Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default sportsman's carry permit?

hey guys, new to the site this is my first post, ive been watching it for a while and like how it operates. I have a question regarding a sportman's permit. From what i have read it doesn't seem too definitive as to what you can and cant do. Im 19 soon to be 20 but i still dont want to wait to carry. From what ive read at Opencarry.org i am allowed to OC without a permit but i cant get in a car with it, that being i am concealing. this is what i read about a sportsmans permit on OpenCarry.org

http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6106.html

does this mean with this permit and a valid hunting/fishing liscense etc. i am permitted to carry like a CCW? it seems a little unclear to me and just wanted to get some more opinions.

Default Re: sportsman's carry permit?

Means with a valid sportsman's permit accompanied by a valid hunting, fishing or training permit, you can go directly to and from the site of activity. No more then that, no stops in between.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

Welcome to the site, man!
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Luzerne County)

A Sportsman's Permit is an "exception" to PACS 6106, the need to have a license to carry if a person wants to carry concealed or in a vehicle.

A person cannot obtain a license to carry until they are 21yoa. However, a person only needs to be 18yoa in order to obtain a Sportsman's Permit.

The SP centers around hunters, fisherman, trappers and persons training dogs.

Exception (b)(9) states that a person with an SP "and" a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license is exempt from PACS 6106 if they are doing these activities, or are going to or from places of those activities.

Exception (b)(10) states that a person with an SP "and" a permit issued for training dogs would be exempt from PACS 6106 when they are actually training the dogs. Notice however, that it does not mention "going to or from" such places.

The SP is NOT a concealed weapons permit. In other words, unless you are doing the above activities and ONLY the above activities, you cannot carry a firearm (handgun) concealed on your person or in a vehicle.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    A Sportsman's Permit is an "exception" to PACS 6106, the need to have a license to carry if a person wants to carry concealed or in a vehicle.

A person cannot obtain a license to carry until they are 21yoa. However, a person only needs to be 18yoa in order to obtain a Sportsman's Permit.

The SP centers around hunters, fisherman, trappers and persons training dogs.

Exception (b)(9) states that a person with an SP "and" a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license is exempt from PACS 6106 if they are doing these activities, or are going to or from places of those activities.

Exception (b)(10) states that a person with an SP "and" a permit issued for training dogs would be exempt from PACS 6106 when they are actually training the dogs. Notice however, that it does not mention "going to or from" such places.

The SP is NOT a concealed weapons permit. In other words, unless you are doing the above activities and ONLY the above activities, you cannot carry a firearm (handgun) concealed on your person or in a vehicle.
    What if you are 17? i wouldn't be able to have SP, but would it still be legal to carry, say, a revolver, while hunting deer (also carrying a shotgun)? I assume if it was legal i wouldn't be allowed to CC, only OC?
    btw i walk right out of my backyard into the woods that i hunt in so there is no walking down streets or anything that i need to do.
    I hunt in 5D i that helps

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lt_Salty View Post
    What if you are 17? i wouldn't be able to have SP, but would it still be legal to carry, say, a revolver, while hunting deer (also carrying a shotgun)? I assume if it was legal i wouldn't be allowed to CC, only OC?
    btw i walk right out of my backyard into the woods that i hunt in so there is no walking down streets or anything that i need to do.
    I hunt in 5D i that helps
    The only times you are allowed to possess a handgun are as follows:

18 Pa.C.S. § 6110.1: Possession of firearm by minor
    (a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.
    (b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to a person under 18 years of age:
    (1) who is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or an adult acting with the expressed consent of the minor's custodial parent or legal guardian and the minor is engaged in lawful activity, including safety training, lawful target shooting, engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or the firearm is unloaded and the minor is transporting it for a lawful purpose; or
    (2) who is lawfully hunting or trapping in accordance with 34 Pa.C.S. (relating to game).
    (c) Responsibility of adult.--Any person who knowingly and intentionally delivers or provides to the minor a firearm in violation of subsection (a) commits a felony of the third degree.
    (d) Forfeiture.--Any firearm in the possession of a person under 18 years of age in violation of this section shall be promptly seized by the arresting law enforcement officer and upon conviction or adjudication of delinquency shall be forfeited or, if stolen, returned to the lawful owner.
    Since you can walk to your hunting spot - there is no worry about transporting. You can only open carry.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The only times you are allowed to possess a handgun are as follows:

Since you can walk to your hunting spot - there is no worry about transporting. You can only open carry.
    I looked into it more and there is a regulation against it the game laws.

Firearms - Handguns: A Sportsman’s Firearms permit or a License to
    Carry Firearms is required to carry a handgun, or have in a motor vehicle.

Licenses to Carry Firearms permits are issued by county sheriffs or
    the Philadelphia Chief of Police. The License to Carry Firearms permit
    only entitles bowhunters or spotlighters, for instance, to carry firearms
    that fall within this classification. County treasurers issue Sportsman’s
    Firearms Permits. A person holding a Sportsman’s Firearms Permit
    may not carry a concealed handgun or a loaded handgun in a vehicle
    and may not carry a handgun while bowhunting or spotlighting.
    from http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=726681&mode=2 "General Hunting regulations.pdf"

hope this clears up any questions (this is the regulations for PA So check with your states regulations if you are in a different state)

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lt_Salty View Post
    I looked into it more and there is a regulation against it the game laws.

from http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=726681&mode=2 "General Hunting regulations.pdf"

hope this clears up any questions (this is the regulations for PA So check with your states regulations if you are in a different state)
    The Hunter/Trapper Digest is just a pamphlet. It doesn't always convey the legal text of law or regulations.

PA Law prohibits carrying CONCEALED and in a vehicle. A Sportsmans Permit provides as shown under 6106(c) an exemption under 6106(b)(9) and (10) to carrying concealed and in a vehicle to, from, and during hunting, fishing, trapping, and dog training provided the individual has the appropriate activity license.

The game laws only prohibit carrying of a modern gun during muzzleloader season, and any gun during spotting game and archery season. So, a person would need a LTCF for those seasons just to merely possess a gun or modern gun(muzzleloader).

Here is the general gist of things:

1. 6106(a) prohibits carrying concealed or in a vehicle.
    2. 6106(b)(9) and (10) provides an exemption to 6106(a)
    3. Before 6106(b)(9) or (10) is valid, a person must have a Sportsman Permit from 6106(c) for those who are 18yo+ to carry concealed or in a vehicle to, from, or during hunting, fishing, trapping, or dog training.
    4. 6106(c) then also refers to Title 34 Game Laws, which:
    5. 34.25.2503 prohibits loaded guns in a vehicle unless you have a full LTCF(which only applies to handguns). Long guns can never be loaded in a vehicle under you are exempt with a physical disability while hunting.
    6a. Game laws or regulations prohibits possession of a modern firearm during muzzleloader seasons, unless it is a "firearm" and you have a LTCF.
    6b. Game laws or regulations prohibits possession of ANY firearm during spotlighting or archery seasons, unless it is a "firearm" and you have a LTCF.
    6c. Game laws or regulations prohibits the use of certain types of firearms based upon action type, caliber, and cartridge type depending on season, game species, and WMA.

There is no law under Title 34 or Regulation under Title 58 that prohibits concealment with a Sportsmans Permit.

In fact, so long as you do not enter a vehicle, do not conceal the handgun, and are not out during certain seasons that prohibits the possession of that type of gun during hunting - you do not need a SP or LTCF.

For mere possession, Title 18, Chapter 61, Subsection 6110.1(b)(2) exempts you from the prohibition of being a minor in possession of a gun during those lawful sporting activities.

SO, in the end - if you walk to your hunting spot, do not conceal the handgun, are not in archery or muzzleloader seasons, aren't spot lighting, and probably if the gun is legal for the game that is in season - you do not need a SP or LTCF, nor adult supervision.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!