Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Modern Combative Systems - Vehicle Tactics / Inverted Edge Tactics

Due to lack of interest this class has been canceled. I know people were looking forward to it, sorry we couldn't get it filled. We may try again in the future.
    Last edited by Atomic Dog; February 6th, 2010 at 10:40 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Modern Combative Systems - Vehicle Tactics / Inverted Edge Tactics

This is a review of IET from a forum member (originally posted http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...tml#post692497)

Quote Originally Posted by Unloved
    This course was my introduction to self defense training. I've never studied martial arts or boxing or wrestling of any kind. Other than practicing drawing and opening a folder, I've never trained with a knife.
    The MCS Basic Edged Weapons course seemed like it was designed for me personally. It very quickly became obvious that I didn't need a background in martial arts to understand or implement what George was teaching.

The day started with a lecture on SAS (Spontaneous Attack Survival). I'm not sure how long it was because mercop is a friendly, funny, and generally interesting instructor, so I wasn't watching the clock. He demonstrated the most common types of edged weapon attacks(namely a high-right to low-left slash and a straight stab) that you're likely to face on the street.

He covered what he calls Combative Anatomy, showing us how to use natural reactions to stress to defend against those attacks and how to exploit structural weaknesses in an attackers body. Basically, destroy his elbows and he can't attack, destroy his knees and he can't pursue.

Next came the fun part. We partnered up and drilled on a few very simple empty handed techniques that George had demonstrated previously.Then we geared up and did some force on force. FoF was an eye opener. The defensive stuff we'd learned worked very well but most of us were unable to land effective cuts or stabs.

After FoF we went back into lecture mode for a while. George explained the theory behind IET (Inverted Edge Tactics). He showed us the best targets for our defensive folders and a few more simple techniques for diverting an attack and turning the situation to our advantage. At one point George said "I didn't invent holding a knife backwards." but he certainly showed me how effective a knife held backwards can be.

We went back to drilling for a while and then came Force on Force training to kind of bring everything we'd learned together. It worked. In my final FoF session of the day I faced a full speed, full force attack from a guy with an extensive background in martial arts. I was able to hold him off, draw my knife, and land a fatal(I think it would have been a fight stopper too) cut even after being knocked onto my knees. There's no way I could have pulled that off before this class.

Throughout the day I could see that everything I was learning would work equally well against an empty handed attacker or one armed with a stick . It was also clear that the skills I was picking up for transitioning from empty hand to blade would be just as effective for empty hand to pistol.

All in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable training session and I learned a ton. I will be attending a Combative Pistol course with mercop next month and I plan to work with him as much as I can in the future.

I can recommend Modern Combative Systems as a training resource without reservation. If you have have a chance to work with George, get there!

(Allegheny County)

Several reviews from the class I took posted here

http://forum.pafoa.org/competition-t...ling-post.html

(Allegheny County)

I should be there

(Allegheny County)

Pretty sure I'll be there too! Sounds like a good one!

(York County)

Gonna be good times. FYI you will get two certificates from the class, one for Vehicle Tactics and one for Inverted Edge Tactics. We will be covering handling threats in and around vehicles with open hand, edged weapons, impact weapons and pistols. - George

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Gonna be good times. FYI you will get two certificates from the class, one for Vehicle Tactics and one for Inverted Edge Tactics. We will be covering handling threats in and around vehicles with open hand, edged weapons, impact weapons and pistols. - George

I wanted to throw this out there. Not only will we cover skills specific to fighting from a vehicle, all the open hand, knife, and pistol skills would be the same as if walking down the street. So even if you DON'T drive much and never plan to fight from a vehicle, it is STILL a fantastic opportunity to learn open hand skills (which was my favorite part of the class)

(Allegheny County)

I plan on attending ... should be a great time.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(York County)

I will add- this class is not intended for someone preparing to fast rope off the space shuttle to their armored SUV decked out in mulitcam with their M4/AK to whack tangos (not that there is anything wrong with that). It is intended to give the student information on awareness, avoidance, and aggression when it comes to dealing with various threats to protect themselves and others in, and around vehicles in anytown USA.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    will it be possible to take one section and not the other? cost?

my sister, for example, could use the H2H and IET stuff, but has no use or want for vehicle tactics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast