Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Travel to OH: What do I need to know?

I figure that one of you Erie types or a P-Burgher or two might be able to clue me in on do and don't stuff for OH CC (which I can on my FL CCW). I have to go for a wedding in the near future and the reception is at a place that serves alcohol, so I figure that that's out right there. Thanks for whatever you can share.

Default Re: Travel to OH: What do I need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    I figure that one of you Erie types or a P-Burgher or two might be able to clue me in on do and don't stuff for OH CC (which I can on my FL CCW). I have to go for a wedding in the near future and the reception is at a place that serves alcohol, so I figure that that's out right there. Thanks for whatever you can share.
    I have family there so I've checked this out. A good source is www.handgunlaw.us

Ohio is pretty unfriendly compared with PA. Must inform officer; no carry where alcohol is served, in places of worship, airport terminals, and a few other places that you're probably not likely to visit.

Things to note:

1. On foot, it doesn't matter how you carry. In a vehicle, your firearm must be in a holster on your body (pocket holsters are fine), in the glove box or center console (doesn't have to be locked), in plain sight in a closed container (gun box, briefcase, etc.).

2. No loaded rifle magazines in the car, if I remember correctly. If you don't have a recognized CCW credential, no loaded pistol magazines or speed loaders.

3. You must notify "promptly". "Promptly" is not defined. If you have to shout over the cop to do so, don't hesitate. A guy in Beachwood was felony stopped and ordered NOT to talk. He was finally able to notify after *51* seconds. He was charged. He was recently acquitted and will probably sue the city and the officers.

You can go to the Ohio AG's website and download the handbook used to teach the legal portion of the Ohio CCW course.

Any other questions can quickly be answered on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry website.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    I have family there so I've checked this out. A good source is www.handgunlaw.us

Ohio is pretty unfriendly compared with PA. Must inform officer; no carry where alcohol is served, in places of worship, airport terminals, and a few other places that you're probably not likely to visit.
    On the other hand, we don't have that "character" BS, so the whole OC thing with Meleanie Hain would never have happened.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Near the bottom of the following page are some publications about OH carry laws:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/E...oncealed-Carry

(Lancaster County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

You got a FL permit so just keep it concealed and you'll be fine. OH is the same as PA with a few exception. Content in violation of forum rules removed. ~Staff Total BS in my opinion that you can't have a gun in a restruant that serves alcohol when you don't drink. I wanted to drink, it was a German resturant but I just enjoyed my sausage and saurkraut with an ice tea.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; November 15th, 2009 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    You got a FL permit so just keep it concealed and you'll be fine. OH is the same as PA with a few exception. Content in violation of forum rules removed. ~Staff Total BS in my opinion that you can't have a gun in a restruant that serves alcohol when you don't drink. I wanted to drink, it was a German bier hall but I just enjoyed my sausage and saurkraut with an ice tea.
    removed text..
    Last edited by fingers80002; November 15th, 2009 at 08:40 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Ummmm, please do not come here looking for help, when you get arrested for breaking the law.
    What was I suppose to do, leave it in the car risking it being stolen in the city of Columbus? I did the MOST responsible thing, regardless if I broke the law or not.
    Last edited by dlclarkii; November 15th, 2009 at 08:09 PM.

I wanted to drink, it was a German resturant but I just enjoyed my sausage and saurkraut with an ice tea.
    If you get busted for CC in a place with a booze license in OH it's going to be more like sausage and salad tossing for 1 to 3.

Thanks, but no thanks.

What was I suppose to do, leave it in the car risking it being stolen in the city of Columbus? I did the MOST responsible thing, regardless if I broke the law or not.
    You may want to re-consider carrying, until you can do it lawfully....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast