Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 1911 Question

(Cumberland County)

Default 1911 Question

Rookie here, and had a question about a problem that just started today when I took my Llama 45 to the range. Its a 30+ year old in perfect shape and functions great - until today. After every few shots, the safety slides up and I then have to disengage it. Around the same time, the slide fails to lock open after the last round. My guess is that long "spring" between the catch and the safety maybe worn ? Am I on the right track - lol.

Thanks
    Steve

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: 1911 Question

The safety can only move all the up while the slide is forward and the hammer is cocked. If it is moving up while you are firing, then it would have to do that within the time the slide goes into battery and the time you try to fire. It can't really creap up

I would first look at the way you are holding the pistol. Do you keep your thumb above or below the safety. It may be that you are moving it and may not notice it. Was it working up to some point in time were a change to the pistol was made? Check the edge surface of the safety where plunger applies force. Is the surface worn?

Then you should consider the spring. How far does the plunger stick out when the safety is removed and then how far is it sticking out when it is in position against the safety? Although I don't have a value right now but the difference between the two positions should be very noticeable. You should have to press the plunger into the tube to fully insert the safety. If there is not much difference then you should check the plunger and spring to ensure they move freely.

If they do then you may have to stretch the spring. Be sure you check everything you can before modifing the spring. Measure it's length before you do anything at all. Then stretch it a small amount and then measure again, you want to do this in small amounts as it is difficult to return the spring to a shorter length.

Bob

(Cumberland County)

Great info., thank you ! I'll check next time to see if it is my thumb and the way I am holding it. I have not had this 1911 long, but the frist few times I fired it - all was ok. The safety issue started, then the slide not locking open when empty. I'll check the spring as you suggested too.
    Thanks !

(Dauphin County)

If the slide is not locking after the last round is fired it could have something to do with the plunger spring also. But in the meantime check to see that the slide stop moves easily through it's movement when the magazine is released and the slide is positioned such that the notch is aligned with the stop. The stop should catch the slide by .075" or more. Use that number just for reference, not to adjust anything. Next check that the slide will move rearward more than 3/16" to 1/4" past where it would be normally locked. This is to check that you have enough travel in case something like shock-buffs have been added or have something else has been changed. Last thing is to check to see if the follower in the magazine is engaging the slide stop in the mag well. It should be very difficult to release the slide stop with a magazine inserted. Hopefully you can see where the follower hits and can judge if there is a chance that it misses the slide stop.

Bob