Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default To pocket carry or not to pocket carry

I am in the process of picking out a ccw. I am strongly leaning towards a Kel Tec P3-AT. I have to be honest with myself....if the gun is heavy and/or inconvenient to carry, then I won't carry it. I figure better that I go smaller caliber and have a gun on me, then no gun at all. I was planning on going with a pocket holster for the Ket-Tec. I got to wondering though....how easy is it to draw out of your pocket? Most of my jeans are neither tight nor baggy. I have to dig to get my hand into my pocket. How quickly or easily would I be able to get my hand into the pocket to draw quickly (even with practice)? Would I be better off getting a good holster for inside the pants on my right hip? I know that no matter what kind of holster I get, I need to pratice practice practice!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: To pocket carry or not to pocket carry

I consider pocket carry to be as your user ID.

Consider a more practical piece, with proper holster and belt.

You may be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to conceal a proper handgun with the right holster and belt and of course a little modification to clothing fit. If you take a defensive handgun or tactics class(es) you'll see very quickly why pocket carry is really a poor option.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Montgomery County)

I regularly pocket carry my Smith and Wesson 642 and have not had any major problems. I practice drawing from concealment regularly and of course reloading. If so inclined, take a look at compact revolvers. They are not for everyone, yet they are potent weapons.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    .... If so inclined, take a look at compact revolvers. They are not for everyone, yet they are potent weapons.
    But so much more useful, safer and quicker to deploy when carried in a holster--- Pockets are not holsters

Just sayin

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Northampton County)

I sometimes pocket carry a scandium J frame. I carry it in a cargo pocket(using a pocket holster) rather than a hip pocket.

Pa Patriot is right.....a good belt & holster make all the difference. With the right stuff a gun will conceal & carry nicely.

With a Galco 3 slot & a 511 belt I can carry a Ruger sp 101 all day with ease.

Rockledge, Abington Township, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)

I have carried that Kel-Tec P3-AT in a pocket holster.
    Most of the timel, I ended up putting it inside my jeans on my hip.

it was a PITA to get it out of my pocket even when I was putting it away for the night.

I had posted about when I needed to pull that weapon. Had it been in my pocket, it would have been useless.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    But so much more useful, safer and quicker to deploy when carried in a holster--- Pockets are not holsters

Just sayin
    Permit me to clarify, in a Safariland pocket holster. And yes, I endorse pocket carry only with a pocket holster.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lancaster County)

I pocket carry my LCP in a Desantis Nemsis everywhere I go. Drawing from a pocket is not the greatest, but if it is your only option, then it is the best option. As said by others, if you spend some time and money you can conceal anything. Please be sure to purchase a good pocket holster if you go thsi route. Pocket carry without a holster is asking for trouble.
    It's also much better to be an evicted survivor than an obedient corpse. -GunLawyer001

(Pike County)

I often carry a p3at in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster. This is my CC when I can't carry anything bigger gun.
    I also use this set up every day at work for my BUG.
    I think that one of the issues that the OP may have is pants selection. Many jean pockets are not the best for a pocket holster. As for me, I don't wear jeans, even off duty.
    If you want to CC well the selection of clothing becomes important.
    I have 2 other holsters for my p3at's, and I almost never use either of them.

BTW, for me, I love the p3at so much a bought a second one, just in case.
    Both function flawlessly with Cor-Bon PowRBall.

(Clearfield County)

I pocket carry my Kimber Ultra CDP (3") in a pocket holster. I'm a big guy and normally wear docker style pants, which have nice, deep pockets. Just cinch the belt a notch and I'm good to go.

Actually, the best way I've found to carry my XD45 (5") is with a belly band holster. Wear it all day with no problems, did so in Harrisbugh on Saturday at the March. I like that better than the Super Tuck, which is pretty good, but I can't get the positioning just the way I want it for all day carry.
    "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." G.K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast