so I was well-used to the concept of online discussion forums. But, like any technical field, there's a whole lot to know, and I knew that I knew very little of it.

As I look back on my first few posts, I'm just amazed by how little I knew, and how little I was right about what I thought I knew. You were all kind enough to correct my misconceptions and made a treasure trove of knowledge beyond that available to me.

Well, that was then, a thousand posts ago as of this one. At first, I felt like an outsider because there were all of these very knowledgeable people here who all seemed to know each other. Slowly, I waded a little further into the pool and got to know people here. I started to tap into the collective knowledge here, and even started to contribute some of what I learned.

Due to conversations I had here as well as my own personal feelings about carrying a firearm, I sought out training from respected firearms trainers. I even became an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor so that I could give a little back to the community by helping new folks get acclimated to our hobby, lifestyle, avocation, what-have-you. I've taken new shooters shooting, and I'm looking forward to teaching people how to do so in a more formal environment.

I watched the community close ranks around some of our own when the powers that be decided their own thoughts trumped civil rights obligations (Rich, Greg, Meleanie, John, and others!). I watched thousands of dollars being raised for legal defense funds, and even contributed some myself. I've watched the organization of picnics and shoots. I've have met dozens of friendly people I would not otherwise have had the pleasure of knowing. I've met their families, and have been invited into their homes. I've watched the community's philanthropic efforts raise money for worthy causes.

In short, during the last thousand posts, I've seen first-hand the strength of the community we have. I've seen bitter arguments between people who the next day shook hands and welcomed each other as friends. I've argued with dozens of people with divergent views, and am constantly amazed by how little people take these arguments personally even when the differences are extreme. You may not realize it, but that's pretty rare these days. There is a true sense of community amongst people here, a willingness to help each other out -- in other words, a communal spirit that seems so desperately lacking in today's world.

So, I thank all of you for these thousand posts. I'm privileged to be part of this community, and look forward to being here for another thousand.

(York County)

Default Re: My 1,000th post: On Community

If you want to show 1000 posts, you might not want to put this in the lounge as it's not going to count. Just sayin
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    If you want to show 1000 posts, you might not want to put this in the lounge as it's not going to count. Just sayin
    Yeah, I know. I just figure that's where it belongs, so that's where it went.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    it's not official yet, though...it still shows 999. =P
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    Just yankin yer chain NG.........
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    it's not official yet, though...it still shows 999. =P
    Check again.

Congratz man... I would rep ya, but it says i must spread the love.... I am in the same boat as you, feelings and expressions that you just shared... I am not yet at 1,000 posts myself... but I am right there with ya at heart... Good post man!
    ΑΣΦ

(Monroe County)

Congrats bro!
    I'll be there one day,,,, but not soon enough if I keep posting in the damn lounge!
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(York County)

Nope, it doesn't count now, everybody knows that your 1000th post was actually 999, and you had to post whore it up to get 1000!

FNG19s REAL 1000th post (the interwebs don't lie):

I feel awful that I couldn't make it. I was out of town over the weekend and my car developed problems. My suit went into the cleaners on Monday in preparation for Wednesday, and my car, unfortunately, went into the shop on Tuesday. In fact, I just got it back today (Wednesday). While I could have taken advantage of the generous offers to carpool, I had no way to get to the rally points. I mark this squarely as my loss, but I'm glad all of you were able to be there to fight the good fight.
    Ayn Rand

Thanks for sharing, Well said!
    3%er "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.." -G. K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast