Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Barack Obama announces jobs summit

Looks like the unemployed can relax, Obama is "hold[ing] a jobs summit at the White House in December."

I want to laugh, but some people will actually think this will do something!!

The frustrating part is, much like the bailout, IF the unemployment rate goes down, it will have nothing to do with this job summit but the Government will take credit anyhow!!

Barack Obama announces jobs summit

Under pressure from a double-digit unemployment rate, President Barack Obama announced Thursday that he will hold a jobs summit at the White House in December.

Obama said a variety of business, labor and non-profit leaders will discuss job creation at the forum. He didn’t announce the date of the summit.

"Over the past 10 months, we've taken a number of bold steps to break the back of this recession," Obama says, repeating the claim that the stimulus created more than 1 million jobs. "As a result, the economy's now growing again for the first time in more than a year."

"The economic growth we've seen has not yet led to the job growth that we desperately need," he continues. "We all know there are limits to what government can and should do...But we have an obligation to consider every additional, responsible step we can."

Obama announced the summit just before taking off for his maiden trip to Asia. He said he would use that trip to talk to foreign leaders about ways to increase trade, which, in turn, could help create American jobs.

The unemployment rate hit 10.2 percent last month, putting added pressure on Obama to find way to jumpstart job growth. He’s also under fire from Republicans who say the $787 billion stimulus package hasn’t created enough jobs to stem the rising tide of unemployment.

“I’m hoping that this is not just another press conference,” House Republican Whip Eric Cantor told POLITICO. “We’ve seen a lot of these dog and pony shows out of the White House, but there’s no follow through.” Cantor complained that the White House has not listened to Republican ideas on job creation.

But Obama said he’s looking for good ideas, wherever they come from. "We are open to any demonstrably good idea to supplement the steps we've already taken to put America back to work," Obama said.

The problem for Obama is two-fold. There is very little he or any president can do to force immediate improvements in the economy, even though he’ll get blame if it doesn’t pick up. And now that the stimulus package has been approved, he has very few other tools left in his arsenal to give the economy a jolt.

The White House also has downplayed talk of a second stimulus package but announced last week that the administration is looking at targeted ways to create jobs, through more infrastructure projects and other ideas – but refused to specify them.

Democratic officials tell POLITICO that they have begun to worry that if the country does not enjoy robust job creation by next summer, the party could face devastating losses in November's midterm congressional elections.
    It appears the President can't figure out why unemployment is so high considering the Dow Jones is now above 10,000 and the "economy is growing".

What a dick!

Edit: Peter Schiff provides a better commentary than I
    Last edited by buster2209; November 16th, 2009 at 11:06 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Barack Obama announces jobs summit

I don't trust this guy to change a light bulb much less fix unemployment.

Personally, I think things are going just as he planned.....Trying to get people to look to the .gov for the "fix" and becoming more dependent on them.

I think this is just more smoke and mirrors. He saw what just happened with the recent elections, he knows if things don't at least look to be turning around that 2010 is going to be very bad for his party.

If he really wanted to fix this, he'd cut taxes and stop this insane spending. Plus, healthcare and cap and tax would just go away. But again, that is not his plan. But he needs to give the appearance that he is doing something.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Barack Obama announces jobs summit

Peter Schiff in 2010!!!

Think I read something on here where jobs that were supposedly created from the stimulus didn't even exist in districts that also didn't exist!
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty