Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Question Looking to buy first 1911

I'm interested in purchasing a 1911, preferably with a 4" barrel as I'd like to use it as my carry piece. I'm kind of on a tight budget, so I'd like to keep the cost below $1000. I know they're made in different calibers, but I want the original 1911 caliber (.45 ACP). I wouldn't mind purchasing used, as long as I know the gun has been well taken care of. Can anyone who owns a 1911 give me ideas as to what would be my best first purchase?

Thanks in advance.
    Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II .45 ACP, Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Looking to buy first 1911

Quote Originally Posted by pedaler73 View Post
    I'm interested in purchasing a 1911, preferably with a 4" barrel as I'd like to use it as my carry piece. I'm kind of on a tight budget, so I'd like to keep the cost below $1000. I know they're made in different calibers, but I want the original 1911 caliber (.45 ACP). I wouldn't mind purchasing used, as long as I know the gun has been well taken care of. Can anyone who owns a 1911 give me ideas as to what would be my best first purchase?

Thanks in advance.

You got Colt, Springfield, there is also, Citadel, RIA, any of them are well worth looking at and can be had for less then $1,000.

(Allegheny County)

You'll hear some mixed feelings about this here, but I have 2 Kimbers and they both function great, and I love them both very much. (one of them is my carry).

I've also heard lots of great things about Springfield 1911s as well. I wouldn't mind having one of those as well some time. Some people really like Taurus 1911's, and can get them to shoot reliably after a little TLC.

There are a lot of them out there. Good thing is that they're 1911's and there are parts galore available to fix/tailor anything you want (other than the frame, I guess).

If you don't mind the weight, a steel frame will soak up felt recoil a bit more, but an aluminum frame will be much lighter for carry. Do you want a standard grip frame or a bobtail frame? Just to throw some options out there for you to consider.

(Erie County)

I just got a quote a couple weeks ago for an STI Ranger II for $985. For about a $1000, this is what I'm looking at. http://www.stiguns.com/guns/RangerII/RangerII.html

(Columbia County)

A Kimber is top of the line, and a few models can be had for under $1000. From my personal experience, stay away from Para. I own one para 1911 and it stays in my safe because it rarely works.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    A Kimber is top of the line, and a few models can be had for under $1000. From my personal experience, stay away from Para. I own one para 1911 and it stays in my safe because it rarely works.
    In my experience a Kimber is not remotely top of the line.
    It is an average production gun. Springfield, and S&W are in the same league. For the money, they are not bad at all, but compared to a performance shop/custom pistol, they are very average.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Monroe County)

For a 4" barrel in your price Range:

1 Springfield Champion
    2- Kimber ultra carry
    3- Citadel Commander tactical
    4- Rock island Commander tactical.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Westmoreland County)

I've got a Springfield Loaded 1911 and love it. She retails for a little over 1k but a good gun shop will get it to you alot cheaper....just like anyother gun. That was actually my first pistol the day I hit 21 so I wanted it to be a good one. You would also be very happy with a Kimber. If its going to be a carry piece just look for something with an accessory rail, thats always a plus.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Thats an interesting observation, i have one Para and its unstoppable, i just cant get it to malfunction, solid reliability and accuracy.

What model do you have ? I'd like to know because i'm in the market for another one?

Thanks, Nyman

(Bucks County)

2 weeks ago I got a used S&W 1911PD with 4 inch barrel for $650 before taxes and fees. Great weapon. Go to the range/shop and handle a few, see what you like thats in your price range.
    The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast