Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Painting AR collapsible stock

Hey guys and girls,

As I said in a previous posting, I just bought a new MP15-22...
    I am going with a Black/Tan color scheme.

However, I don't have the cash to buy a new collapsible stock right now. Has anyone painted one of these? and if so, what brand did you use?

I ordered a tan VFG from CTD.com for like $15 shipped. I just want don't want to have that being the only tan thing on it. I also plan on getting rail covers in tan.

All opinions on painting the current stock are greatly appreciated.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Painting AR collapsible stock

I've never painted mine. but if I did I would try the Fusion Sprays made by Krylon. It actually bonds to plastic and holds up pretty well.

I sprayed 6 plastic Orlite Ar mags about 2 years ago and they have not worn off yet from putting them in and out of my rifle.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Philadelphia County)

Prep work is actually the most important part of a paint job. If you can find the color you want in Krylon's fusion line go for it. Also be sure to look for something with a matte rather than a gloss finish. To prep make sure it is clean and then give it a good wipedown with acetone with a lintless cloth to make sure there is no oil whatsoever left, this will ensure propper adhesion. Then be sure to do a couple light coats letting it dry between coats to ensure full coverage. One thick coat will not adhere as well and you have more chances of runs and fisheyes. Then set it somewhere to let it cure overnight and you should be GTG.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Chester County)

Send a PM to Strapped. He has experience painting firearms. He's pretty damn good at it too.

(Centre County)

Just be careful if using acetone to degrease on a synthetic stock. Test on an area that can't be seen, acetone and plastics (synthetics) isn't always a good mix.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Just be careful if using acetone to degrease on a synthetic stock. Test on an area that can't be seen, acetone and plastics (synthetics) isn't always a good mix.
    True, good catch. I just am used to acetone as the universal solvent from the airfield I worked at. Then again I am also used to a piss can of gasoline being the universal cleaner too. So remember to always read labels!
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Montgomery County)

I did a complete set of furniture, and my .22 mags with Krylon camouflage for when I'm using 2 ARs and have the conversion in one of them... And I've always liked experimenting with paint. I Wiped the parts down with mineral spirits and hung them in the sun to dry, then hit 'em with a coat of ultra-flat olive, and let 'em dry for a few days.
    I hang the parts with floral wire so I can move around the piece while I paint, and so I don't need to touch the piece to move it.
    After a few days cure time, I masked off the pattern, and hit the parts with a coat of ultra-flat black.
    I try to paint in the morning, or on a lunch break so the paint can cure for a few hours before I bring it in, or remove the masking.
    After the masking is removed, I let the parts hang for a few more days to cure the second color.
    I usually wear latex or nitrile gloves for this kind of painting to keep my greasy fingers away from the work until it's cured.

(Lawrence County)

I am also doing the same thing. I just finished my AR build and wanted to paint my stock, grip, and rail covers OD green. I bought some of this stuff from Duracoat. They have pretty much any color you can thing of. I haven't applied it yet but I'll post up some pics when I do.

http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by panzer5a View Post
    I am also doing the same thing. I just finished my AR build and wanted to paint my stock, grip, and rail covers OD green. I bought some of this stuff from Duracoat. They have pretty much any color you can thing of. I haven't applied it yet but I'll post up some pics when I do.

http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/
    I saw the duracoat before, but IIRC it is a lot more complex than simply shake and spray. I really don't want to mix the paint or spend too much $$$ on the process. I want it to look nice, but I just don't want to go through all that stuff... I think I would rather leave it all black than deal with duracoat.

Krylon is probably going to be my route. I just need to take some time and do it. I will definitely be doing several light coats as opposed to one heavy as someone here already suggested.
    Last edited by jachrist; November 18th, 2009 at 12:46 PM.

(Lehigh County)

I used BrakClean from the auto parts store. I fixed cars for 10 years so that is my universal solvent.

1. Clean the rifle with some type of non-residual cleaner. (make sure you mask off any optics before hand)
    2. Apply base coat and let dry. (Repeat as required to achieve the desired coverage.)
    3. Use Painters tape (masking tape) to create your pattern or cover what you don't want to get paint on.
    4. Apply next coat in color of choice.
    5. Allow an hour or so for the paint to set up before removing the masking tape.

I didn't use masking tape to create my shapes/patterns, I used leaves and foliage from the plants in my yard.

Here is an example of my work:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.