Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Looking for a range (Philly area or close by)

Hi all.

OK let me start this off by saying that I'm a new shooter. On top of that, I'm from the UK originally so this is all new to me!

With that out of the way, I'm looking for a rifle range. I have been to Classic Pistol and although I enjoy it there, it can get a bit claustrophobic there and my wife (also a new shooter) doesn't enjoy it there more than me because of this.

Ideally, I'm looking for a range that can offer me practical carbine and pistol courses as well as a fun and safe range to plink at. Due to the claustrophobic issues, an outdoor range would probably be better for my wife and I.

I've seen Langhorne Rod and Gun Club and really liked the look of it. I like the idea of the carbine and pistol courses they run there.

However, it seems a little overwhelming what with the meeting's on specific days, and if someone could explain what "Required work hours per year 8 hours" means, that would be great.

I've also seen the Branch Valley range and the Conestoga Gun Club.

Basically, I hope that there's some of you out there that can offer me some help.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Looking for a range (Philly area or close by)

Quote Originally Posted by Macnamara View Post
    I've seen Langhorne Rod and Gun Club and really liked the look of it. I like the idea of the carbine and pistol courses they run there.

However, it seems a little overwhelming what with the meeting's on specific days, and if someone could explain what "Required work hours per year 8 hours" means, that would be great.

The first Thursday of the month is the General Meeting. Go to this meeting and fill out the forms and pay the fees.

The next month, you attend a Mandatory Safety Meeting the First Wednesday of the Month. The next night attend the General Meeting and you are inducted into the club. Actually pretty simple and you can meet a lot of nice people.

As for the work hours, the 8 hours are mandatory the first year (after that you can pay for them). The first Saturday of every month is a work Party. Show up, do some chores, and you have completed your hours.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    As for the work hours, the 8 hours are mandatory the first year (after that you can pay for them). The first Saturday of every month is a work Party. Show up, do some chores, and you have completed your hours.
    Mandatory? What kind of BS is that? I'd avoid a club like that like the plague. Asking for volunteers is one thing, however making a mandatory work day a requirement of members, no friggin way!

I joined my club to shoot there. I didn't join so I could be a garbage man, or grass cutter, or carpenter. Let some of the elected clique members do the infrastructure work. Isn't that what your dues go for?

I'm sorry but I just think that is total BS to require a work day from members. No way!
    Last edited by Poonie; November 17th, 2009 at 02:36 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Mandatory? What kind of BS is that? I'd avoid a club like that like the plague. Asking for volunteers is one thing, however making a mandatory work day a requirement of members, no friggin way!

I joined my club to shoot there. I didn't join so I could be a garbage man. Let some of the elected clique members do the cleanup. Isn't that what your dues go for?

I'm sorry but I just think that is total BS to require a work day from members. No way!

Then I am glad you joined the club you did. If it was BS to me i would not of joined. Apparently 700 agree with me.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Philadelphia County)

Theo, thanks for the response. You have made it a little clearer for me.

What are the rates for the year? Is it Application Fee $75.00 PLUS the Yearly Dues $150.00?

Also, is that per member? As I said, my wife wants to join too.

Anyone got any more info on the types of club I wish to join? Poonie, what club did you join?

(Philadelphia County)

I have not seen a nicer range than LRGC around the Philly area.

You simply cannot go wrong with them. I've been there several times, and its always clean, the people are proper, and nobody goes off on power-trips. Truly an A++ kind of place.
    Last edited by LorDiego01; November 17th, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post

I joined my club to shoot there. I didn't join so I could be a garbage man, or grass cutter, or carpenter. Let some of the elected clique members do the infrastructure work. Isn't that what your dues go for?

I'm SO glad that the "mandatory" work rule keeps people with your attitude and personality away.

Its a win-win for the club.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks Lor.

So does LRGC cater to the stuff I'd like to do? Practical Carbine / Pistol. It looks like it from the website, but I'd like to know for sure.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Macnamara View Post
    Thanks Lor.

So does LRGC cater to the stuff I'd like to do? Practical Carbine / Pistol. It looks like it from the website, but I'd like to know for sure.
    As far as I know, they host a Carbine course once a month. I've been to a few and it was a GREAT time.

They also do a yearly Zombie_Shoot, which you just missed; its a huge event that draws a TON of people.

Yes, LRGC is the club you want. Go sign up.

NOW. You won't regret it.
    ==============
    ~Samuel Adams

~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

Mac.....

Check this out, go to thumbnails.......

http://public.fotki.com/flyfishdave/...-la5b2921.html

looks like they have fun. Search Zombie shoot LRGC. good peeps....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast