Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Militias: Patriots or extremists?

Out in the woods, 30-minutes from the nearest city, the Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia meets for training once a month.

Armed with a small arsenal of semi-automatic weapons, the question that crosses your mind at one of these exercises is: training for what?

That depends on who you ask.

Our visit with the militia is the first installment of our three part series on something called "the Patriot movement."

The members of the militia in Michigan would certainly call themselves patriots. The folks at the civil rights organization, the Southern Poverty Law Center prefers to use the word "extremists."

Critics of the modern-day militia point out how some of the members of this movement are highly secretive. For example, we contacted nearly a dozen militias for permission to observe their exercises. The militia in Michigan is the only one that said yes.

Still, some of its members would not give us their names. Others wore masks.

Then there are the members' constant fears the Obama administration will eventually take away their gun rights.

Another member told us he thinks the president could be "dangerous for the nation."

In nearly the same breath that member said he hopes the militia's training exercises would give some in Washington "pause."

Not to worry, says the group's leader Lee Miracle. A military veteran and postal worker, yes postal worker, Miracle says he urges respect for the president.
    Link

There is a good video attached to the article.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Re: Militias: Patriots or extremists?

The folks at the civil rights organization, the Southern Poverty Law Center
    By Civil Rights, they mean only so long as you agree with the Southern Poverty Law Center. If you don't you are not worthy of civil rights.

I know, I know, this thread is as old as the hills but it has alot of good input, with this topic. http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/208...s-anymore.html
    3%er "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.." -G. K. Chesterton

(Monroe County)

It's a tough question to answer. As stated no doubt the SPLC views anyone that does not agree with them as extremists but then I think of people I consider patriots. No doubt Washington, Franklin, Adams , Payne etc, etc. were considered extremists by England and the loyalists. I still raise a glass to these men with my undying gratitude for what they gave us.

(Montgomery County)

I've found that it varies from one militia to the next. Michigan Militia, the one shown in the video, seems pretty level headed, legitimate, and fairly professional.

(Northampton County)

Out in the woods, 30-minutes from the nearest city, the Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia meets for training once a month.

Armed with a small arsenal of semi-automatic weapons, the question that crosses your mind at one of these exercises is: training for what?

That depends on who you ask.

Our visit with the militia is the first installment of our three part series on something called "the Patriot movement."

The members of the militia in Michigan would certainly call themselves patriots. The folks at the civil rights organization, the Southern Poverty Law Center prefers to use the word "extremists."

Critics of the modern-day militia point out how some of the members of this movement are highly secretive. For example, we contacted nearly a dozen militias for permission to observe their exercises. The militia in Michigan is the only one that said yes.

Still, some of its members would not give us their names. Others wore masks.

Then there are the members' constant fears the Obama administration will eventually take away their gun rights.

Another member told us he thinks the president could be "dangerous for the nation."

In nearly the same breath that member said he hopes the militia's training exercises would give some in Washington "pause."

Not to worry, says the group's leader Lee Miracle. A military veteran and postal worker, yes postal worker, Miracle says he urges respect for the president.
    This is not nearly as extremist as what government funded groups such as Acorn said about Bush. Crap, I agreed with half of those criticisms! And I have no doubt that these "secretive" groups, id est "private people that have no reason to disclose their business," aren't corporately structured, lawyered, and paid billions by the federal government to hide their purpose and misdeeds.

(Allegheny County)

I've always thought it would be nice to revive the "militia" concept without the crazy extremist overtones, but I think the words simply taken on too much of a stigma at this point. Something that did have some of the paramilitary aspects, but was also trained on various forms of disaster response. Kind of like a more rugged Red Cross.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    I've always thought it would be nice to revive the "militia" concept without the crazy extremist overtones, but I think the words simply taken on too much of a stigma at this point. Something that did have some of the paramilitary aspects, but was also trained on various forms of disaster response. Kind of like a more rugged Red Cross.
    I like that idea. Of course the masses would never go for it because they've been conditioned to believe that only the .gov can help people in distress.

If there was ever a TEOTWAWKI type of national emergency in this country half the population would be killed just because once the TV and internet went out they'd sit there staring at the blank screens wondering what to do.
    Last edited by rodder; November 16th, 2009 at 09:30 PM.
    Let them take arms

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    By Civil Rights, they mean only so long as you agree with the Southern Poverty Law Center. If you don't you are not worthy of civil rights.
    The Southern Poverty Law Center has never been a friend of the militia movement. They confuse Militias with Racist militias. There are fewer racists so they have to attack other groups to maintain their power and clout. I say if no laws are being broken let them alone and praise the for thir promotion of constitutional rights.

I always enjoy reading the idiotic comments attached to these CNN stories...

Tera in IL November 16th, 2009 7:34 am ET

I find the idea of the growing militia groups here in the United States. On your program this morning, someone asked "Where are all the minorities?"

Minorities do have militia's too... we just call them GANGS!"
    Nancy G November 16th, 2009 7:42 am ET

These people are nothing but a bunch of extremists who can't accept the fact that President Obama won the election. I'm curious as to what version of the constitution they want to go back to, the version before slavery and women's right to vote or after.
    Julio Guerra November 16th, 2009 7:32 am ET

George W Bush was the tyrant that really deserved our scorn. God Bless Obama!
    Wow... is there room in the handbasket for me? Because where it's going has got to be better than this place... sheesh...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast