Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Really? You can do that? That's So COOL (oh and we saw a REAL NJ Carry permit)

Another story from the Split Rock show this past weekend.

A gentleman came up to the table looking for ammo, had his wife and daughter with him (daughter about 17-18ish). Some small talk ensued and then he asked what I was carrying (open of course), told him a Kimber. He complimented me on it and mentioned it was "open, cocked and locker" after saying "is there any other way to carry a 1911" I breeched the subject of open carry by telling him I always carry like this.

His daughter said, "everywhere?" to which I responded, "Yup, the store, the bank, just about everywhere you can legally". Well her eyes lit up like a kid at Christmas and she said "That's So COOL!". I explained to them that Pa. was in fact an open carry state and that there was a pretty decent sized movement going for it. Also mentioned some of our "brothers and sisters in arms" in VA, Ohio and other states and even told them about the Open Carry movement in Ca.

Tootie came over and handed him one of the Open Carry fliers and we began to talk more.

The father mentioned he had a non-resident PA, a Florida and a NJ 'permit" ... of course at this point I gotta know how he got that. Turns out he is a bounty hunter, yup a real live bounty hunter. He also was under the impression you had to conceal in Pa. Told him to pull out the license and read what it said, which he did. I also mentioned there are many sheriffs in Pa. telling people they had to conceal but it was nonsense and we were fighting them and their propaganda whenever possible. Also mentioned the normal "not in a car, Philly etc. etc.

So the whole time we are talking this young lady is going on and on about how cool it is to OC and she wants to move here and do it, it was actually comical at times how excited she was about this concept, all while Mom is sitting there with a look on her face like "that's not going to happen" - meaning move to Pa.

We went on to talk about just about anything you can imagine, from the NJ gun laws, the way they screwed him around with his NJ permit (he was actually arrested one time in Elizabeth while working and the cop told him it was because his permit was ONLY for Ocean county had NO restrictions ) The cop told him ALL NJ permits have restrictions. Well needless to say the charges were dropped and his new permit now has a restriction that says "while in the course of doing business", he bitched and moaned to a superior court judge about this and the judge told him "You are on call 24 hours a day right? So you are always in the course of doing business!" He pulled out the two permits and showed us the one with and without the restrictions. It's weird too, the way the mark the front "restrictions" looks like it is voided out, it is in big black letter and angled across the front.

We also talked about the great 'transport' debate and he confirmed if it is locked up with the ammo separate you are good to go. He relayed a few stories of people he had bailed out that were nailed for gun restrictions and how he helped get a few of them dropped, along with his lawyer.

So anyway don't want this post a mile long, met some great people from NJ, learned about some NJ stuff while teaching them some OC stuff and found a young lady that just might be moving to Pa. some day so she too can OC.

and you know I just thought of it .. I should have gotten his card JUST IN CASE!

Oh and also, I really hope he signs up here ... the guy has a wealth of knowledge about NJ and carrying, is one hell of a nice guy and he has the site so here's hoping.
    Last edited by dc dalton; November 16th, 2009 at 04:26 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Really? You can do that? That's So COOL (oh and we saw a REAL NJ Carry permit)

Telling me you saw a NJ carry license not possessed by a former cop or some millionaire/smuggler who's paying off the PD is like telling me you not only saw a leprechaun but that he handed you a pot of gold too =p

Either way, interesting read!

Default Re: Really? You can do that? That's So COOL (oh and we saw a REAL NJ Carry permit)

Quote Originally Posted by cmanzi View Post
    Telling me you saw a NJ carry license not possessed by a former cop or some millionaire/smuggler who's paying off the PD is like telling me you not only saw a leprechaun but that he handed you a pot of gold too =p

Either way, interesting read!
    Actually we saw two (for the same person but two) so double up that gold

(Northampton County)

Wow, good story. The NJ CC part is really something.

(Wayne County)

Nice post, Dave.

I had a similar thought once. I hate going to my sister in law's in Flemington 'cuz I always have to "sanitize" myself prior to the trip. I was checking out the attorney general's website and saw that you could be licensed to carry if you were a private investigator.

Cool! I'll become a private investigator! (Hairbrain idea #7,426)

Well, upon reading the fine print, the license only cost $250/year. A big pill to swallow but, doable.

Oh yeah, then there's the $5,500 performance bond and I think some liability insurance as well. That there killed the idea.

It was a nice idea while it lasted.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(York County)

tell the daughter she is welcome to move to our fine state as soon as she can.

As for the NJ permit... didn't happen without pics LOL
    Sorry couldn't help it had to go there.

Now for the next item on the scavenger hunt you need to find a MD permit held by someone who does not own a business or was in law enforcement.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    Now for the next item on the scavenger hunt you need to find a MD permit held by someone who does not own a business or was in law enforcement.
    Gee, I wasn't aware I was on a 'hunt'

(Lycoming County)

When I first read the title I said to myself "you have a better chance of seeing a mt. lion than a NJ Permit"

So is the permit for employment purposes, similar to LWTA (Act 235)? Also, do you recall if it was firearm specific? Just curious.

Be safe (and shocked, as shit).

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    When I first read the title I said to myself "you have a better chance of seeing a mt. lion than a NJ Permit"

So is the permit for employment purposes, similar to LWTA (Act 235)? Also, do you recall if it was firearm specific? Just curious.

Be safe (and shocked, as shit).

Scott
    Well I guess that's where the restrictions come in. As the cop told him "All permits have a restriction" ... in reality though they should probably call the "permitted uses"

And no the permit does not have any weapon specific information.

He got his because of his company (bounty hunter) .. he did also tell us many of the other bounty hunters do NOT have them and have to call him to handle people they feel are too dangerous to go after unarmed. Problem is most these other people only charge 3-4% of the bail, he gets 10%.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Gee, I wasn't aware I was on a 'hunt'

Oh you'r on a HUNT, you have just now been informed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast