Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Steel Cased - Ulyanovsk vs. Wolf

I raised a question about steel cased ammo as part of this thread, but so far haven't gotten any responses.

Hopefully, I can rephrase the 7.62x39 specific part of the question more narrowly here in the ammo forum.

Is Ulyanovsk ammo essentially interchangeable with Wolf ammo as a practical matter or does Ulyanovsk have distinguishing characteristics unto itself (for better or worse)? Dirty ammo doesn't bother me so much, but inaccurate ammo seems pointless.

Secondly, if I can get Ulyanovsk for $0.21/round, is there any advantage to paying $0.25/round for Wolf (a 19% premium)?

In other words, if Wolf is better than Ulyanovsk, is it really that much better?
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

(Berks County)

Default Re: Steel Cased - Ulyanovsk vs. Wolf

I have personally tried both and see little difference in quality. I would shoot whatever is cheaper.

(Berks County)

The stuff I have is older but it has the same style headstamp as wolf. I bet it is made in the same plant and sold under different names.

(Philadelphia County)

Hey Vortex,

I really like your idea of juggling your order to get $30 off, but wouldn't it be better to order the ammo from AIM (Tula-$200, Wolf $220 + ~$20s/h) and get it shipped to your door for $.22-24/per round?

Your $125/500 goes right out the window once you factor in 6% PA sales tax + gas and travel expenses.

YMMV.

(Allegheny County)

I believe that the Ulyanovsk stuff is the same as the Tula stuff which is basically the same as Wolf black box.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Berks County)

the uly stuff has the same headstamp as the wolf military classic as far as i can tell........i got a couple boxes and have yet to shoot it but the price is right......also you might wanna check brown bear they have been down to 110 per 500 which isnt horrible and they are accurate for ak standards and not that dirty, you can get them online from aim or ctd ive seen, cabelas has the uly for about 4.50 per 20 box on sale

(Indiana County)

Vympel Enterprise, Amursk, Russia = Golden Tiger
    Tula Cartridge works, Tula, Russia = Wolf
    Barnaul, Altai region, Russia = Barnaul & Bear
    Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works, Ulyanovsk Province, Russia = Uly & Bear

These are the major Russian plants, and are in different parts of the Russian Federation.
    Uly & Tula are approx 275 miles apart, but they could possibly share components, but are most certainly different plants.
    There appears to be some smaller plants that are producing ammo as well, or at least components such as steel cases, from what I can tell mostly under the Bear brand.

But back to the OP, Wolf is a known brand name in fancy boxes, Uly, not so much, hence the "premium" price.
    As for accuracy, meh, not many Com-bloc military style arms are tack drivers to begin with IMO, I always go lowest cost.
    I have never noticed much of a difference in accuracy, however, I mostly shoot 6" steel plates at ranges from 50 to 200 yds, so "groups" are not my thing.
    I personally would not pay 19% more for fancy boxes.

Besides all that, I actually prefer Barnaul.
    Alternate a mag with rounds of Wolf black box & Barnaul green box and you can tell the difference as far as sound, cycling, ect...
    I have had cycling problems in the past, with SKS's and AK's depending on the ammo, but never with Barnaul.