Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default We Can't Sit Back and Allow the Loss of Our Freedoms

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/...losi-congress/

Updated November 10, 2009

We Can't Sit Back and Allow the Loss of Our Freedoms

by Andrew Napolitano

We elect the government. It works for us. As we watch the Democrats' plans for health care take shape, we can only ask how did our government get so removed, so unbridled, so arrogant that it can tell us how to live our personal lives?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Saturday, at 11 o’clock in the evening, the House of Representatives voted by a five vote margin to have the federal government manage the health care of every American at a cost of $1 trillion dollars over the next ten years.

For the first time in American history, if this bill becomes law, the Feds will force you to buy insurance you might not want, or may not need, or cannot afford. If you don’t purchase what the government tells you to buy, if you don’t do so when they tell you to do it, and if you don’t buy just what they say is right for you, the government may fine you, prosecute you, and even put you in jail. Freedom of choice and control over your own body will be lost. The privacy of your communications and medical decision making with your physician will be gone. More of your hard earned dollars will be at the disposal of federal bureaucrats.

It was not supposed to be this way. We elect the government. It works for us. How did it get so removed, so unbridled, so arrogant that it can tell us how to live our personal lives? Evil rarely comes upon us all at once, and liberty is rarely lost in one stroke. It happens gradually, over the years and decades and even centuries. A little stretch here, a cave in there, powers are slowly taken from the states and the people and before you know it, we have one big monster government that recognizes no restraint on its ability to tell us how to live. It claims the power to regulate any activity, tax any behavior, and demand conformity to any standard it chooses.

The Founders did not give us a government like the one we have today. The government they gave us was strictly limited in its scope, guaranteed individual liberty, preserved the free market, and on matters that pertain to our private behavior was supposed to leave us alone.

In the Constitution, the Founders built in checks and balances. If the Congress got out of hand, the states would restrain it. If the states stole liberty or property, the Congress would cure it. If the President tried to become a king, the courts would prevent it.

In the next few weeks, I will be giving a public class on Constitutional Law here on the Fox News Channel, on the Fox Business Network, on Foxnews.com, and on Fox Nation. In anticipation of that, many of you have asked: What can we do now about the loss of freedom? For starters, we can vote the bums out of their cushy federal offices! We can persuade our state governments to defy the Feds in areas like health care -- where the Constitution gives the Feds zero authority. We can petition our state legislatures to threaten to amend the Constitution to abolish the income tax, return the selection of U.S. senators to state legislatures and nullify all the laws the Congress has written that are not based in the Constitution.

One thing we can’t do is just sit back and take it.
    Andrew Napolitano should run for office!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: We Can't Sit Back and Allow the Loss of Our Freedoms

"In the Constitution, the Founders built in checks and balances. If the Congress got out of hand, the states would restrain it. If the states stole liberty or property, the Congress would cure it. If the President tried to become a king, the courts would prevent it."

Someone needs to check the balances, and would czar be another work for king?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by CG1492 View Post
    "In the Constitution, the Founders built in checks and balances. If the Congress got out of hand, the states would restrain it. If the states stole liberty or property, the Congress would cure it. If the President tried to become a king, the courts would prevent it."

Someone needs to check the balances, and would czar be another work for king?
    I hear ya. The public school system has indoctrinated into people that the Fed is the supreme ruler of the land. The checks and balances will eventuality work, we are just a low point at the moment.

There are plenty of threads on this forum about states enacting laws to stand up to the Fed, but it is essentially the people who have to vote good people in and not the douches we have in now.

(Chester County)

douchbags vote for douchbags......lets ban douchbags

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by buster2209 View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/...losi-congress/

I so have a man-crush on the Judge.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    FYI, TMI! lol

How's that for writing like a 12yr old??

(Bucks County)

we can only ask how did our government get so removed, so unbridled, so arrogant that it can tell us how to live our personal lives?
    Because WE let them. Can't we finally stop with the F'ing boogie man attitude where we are just poor little victims of the mean evil 'THEM".

THEM = US

Nobody has taken power that was not given to them. Nobody is oppressing us without our consent, even if such consent is given via apathy.

Until we get this revolutionary concept through our thick skulls nothing will ever change, no matter the tons of internet post wishing the grass was blue and the sky green.

I would never vote for any bozo who considers me a poor helpless victim.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    I would never vote for any bozo who considers me a poor helpless victim.
    Of course you wouldn't.....

(Bucks County)

Of course you wouldn't.....
    Do you also have my credit report along with my voting records?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post

0100 0010
    I am ashamed of those who represent me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast