Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Asked not to carry to class...what to do?

I am enrolled in a popular "business" class for personal improvement. The class is held at various locations around town one night a week. None of the locations are federal buildings or primary/secondary education buildings and none of them are posted. I have been in the class for about 9 weeks now. This past class I was pulled aside by the instructor and was told that a group of individuals noticed i was carrying a weapon, and asked that I do not carry it again. In an effort to not make a scene and make everyone happy I agreed. As I sat in class, the more I thought about it the more it bothered me. To the point where I walked out of the middle of the class due to the fact I was really pissed off. Now I feel awkward because I am not carrying (and am so used to). But on the same token I am no the type of person to purposefully cause a problem for people.
    I think i would have felt a lot better if the "group" of concerned people approached me directly instead of going to the instructor.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Asked not to carry to class...what to do?

I'll tell you what I would do. I'd still carry, but more concealed. You are not breaking any laws and the instructor has no power over you. Not only that, you probably payed for this class! That's what I would do and some here might not agree with me.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Monroe County)

review the documents you signed when you committed to taking the class.
    If there is no section that says "no firearms allowed while attending class", etc, then you can tell them to return you the money you paid, or explain to them that your holstered gun is not a threat. Don't bother saying "if someone walks in and starts shooting...." they will just say :"you're crazy that would never happen, not here".

Explain that the gun secured safely inside the holster is no threat to anyone.
    If they say you still can't carry, then demand a refund.
    If they won't refund the money, see them in civil court.

maybe someone else could chime in on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JIDinPhilly View Post
    I'll tell you what I would do. I'd still carry, but more concealed. You are not breaking any laws and the instructor has no power over you. Not only that, you probably payed for this class! That's what I would do and some here might not agree with me.
    That too. CC better and they will never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mioduz View Post
    I think i would have felt a lot better if the "group" of concerned people approached me directly instead of going to the instructor.
    You're expecting a lot to think a group of people afraid of the man with a gun would ever approach the scary man with a gun.
    If they didn't find it scary, they wouldn't have a problem with you carrying.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Franklin County)

what to do?
    Conceal it better

If I'm legal and I know I am, I'm not gonna bow to some sheep.

IMO you got your answer.

There is no reason anyone should know you were cc.
    In fact I have to think you were either sloppy or someone at the class knows you carry and started trouble.

Review your methods and tell them to screww off by concealing better.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Berks County)

Here's what I think, so take it FWIW:

I don't think you should carry to these classes.

In any other situation, I'd likely follow suit with others here and tell you to just CC better. But this situation is different IMHO because you gave your word to the professor and agreed to his request. I see this similar to the 4th Amendment LEO scenarios: if you don't want to be searched, don't consent. Likewise, if you want to carry, don't agree to his request. You didn't have to agree, but you did. So now, you have to choose between keeping your word and doing what you're well within your rights to do. I value my word, and do my best to honor my commitments, so if I were you I would keep my word and not carry.

Take the following not as Monday morning QB'ing, but rather advice for the future if it happens again:

Next time, ask the instructor to defer the discussion until after class, so that you have the time to articulate your point to him. At that time, make him aware that what you're doing is perfectly legal, and that you will not give up your rights just because others who were too timid to discuss it with you directly felt uncomfortable. You could even use this as an opportunity to educate him about our rights, and let him know that you can give him a flyer or two about it.

Hope it helps. I'm sure this won't be the most popular of opinions, and in the end the choice is yours, as you wouldn't be breaking any laws to continue carrying. But I believe one's character is important, and one's word shouldn't be given lightly.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Get a proper IWB holster and keep getting educated!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Conceal it better

If I'm legal and I know I am, I'm not gonna bow to some sheep.
    Yeah really.... sheep are supposed to bow down in front of you... ...oh wait, this isn't Minnesota.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast