Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default I need some advice on getting a FAX machine or service.

I find myself using the fax machine more at my fulltime job for personal business, as well as my Constable work. I am allowed to do this, but I think I am getting to the point where it may be worth it to get my own fax line. I know that there are a couple different options, and I am sure that there are members here that are already familiar with both.

As I see it, I can either get another phone line, and fax machine at my house, OR I can subscribe to one of those email to fax services.

I don't have a real grasp as to the initial cost or the monthly fees associated with either.

Email to Fax:
    Pros:
    1. I can receive faxes anywhere I can read my email
    2. No need to buy a fax machine

Cons:
    1. I would need to buy a scanner in order to fax anything that I do not have an electronic copy of (which would be most)
    2. Though I don't have to buy a Fax machine, I would have to buy a printer for my home PC.

Regular FAX line:
    Pros:
    1. can fax anything without scanning it first.

Cons:
    1. Can only send or receive from one location, my house.

The pros and cons as I see it anyway.

What do you guys think? I guess I am leaning towards the email to fax, but I don't know much about it. I get a lot of emails in my SPAM folder with offers of this service for something like $5 a month.

Are these things reliable? Is it a good service to have. Are there more cons that I didn't think of?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: I need some advice on getting a FAX machine or service.

Check out www.k7.net It's free but it's 206 area code numbers. We've used it here at work and it works fine.
    The activity of the mind is life. -Aristotle

(Venango County)

Here is what I do.... I use Phone Power as my telephone company, it is a voice over internet provider much like Vonage but with much better service. They offer an incoming fax voicemail service that can forward the fax to an email address. I also have an all in one printer/fax/scanner/copier connected to the phone line that I use for outgoing faxes.

This service has been working great for me for about a year now. I have unlimited local, long distance, voicemail, fax, caller id, etc, for under $20 a month. The only downside is that if the power goes out, I lose the phone service. The service can also forward voicemails to email or cell phones.

I picked up one of those multifunction printer/scanner/copier/fax machines and it works great. Maybe you can also get one of those MagicJack things at Radio Shack for $20/year that would give you a dedicated number for it.

If you scan a lot of documents, I'd recommend a device with a sheet feeder. You can get these for about $100 these days. Check out the Brother brand...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    I picked up one of those multifunction printer/scanner/copier/fax machines and it works great.
    ^^^ I agree with this. Every computer needs a printer anyway... and a multifunction kills several birds in one footprint. You dont need a dedicated phone line for a fax...just a phone jack.

(Adams County)

Well I signed up for the K7 thing. So far I sent myself a test voicemail and it didn't send anything to my email. I will try to send a test fax later.

If this doesn't work out, I'll look into the other options posted. Thanks.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    ^^^ I agree with this. Every computer needs a printer anyway... and a multifunction kills several birds in one footprint. You dont need a dedicated phone line for a fax...just a phone jack.
    I agree with this.

We have a multifunction at home. It's hooked up to our regular phone line. If a fax comes in, it senses it and picks up the call. Most newer fax machines will do this.

http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/Model...uctID=MFC490CW
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Monroe County)

Your best bet is to get a mutli-function printer. (Print / Scan / Fax)

You can hook it up to your already existing phone line and sign up for an internet fax number, this will allow you to print whatever someone sends you and either send a fax directly or scan and send it.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.