At least that is what I think every time I see something like this (from the PAFOA ad links) -

I also wrote about this rather extensively in my first thread posting over two years ago.

The general idea is that if you group your in-store ammo purchases into amounts just over $150, you can check out, get $30 off, take the ammo out to the car, go back into the store and keep repeating this until you run out of money. Essentially it equates to a 20% discount off of your ammo purchase (or anything else you can buy in increments of $150).

The modern day twist of course, is that when you do drive to Cabela's today, it turns out they don't have the ammo you are looking for. Wasted trip, wasted gas and so on.

Fast forward to a new and improved twist on an old idea. I don't know if this existed before, but Cabela's now supports ordering ammo online and then shipping it to the store at no additional cost. So figure out an online ammo order that is just over $150 and navigate to this Cabela's page. They will email you (almost instantaneously) a redemption code that will be entered in the Cabela Bucks part of the order form. The $30 is deducted before you even enter your CC information.

Now, how do you get in line to do this again through the Cabela's web site? It seems they have thought of this, but have still decided to let you do this once a day. I've tried it on two consecutive days and I can report that it does in fact work. You do have to ask (via the link above) for a new redemption code each day, but as I mentioned, the turn around is in seconds.

Another potential multiplier is to get a friend with a different email address (and possibly CC information) to put additional orders in for you. Just be sure that your friend changes the pickup information into your name, so he (or she) doesn't have to go to the store with you to pick up the order (unless they want to, of course). So, you have three days (tonight included) to save yourself $90 off of $450 of ammo multiplied by the number of friends you have (if you're so inclined).

When they notify you that the first order is in the store, ask them to hold it until the last order shows up and then make a single trip to get all of the orders in one fell swoop.

My first two orders (on consecutive days) were for brass cased 7.62x39 rounds (Fiocchi - $120/200 and American Eagle - $140/200). Brass cased, copper jacketed ammo always seems to be a safe bet. Now they do have a steel cased brand on sale that I'm not familiar with, Ulyanovsk - $130/500. If I follow my ordering logic with the promotion above and add five 20 round boxes (@ $5 each), I get an order value of $155. Subtract $30 and I am getting 600 rounds for $125 or just under $0.21 a round (taxes not included).

That seems like a reasonable deal to me, provided that Ulyanovsk is shootable ammo. From googling, it seems that Ulyanovsk is considered to be a "dirty" form of Wolf ammo. Of course, a lot of people think Wolf ammo is "dirty".

Cabelas.com appears to have three different brands of virtually identical steel cased bulk ammo. Polymer steel cases, presumably bi-metal (i.e. steel jackets) and identical bullet weights. The brands are Ulyanovsk, Herters and Wolf.

Do the Ulyanovsk and Herters rounds have different head stamps? Is it worth it to get the Ulyanovsk on sale or would it be safer (i.e. more reliable ammo) to go with the Wolf Military Classic in 124 grains?

By the way, I have had extensive discussions over the phone with both corporate product support and the hunting department at Hamburg. So far, nobody knows for sure. If someone with direct experience can comment on the merits (or lack of merit) for each of these brands, I would appreciate it.

Final Note: If the product links don't work (and Cabelas.com doesn't seem to support direct product linking in any reasonable fashion), then just search for "Herters 7.62" and so on. The link to the $30 rebate submission form is in the flash animation on their home page, if the direct link I included above fails.