Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Good Samaritan

(Luzerne County)

Default Good Samaritan

So I went to work today, as usual. I started to checkout one of the lines that would have been run today. As I went to it someone came running into the room. hurry up they yell, Carl passed out.

So another mechanic and I run to see what is going on. The other guy happens to be a vol. fireman. I was once a vol. fireman/ ambulance person. I have taken first aid / cpr courses over the years. I am currently out of certification.

We find Carl on the floor, he is unresponsive and barely breathing. we check his pulse to find none. The other guy starts chest compressions as I keep checking for a pulse. the plant manager starts mouth to mouth. This goes on until the paramedics get there. And they take over.

This guy was blue when they took him away. It is my understanding that he is now stable and in intensive care.

Now my question is. What are the current Good Samaritan laws?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Default Re: Good Samaritan

Under the Good Samaritan law, as the victim was unresponsive it is implied consent to treat. The thing is once you decide to take action, you cannot stop until you are relieved by emergency personnel or you are no longer able to perform, physically exhausted.

"NONMEDICAL GOOD SAMARITAN CIVIL IMMUNITY

Section 8332 of Title 42, Act of November 25, 1970 known as the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statues, as amended in 1978 reads:

General Rule. Any person who renders emergency care, first aid or rescue at the scene of an emergency, or moves the person receiving such care, first aid or rescue to a hospital or other place of medical care, shall not be liable to such person for any civil damages as a result of any acts or omissions in rendering the emergency care, first aid or rescue, or moving the person receiving the same to a hospital or other place of medical care, except any acts or omissions intentionally designed to harm or any grossly negligent acts or omissions which result in harm to the person receiving the emergency care, first aid or rescue or being moved to a hospital or other place of medical care.

EXCEPTIONS;

1. This section shall not relieve a driver of an ambulance or other emergency or rescue vehicle from liability arising from operation or use of such vehicle.

2. In order for any person to receive the benefit of the exemption from civil liability provided for in subsection (a), he shall be, at the time of rendering the emergency care, first aid or rescue to a hospital or other place of medical care, the holder of a current certificate evidencing the successful completion of a course in first aid, advance life saving or basic life support sponsored by the American National Red Cross or the American Heart Association or an equivalent course of instruction approved by the Department of Health in consultation with a technical committee of the Pennsylvania Emergency Health Services Council and must be performing techniques and employing procedures consistent with the nature and level of the training for which the certificate has been issued.

COMMENT;

Persons who perform procedures not specifically covered in the former mentioned training programs would NOT be covered be the Good Samaritan Law; and therefore, liable for prosecution.

Some specific skills NOT covered would include:
    USE OF A BAG MASK RESUSCITATOR, ADMINISTERING OXYGEN, USE OF SUCTION, USE OF ORTHOPEDIC STRETCHERS, RESTRAINING PATIENTS, USE OF HARE TRACTION, PERFORMANCE OF CPR WITHOUT A CURRENT CERTIFICATION IN BASIC LIFE SUPPORT FROM THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION OR AMERICAN RED CROSS, INSERTION OF ANY EXTERNAL ADJUNCTIVE AIRWAY EQUIPMENT AND USE OF M.A.S.T. PANTS."

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Good Samaritan

Quote Originally Posted by tsor39 View Post

Section 8332 of Title 42, Act of November 25, 1970 known as the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statues, as amended in 1978 reads:

General Rule. Any person who renders emergency care, first aid or rescue at the scene of an emergency, or moves the person receiving such care, first aid or rescue to a hospital or other place of medical care, shall not be liable to such person for any civil damages as a result of any acts or omissions in rendering the emergency care, first aid or rescue, or moving the person receiving the same to a hospital or other place of medical care, except any acts or omissions intentionally designed to harm or any grossly negligent acts or omissions which result in harm to the person receiving the emergency care, first aid or rescue or being moved to a hospital or other place of medical care.

That is what I thought it was. Thanks
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.