Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default French Creek, and they still don't learn....

Watch this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydh36EyGP0U

The guy seems docile enough, yet....count the number of shots.........

This is but one reason why I stopped going there.

BTW - if you don't think that is the range near French Creek, think again. The same guy is in another video shooting a shotgun at the 50 yard range and the guy taking the vid pans downrange. Its definitely at FC.

(Chester County)

Default Re: French Creek, and they still don't learn....

Judging by the video it looks just like SGL43 range with its distinct fine light grey gravel berm/hillside. If they would have panned the camera downrange then I could be 100% certain its the SGL43 range. Anyway this inability to read/follow the 3 round rule is typical. I've spent countless mornings there only because it opens @ 0800 and is 12 miles away. Never go there on a nice sunny afternoon, unless you want to deal with people violating the rules. But even the morning is not safe....

2 weeks ago I did another 0800 shoot. It was just me and one other guy (white male, big grey beard, drove a bluish grey RAV4) and he was sitting at the 50 yd tables (all way on the right) at the bench looking through the scope of his bolt action rifle, shooting a round a minute pace. I brought my gear to the bench and then waved/yelled to him "Are you clear? I want to hang targets" and he yelled back "Go ahead I'm empty" and I stared for 30 seconds waiting for him to either stand up and back a couple steps from the table to give me confidence, or at least open the bolt and kind lean back hands in lap, you know, not keep his grip on the wrist of the stock while he stared through his scope BUT he kept his wrist on his stock, eyeball to the scope so I had to trust he wasn't going to fire. Fun place that SGL43 range.

(Chester County)

Here is the other video with the same dude in it. You can clearly see its at French Creek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsZau...eature=related

(Chester County)

I occasionally shoot my garand at SGL43 and I take great pains to keep with the 3 round limit. I have to load an empty clip in and shove down three rounds at a time. I don't mind it that much because the 3 round limit makes me experience the garand "ping" more often.

When a clear is called, I also leave the bolt open and put a yellow chamber flag in. If I'm not down range, I step away from the bench. Just common courtesy to others.

Other than people lingering at the benches (but not handling weapons) while people are down range, I haven't personally seen any other unsafe practices, but I believe all of you since I see all kinds of people there with varying degrees of safety consciousness.

I admit I was guilty of it one time, momentarily "painting" somebody with the muzzle as I was taking the rifle out of the case. I knew it was unloaded coming out of the case but immediately felt guilty for having painted someone. Haven't done it since.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the other video. Yeah, that's definitely SGL43 range (French Creek State Park vicinity)

That guy should wear eye protection. Unless he just wants to look good for Youtube.

(Chester County)

And here's a guy evidently using a string to safely unload what I can only guess is a muzzleloader of some sort....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zb9s...679950&index=4

Oh the joys of French Creek!

(Bucks County)

Nice vids!

(Philadelphia County)

I stopped there once and saw 10 people on a 8 person table shooting away touching shoulders.
    I felt uneasy in my car in the parking lot,,,
    I left!
    I guess that at 8am it may be safe, But when 110% full I would run away!
    Peter

(Delaware County)

not trying to hijack but i was planning on heading to sgl 43, weekday somewhat early to avoid crowd. what do i need to bring, i have targets printed out but should i bring tape or staple gun to hold them, anything else?
    gonna be shooting a marlin model 60 so i know the 3 round limit with the tube mag is going to suck but i'll deal with it.

(Delaware County)

Malum prohibitum. I could care less how many shots a man puts in his magazine. He's the one that has to pay the fine if he gets caught. He wasn't doing anything unsafe or reckless.

But there are plenty of yahoos there that will finger fork their rifles while you are downrange, shoot up the backstops, start walking downrange while you are still shooting and on and on... Those are valid reasons not to go to SGL43.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast