Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Some advice for my coworker please

I had a discussion with a coworker about a neighbor of his last week. The behavior he told me about is a little disconcerting, but the question is what to do? He, the coworker already told his brother, who is a local PD, but it appears nothing is being done, or can be done.

I'll probably forget chunks, he's been telling me about this guy for about a year. Generally seems to be an unstable drunkard who is irresponsible, has a boatload of guns, and keeps them all loaded all the time.

1)has a boatload (3 24-36 gun safes worth that my buddy is aware of) of guns - my response - 'good for him'
    2)stockpiles ammo - my response - 'good for him with how ammo prices keep going up'
    3)keeps them all loaded all the time - my response - 'a little excessive, but so what'
    4)is a drunkard - my response - 'ehhhh'
    5)is a violent drunk - my response - 'not good for someone who carries all the time'
    6)threatened to shoot his wife (hearsay, neighbor's wife told coworker's wife this) - my response - 'that's bad'
    7)has made his wife drive him out to the woods to hunt before because he was too drunk to drive - my response - 'what an asshole'
    8)CC's constantly - my response - 'so what'
    9)but doesn't go to the range, hasn't for years - my response - 'that's dumb'
    10)various other strange behaviors to lengthy to list here, but here's an example: over the summer, there was a misunderstanding, that led the neighborhood to thing there was an active breakin happening down the street. Neighbor runs back to the house, grabs his AR and starts running around in the woods with it behind the house where the supposed breakin was taking place.

Most of the parts, taken by themselves, are not bad, but when one looks at the sum of those parts, it's enough to concern me, and definitely enough to concern my coworker.

My question is, what, if anything can someone do if they see warning signs? Obviously, that's subjective, and is a pandora's box of sorts. If the govt. has the power to be preemptive, someone can and will abuse it eventually. What more could be done? My coworker is afraid he's going to kill his wife or someone else eventually, and given all the stories, I think it very likely. Maybe what happened to SFN has made me paranoid?

Again, what, if anything could someone do, and who would that be?

Default Re: Some advice for my coworker please

Until he actually does something, Illegal, not much.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    I had a discussion with a coworker about a neighbor of his last week. The behavior he told me about is a little disconcerting, but the question is what to do? He, the coworker already told his brother, who is a local PD, but it appears nothing is being done, or can be done.

I'll probably forget chunks, he's been telling me about this guy for about a year. Generally seems to be an unstable drunkard who is irresponsible, has a boatload of guns, and keeps them all loaded all the time.

1)has a boatload (3 24-36 gun safes worth that my buddy is aware of) of guns - my response - 'good for him'
    2)stockpiles ammo - my response - 'good for him with how ammo prices keep going up'
    3)keeps them all loaded all the time - my response - 'a little excessive, but so what'
    4)is a drunkard - my response - 'ehhhh'
    5)is a violent drunk - my response - 'not good for someone who carries all the time'
    6)threatened to shoot his wife (hearsay, neighbor's wife told coworker's wife this) - my response - 'that's bad'
    7)has made his wife drive him out to the woods to hunt before because he was too drunk to drive - my response - 'what an asshole'
    8)CC's constantly - my response - 'so what'
    9)but doesn't go to the range, hasn't for years - my response - 'that's dumb'
    10)various other strange behaviors to lengthy to list here, but here's an example: over the summer, there was a misunderstanding, that led the neighborhood to thing there was an active breakin happening down the street. Neighbor runs back to the house, grabs his AR and starts running around in the woods with it behind the house where the supposed breakin was taking place.

Most of the parts, taken by themselves, are not bad, but when one looks at the sum of those parts, it's enough to concern me, and definitely enough to concern my coworker.

My question is, what, if anything can someone do if they see warning signs? Obviously, that's subjective, and is a pandora's box of sorts. If the govt. has the power to be preemptive, someone can and will abuse it eventually. What more could be done? My coworker is afraid he's going to kill his wife or someone else eventually, and given all the stories, I think it very likely. Maybe what happened to SFN has made me paranoid?
    Again, what, if anything could someone do, and who would that be?
    Now see there is the rub.
    Everyone wants’ to live in a free society. In a free society you are free to be an asshole, you are free to be a dumbass, you are free to be or do what ever you want short of affecting someone else’s Rights.

Now to be preemptive you would not be living in a free society.
    You can't have it both ways.

You can not persecute/prosecute someone who has not done anything illegal

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%, Check that, 1 of the 1%
    Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Somerset County)

About all I can add is to ask "Is your coworker a gun owner?"

Might make a difference should Mr.Potential Problem become Mr. Problem.

Dale

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    About all I can add is to ask "Is your coworker a gun owner?"

Might make a difference should Mr.Potential Problem become Mr. Problem.

Dale
    good Q, i asked him the same. he still has a valid LTCF but got rid of all the firearms, was nervous about the kids. he's considering getting a replacement now.

(Delaware County)

Tough call, eh?

On the one hand, he has a right to be an idiot, as long as no one else gets hurt, but now you know a little of the concern that non-gun folk feel about the rest of us.

Your worry is that he'll act irresponsibly with his weapons. Their concern is that we'll act the same way. Difference? You have a background with weapons and recognize that this guy is a hazard, to himself and others.

Your buddy can call the police, and/or the Sheriff's office. If the guy's a drunk, with a LTCF, he could easily CC while intoxicated, and that'll at least get his LTCF revoked. Probably more. (I'm not a lawyer, don't know all the rules, call it an educated guess.)

I think the answer is to tell your buddy to call the police and explain the situation. Tough call, but the right one. (OK, flame suit on.) As responsible gun owners, we need to be vigilant about following the law, and drunk hunting, threatening others, CC or open carry while drunk, ain't that. If your buddy has FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE of these behaviors, he has an obligation to report it.

Suppose this guy goes nuts, shoots up his place or the neighbor's, then we have a tragedy, and one more nail in the coffin for guys who own weapons and use them responsibly.

DM

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by edstephan View Post
    Now see there is the rub.
    Everyone wants’ to live in a free society. In a free society you are free to be an asshole, you are free to be a dumbass, you are free to be or do what ever you want short of affecting someone else’s Rights.

Now to be preemptive you would not be living in a free society.
    You can't have it both ways.

You can not persecute/prosecute someone who has not done anything illegal

I'm no lawyer, but I believe threatening to kill your wife is illegal. Granted, the OP said it's hearsay, but it's still a very serious issue. As is being a "violent" drunk.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    I'm no lawyer, but I believe threatening to kill your wife is illegal. Granted, the OP said it's hearsay, but it's still a very serious issue. As is being a "violent" drunk.
    Hearsay is just that....

The drunk part, may get a LTCF revokation...If it can be proved...

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Hearsay is just that....

The drunk part, may get a LTCF revokation...If it can be proved...
    Yuppers. The ol' habitual drunkard clause...

I'm not advocating dragging this guy in front of the cops because of hearsay. I'm just saying that if it's true, that's a huge problem. Ultimately, the wife has to get off her duff and resolve the problems under her roof. The neighbor just has to watch his own property.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Yuppers. The ol' habitual drunkard clause...

I'm not advocating dragging this guy in front of the cops because of hearsay. I'm just saying that if it's true, that's a huge problem. Ultimately, the wife has to get off her duff and resolve the problems under her roof. The neighbor just has to watch his own property.
    Yep, we are on the same page.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast