Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Springfield Loaded 9mm Loaded Range Report

I finally got out to the range this morning with my new loaded 9mm. To say the least I was slightly disgusted by the time I left.

I finally got about 200 rounds down range. I seemed as if every other round would not eject!! The rounds were ejecting strait back and getting stuck in the slide. I was trying to feed it WWB. Any thoughts on what could cause this?

I was also disappointed in the sights (adjustable target) that came with it. Very difficult to pick up the front site. I have plans to send it back to springfield for some work at the end of the month, I just decided to put a fiber optic on the front.

Off to the shop it goes!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Springfield Loaded 9mm Loaded Range Report

I just picked up a full size Springer 9mm 1911 used myself.

mine runs just fine with WWB, and everything else i have fed it so far.

hard to diagnose without seeing and feeling the gun.

would the empty brass be pulled from the chamber and then "stovepipe" or would it not extract at all?

(Lawrence County)

Not enough information on the malfunction.

Partially ejecting casings? Stovepiping?

Lycanpaintmeapicturethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Are you new to shooting or do you have a lot of experience? Not trying to insult, just asking. Could just be a gun problem, but if the rounds are ejecting straight back at your face it usually means you need to tighten up your grip. Try using a complete death grip and shoot a mag and see if it does the same thing. If it works OK just back off til you start having problems. I have a loaded 1911 .45 and I've noticed that it works 100% better when it's lightly oiled. Try putting some oil on the slide rails and work the slide and see if you notice a big difference. I was used to shooting a Glock which needs almost no lube and this really didn't occur to me right away. Hope this helps.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

I will check my grip on my next trip to the range. I did notice at one point that with my thumbs forward grip, my strong side thumb may have been riding the slide.

I have years of experience shooting other models of pistols, but this is my first 1911. I did have two other guys at the range try and shoot the pistol as well, but had the same result.

I detailed stripped and cleaned the pistol today. I am heading back to the range this week. I will try a few things and maybe post some pic's.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by spagluvx View Post
    I finally got out to the range this morning with my new loaded 9mm. To say the least I was slightly disgusted by the time I left.
    Sorry to hear that. FWIW, I have 4 Springfield 1911s--2 in 9mm and 2 in 45--and they all feed and function with just about everything without problems. I do keep the rails lubricated so that it moves pretty freely. The biggest difference between my 45s and 9s is the amount of care in reloading to get target accuracy. Most anything in a 45 shoots well and some shoot great. The 9s, IMHO, take more loading care to get target accuracy. Good luck with your 1911.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the feedback! If I might ask, on you 9mm's what are you using to lube the rails?

I am also looking for a source for 10 round 9mm mags, any thoughts? I have found the Wilson mags, but ouch!

I am heading back out to the range for round 2 after a thorough cleaning. I am going to try and eliminate any user error. I have a feeling that it may be the mags and I would like to order a new one before I head out.

Thanks!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I have a loaded 1911 .45 and I've noticed that it works 100% better when it's lightly oiled.
    I bought a loaded .45 about 4 yrs ago and its surely not a tack driver like a expected. Were my expectations too high or is there something I should look for or do?

I am also looking for a source for 10 round 9mm mags, any thoughts? I have found the Wilson mags, but ouch!
    I picked up 4 McCormick 10rd mags brand new off of e-bay about 3 yrs ago for 50 bucks, I just looked again on theres and nothing on there..... Keep your eyes peeled there are some deals are out there.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the feedback! If I might ask, on you 9mm's what are you using to lube the rails?

I am heading back out to the range for round 2 after a thorough cleaning. I am going to try and eliminate any user error. I have a feeling that it may be the mags and I would like to order a new one before I head out.

Thanks!
    That statement makes me wonder how you had the pistol lubed?

1911's (especially tight ones) NEED to be wet...and not just on the frame and slide rails. That's pretty far down the pecking order in terms of sources of friction.

I'd recommend checking this out:
    http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-...ting-the-1911/
    Lubricating the 1911

My first article on the 1911 is on lubrication for a reason; lubrication is the #1 problem area I see in every combat marksmanship class I teach. No weapon is immune to this and it is clearly a lack of education or emphasis by the shooters themselves. On some pistols, like Glocks, it is less of an issue as they are much more tolerant of lack of lube by if you are going to shoot Browning’s classic 1911 you have to keep it lubed. No if’s, and’s, or but’s.

Let me start off by saying the myth of over-lubing a weapon is exactly that - a myth. You might have some excess lube fly in your face while shooting or seep onto your hand, but excessive lubricant affecting reliable function is fiction. I have never seen it even once in nearly 30 years of my experience with military small arms. I have seen the WRONG lubricant used, specifically in cold weather, which can definitely cause malfunctions, but too much lube shutting down a weapon, 1911 or otherwise, just does not happen. So if anyone has ever told you that, flush it - they are wrong.

What definitely will shut down a gun, and does frequently, is no lube or too little lube, meaning the lubricant is gone in minimal firing. That may work fine in a carry piece but for serious range sessions you have to lubricate the firearm often. During my classes I recommend in the morning before training and after lunch break because whatever you put on in the AM is gone by then. I prefer a wet lube like Militech for range use as it easy to put on but a grease like TW25B works well for carry or field use as it tends to stay put and works well in a variety of weather conditions. Just remember that any grease dries out after awhile so it will need to be wiped off and reapplied. In that respect it is not as user friendly as a wet lube.

My recommendation is to stay away from the very thin lubricants as they may work well for preventing rust and corrosion they disappear almost immediately once the gun heats up. One place thin lubes do have some merit is in cold weather as many of the normal wet lubes gum up - my experience with TW25B in the cold has been excellent so it would be a top choice.

It also makes sense to learn to detail disassemble your 1911 not only for cleaning, but for applying a light coat of lube to all the internal parts for proper function and to prevent rust. Many a shooter has finally got inside his prized custom 1911 only to find rust from the sweat of his hands that has seeped in and around the small parts of the lower receiver. Once you have accomplished this task the chore of keeping your 1911 lubed becomes much easier.

The procedure I use for lubricating a 1911 is as follows;

1. Make sure the pistol is clear, magazine removed, then lock the slide to the rear
    2. Apply lube on the slide rails and around the barrel
    3. Apply lube to the top of the disconnector immediately in front of the breach face on top of the frame rails
    4. Ease the slide forward until it is almost into battery - then apply lube to the barrel hood (the portion on the barrel that you can see in the ejection port). Lubricant here is super important as it is the highest friction point in the gun. Each and every time a round is chambered the barrel hood rubs the inside of the slide therefore it is critical to keep this area wet.
    5. After the slide is all the way in battery apply lube in front of the cocked hammer so it can seep down into the sear/disconnector/hammer hooks area

At this point, rack the slide and dry fire the pistol multiple times - this will help distribute the lube throughout the handgun.

Wipe off the excess with a rag and now you are ready to go. This much lube is probably not needed for carry use and may stain your clothing but the lubrication points remain the same - just be conservative with the dosage.

The same general guidelines work well with other pistols also - just use common sense if it is a striker fired handgun vs. a hammer fired one.

Last couple thoughts; If you are shooting in rain you will need to lube much more often as the rain literally washes it off - except for grease that is. And remember the golden rule; Any lube is better than no lube.
    As many failures as you described tells me something is either way out of spec, some kind of junk is floating around in the action...or the gun is way under-lubed.
    Last edited by synergy; November 24th, 2009 at 10:15 AM.

I've heard good things about Slide Glide but I've never tried it. If you buy it make sure you buy the right kind for the temperature you expect to be shooting in.

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast