Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: LTCF renewal?

(Lancaster County)

Default LTCF renewal?

My LTCF expires in febuary. i was wondering when i should go down to fill out the renewal? should i go down the day it expires?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: LTCF renewal?

You should get a renewal notice in the mail unless you've moved and didn't notify the Sheriff's office. (You aren't required by law to notify of an address change, but that should get your renewal application sent to you).
    If you don't get an application in the mail just go to the Sheriff's office a few weeks to a month before your expiration date.
    I just renewed mine a few months ago and it took about 2 weeks (Lebanon County). You've got time.
    On another note, you're still good for 6 months after expiration.
    If you renew early you'll be cheating yourself out of a little bit of time, maybe a few weeks or a month or two. Whatever time frame it is is no big deal, but you don't need to rush, just don't forget.
    I wouldn't deliberately wait and take advantage of the 6 month clause but I wouldn't start the renewal process more than a month before expiration.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I wouldn't deliberately wait and take advantage of the 6 month clause but I wouldn't start the renewal process more than a month before expiration.
    Unless you're a Lehigh county resident reading this thread with the same question as the OP...I'd say a month and a half. The sheriff here is as slow as molasses in January in issuing.
    Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II .45 ACP, Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by pedaler73 View Post
    Unless you're a Lehigh county resident reading this thread with the same question as the OP...I'd say a month and a half. The sheriff here is as slow as molasses in January in issuing.
    But with the 6 month grace period you're covered even if your sheriff is slower than moles asses in January.
    On the other hand, can anyone be sure that their local LEO are aware and will honor the 6 month leeway?
    I gave myself about two months and had my replacement in about 2 weeks.
    As I said in my first post, if you renew early you could be cheating yourself out of a little bit of time. In reality we're talking about a few weeks on a 5 year license. I've renewed early every time and not been sorry about it. The little bit of time is a small price to pay for the peace of mind of knowing that you're good to go.

If you do some quick math on it you'll find that a $25.00 license that's good for 5 years is less than 10¢ per week. Git er done a few weeks early and rest easy, or if you miss the "deadline" by a little bit it ain't no BFD.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Delaware County)

I was going to mention the same thing as mauser about the time thing, your new date for the renewal is the day they actually renew, not the same day as expiration like a car registration.

I live in DELCO and anyone who has been here on the forum for awhile knows you can't count on DELCO to follow the letter of the law. Hopefully I'll remember when it's time to renew. As a backup plan I have a Utah CWP that I got about 11 months after my Pa. LTCF. The Pa. Attorney General has basically said a Pa. resident can carry in Pa. with a non-resident license/permit as long as it's from a state that is on Pa. reciprocity agreement list. So if my LTCF should expire I'm still good, 6 month grace period plus 5.

(Lancaster County)

thanks for the replies. i have heard with lancaster county that the license apps are in and out within 15 minutes. i will probably go in a week early. when i moved i went in and the sheriff said i didnt have to do anything (as far as address change) just come in when it was time to renew.