Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Another Reason to Hate Unions: SEIU Targets Eagle Scout Project

http://www.mcall.com/news/all-a8_5sc...,6238384.story

Union troubled by Eagle Scout project in Allentown
    After layoffs, SEIU president complains about city's use of volunteers, contractors

By Jarrett Renshaw of THE MORNING CALL
    10:59 a.m. EST, November 15, 2009

In pursuit of an Eagle Scout badge, Kevin Anderson, 17, has toiled for more than 200 hours hours over several weeks to clear a walking path in an east Allentown park.

Little did the do-gooder know that his altruistic act would put him in the cross hairs of the city's largest municipal union.

Nick Balzano, president of the local Service Employees International Union, told Allentown City Council Tuesday that the union is considering filing a grievance against the city for allowing Anderson to clear a 1,000-foot walking and biking path at Kimmets Lock Park.

"We'll be looking into the Cub Scout or Boy Scout who did the trails," Balzano told the council.

Balzano said Saturday he isn't targeting Boy Scouts. But given the city's decision in July to lay off 39 SEIU members, Balzano said "there's to be no volunteers." No one except union members may pick up a hoe or shovel, plant a flower or clear a walking path.

"We would hope that the well-intentioned efforts of an Eagle Scout candidate would not be challenged by the union," said Mayor Ed Pawlowski in an e-mail Friday. "This young man is performing a great service to the community. His efforts should be recognized as such."

Balzano said Saturday the union is still looking into the matter and might cut the city a break.

"We are probably going to let this one go," Balzano said .

Anderson, a junior and varsity soccer player at Southern Lehigh High School, is a member of Boy Scout Troop 301 of Center Valley.

He got the idea for the trail while taking hikes along the partially complete, 165-mile Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage Corridor. He noticed there were a few missing connections to the trail in Kimmets Lock Park, which is on the Lehigh River near Dauphin Street. He already has logged 250 hours trying to carve out a walking and biking trail along the river.

"I decided to do my part in completing this part of the trail. In that way, others could enjoy walking along the river, without having to walk on the busy road," Anderson said in an e-mail Friday.

- Boy Scout wants to become Eagle Scout
    - Boy Scout discovers way to help community
    - Community gives Boy Scout its blessing
    - Union thug threatens Boy Scout

Classy. Brought to you by the same folks who brought you Barack Obama, as well as the violent anti-tea party protests.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

Default Re: Another Reason to Hate Unions: SEIU Targets Eagle Scout Project

Well, it shouldn't be long till the Union supporters flame you....

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Well, it shouldn't be long till the Union supporters flame you....
    Meh...it happens. First, they will need to get all worked up by their local union thug, then they will need to go to the hall, be told how they should vote, then take a vote, then go grab a few beers (minus their newly fleeced union dues), then go home and log in to flame me. I should be safe for a few days.

If someone wants to support the SEIU over an Eagle Scout, have at it...
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Lebanon County)

"We'll be looking into the Cub Scout or Boy Scout who did the trails," Balzano told the council.

Really now. What kind of dirt will they dig up on a Boy Scout? Did he cheat to get one of his Merit Badges? Are they gonna pay him a little "Visit"? Yeah, that'll teach that kid to try to improve his community.

(Somerset County)

Dang ! They have sunk to new lows .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Meh...it happens. First, they will need to get all worked up by their local union thug, then they will need to go to the hall, be told how they should vote, then take a vote, then go grab a few beers (minus their newly fleeced union dues), then go home and log in to flame me. I should be safe for a few days.

LMAO!!!!!!!!

Incoming!

(Bucks County)

Amen. Unions have been slowly destroying our country for 40+ years. This guy is amazingly arrogant as most union heads are.

I am surprised that more union members don't realize that unions have become exactly what they once fought against. They are nothing more than extortionists and thugs anymore.

I hope the city tells the union where they can shove their grievance.

(York County)

well it looks like it's time to ban boy scouts. Their do good unselfish ways are not met for this world. How dare he spend his free time cleaning up walking trails to benefit everyone. He should be out smoking crack and manufacturing meth like everyone else.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Chester County)

http://www.mcall.com/news/all-a8_5sc...,6238384.story

- Boy Scout wants to become Eagle Scout
    - Boy Scout discovers way to help community
    - Community gives Boy Scout its blessing
    - Union thug threatens Boy Scout

Classy. Brought to you by the same folks who brought you Barack Obama, as well as the violent anti-tea party protests.

Sad, really. No, more like down right pathetic. Just goes to show how low unions will stoop. "We are probably going to let this one go." So, what, the next Boy Scout that steps on their toes is going to sleep with the fishes?

(Luzerne County)

It takes a while for a trail to grow over enough to need so much work. The union slugs who were supposedly caring for it are pissed now that someone is actually doing the work?

The Boy Scouts are tough in court. Lots of Scouts scattered throughout political positions, and sitting on benches. Bring it SEIU.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast