Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: S&W M&P 15-22 Review

nice... thanks for the close up... please post some range reports when you shoot it with the hider...

(Carbon County)

Just a quick note to anyone who has this and has problems with shells not ejecting.

It could be the ejector. I had problems with mine, started to stove pipe after every shot. The little metal ejector is very sensitive to pressure. the first time I cleaned it, after shooting it, I ran a bore snake down mine and it snagged. I started to have problems then, but progressively got worse.

I took it to Pa Patriot and he did a search online for stovepipes in the M&P 15-22, and after reading a few forums we came across someone with a very similar problem. Most who had the problem sent theirs back to S&W, said they had their ejectors replaced. One of the last threads we read, the guy was having a problem after 2-3 rounds and started to tinker with his ejector and the problem started to go away. Well last night Rich started to tweak my ejector and the problem started going away. Finally after one last tweak it seems he got it. I am going to run a couple of mags through it today and see how it does.

I will give a report later, but it seems to be a common theme with these.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for play, but the slightest bump or bend in the ejector and it throws it off a lot.

Picture of my problem, circled in red.

Just wanted to give a heads up for prospective or new owners. Also BIG thanks to Pa Patriot, for helping out with the threading and fixing my ejector problem.

Jim
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Carbon County)

Update: I was just outside and put 40 rounds flawlessly through it. Not a single jam. I will put more through it later, but so far so good. Thanks again, Rich.

Jim

(Northampton County)

I just got one of these and I took it down to the range today. I put about 400 rounds through it and had 4 or 5 failure to ejects. It seemed to happen more if I tried to fire rapidly, usually jamming on the 11th or 12th round. I only tried that twice.

(Monroe County)

about 1000 rounds thru the Sig 522 and not a single problem to speak of, then then i want some better sights for it.

looks like S&W and Sig have done something the GSG cant do. run rather smoothly and be reliable. my GSG today gave me 12 fail to fires due to light strikes out of 100 rounds. sure they went off the second time around, but the Sig went bang every time.

id still like to shoot the M&P for comparison tho..
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    about 1000 rounds thru the Sig 522 and not a single problem to speak of, then then i want some better sights for it.

looks like S&W and Sig have done something the GSG cant do. run rather smoothly and be reliable. my GSG today gave me 12 fail to fires due to light strikes out of 100 rounds. sure they went off the second time around, but the Sig went bang every time.

id still like to shoot the M&P for comparison tho..
    rovert97, you are more than welcome to shoot mine. We need to get together for a shoot someday. You are not too far.

Solo, did you try tweaking the ejector I pointed out in my pic? I had the same problem and after Pa Patriot messed with it, I didn't have a single problem. Mine bent from a bore snake and just got worse. On another site, someone posted that they hit it with a cleaning rod and started to have problems. It seems there is very little tolerance with them, and if you hit it and bend it just a little bit, you will have issues.

Jim

(Northampton County)

I haven't really checked out the ejector to see if it was bent. Another problem that I had, that I forgot to mention, was that the bolt didn't stay open after the last round was fired on a few occasions. I'm hoping to get down to the range tomorrow early before it gets crowded and pay a little more attention to what's happening and when and with which magazine. I was at a gun show today and I saw that a guy had one of these rifles but I didn't see the price on it. I didn't see any extra mags at his table either.

(Carbon County)

If you live closer I would invite you up to my place. I have a nice little range in my backyard.

As far as the ejector, the bend only has to be minor, (hardly even noticeable) to have issues. Mine didn't even look like it was bent, but the most minuscule bend was all it took. Pa Patriot barely bent mine and it has been running 100% better.

Jim

(Northampton County)

I took it down to the range today and had three to five failures each time that I put the magazine in. Sometimes the brass didn't eject, sometimes the round didn't chamber properly. The bolt would smash the cartridge upwards and it looks like I have all of these little dings where the bullets got jammed. A couple of live rounds stovepiped with the rim of the cartridge still being held in the magazine. I just got the rifle last week so I guess I should contact S&W and see what to do. I don't want to start messing with the ejector myself and making it worse.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    I took it down to the range today and had three to five failures each time that I put the magazine in. Sometimes the brass didn't eject, sometimes the round didn't chamber properly. The bolt would smash the cartridge upwards and it looks like I have all of these little dings where the bullets got jammed. A couple of live rounds stovepiped with the rim of the cartridge still being held in the magazine. I just got the rifle last week so I guess I should contact S&W and see what to do. I don't want to start messing with the ejector myself and making it worse.
    Well, it sounds like you are having the same exact problem I was. Take it to a gunsmith and tell him what's going on and explain to him what I told you. It sounds like the ejector is slightly bent. Before you send it to S&W, try a local gunsmith. If that is the problem, it will be a lot better than waiting a month or so for S&W to get, repair, and send it back. That's your choice though, but it seems like a common theme with these. Just sayin.

Jim

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast