Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Legal age requirement to shoot handguns at a range in PA?

A co-worker is interested in bringing his son, who is 16, out to shoot with me for the first time. I will be providing the handguns/rifles, he will be there shooting as well. There are no age requirements to shoot handguns at a range is there? I don't see it in the UFA. Do ranges generally have rules against under-18 shooters to shoot handguns? I will check with my range, but just wanted to get some info first. Thanks.

Al

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Legal age requirement to shoot handguns at a range in PA?

Most places I have been to, If the person is under 18 they need to be accompanied by a legal guardian.

However places that suck, like Anthony Arms in West Mifflin, wont let anyone under 21 shoot unless they are accompanied by a legal guardian.

Im sure someone will be along soon with more specific info.

(Lycoming County)

As you stated, individual private ranges can set the age. That said, there is no age, as defined by statutes, as long as he is supervised by an adult.

Be safe (and shoot privately, if you can).

Scott

I am sure you have this, but just so it is within the thread:

§ 6110.1. Possession of firearm by minor

(a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.

(b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to a person under 18 years of age:

(1) who is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or an adult acting with the expressed consent of the minor's custodial parent or legal guardian and the minor is engaged in lawful activity, including safety training, lawful target shooting, engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or the firearm is unloaded and the minor is transporting it for a lawful purpose; or

(2) who is lawfully hunting or trapping in accordance with 34 Pa.C.S. (relating to game).

(c) Responsibility of adult.--Any person who knowingly and intentionally delivers or provides to the minor a firearm in violation of subsection (a) commits a felony of the third degree.

(d) Forfeiture.--Any firearm in the possession of a person under 18 years of age in violation of this section shall be promptly seized by the arresting law enforcement officer and upon conviction or adjudication of delinquency shall be forfeited or, if stolen, returned to the lawful owner.

(Lackawanna County)

I just went over this for a speech i was suppose to give today. If your under 18 you need to have a parent, guardian, or person 18 or 21. WITH permission to use the firearm. Now I would imagine that, that's the way it works at a state game land. Put a private range might have other thoughts on it.

(Allegheny County)

Al

Your trying to corrupt minors now

Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Al

Your trying to corrupt minors now

Good job.
    Hahaha...I'm running out of people to convert.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    A co-worker is interested in bringing his son, who is 16, out to shoot with me for the first time. I will be providing the handguns/rifles, he will be there shooting as well. There are no age requirements to shoot handguns at a range is there? I don't see it in the UFA. Do ranges generally have rules against under-18 shooters to shoot handguns? I will check with my range, but just wanted to get some info first. Thanks.

Al
    Your good to go and encouraged to do so! All you need is parental consent, adult supervision and an agreeable range. My own feelings on range selection is an outdoors range. The noise enviroment of indoors makes the lesson part harder than it should be for a kid, or any new shooter. Unfortunately that doesn't leave a whole lot of options, most outdoor ranges are either clubs or State Gamelands. If your serious, PM me, I may be able to help out.

Which leads me to.....next week I'm taking a friend and his 8y.o. son out for some .22 time for the lad. Dad grew up with guns but hasn't shot in years but wants his son to know how. I'm thinking a newbie is about to be re-born.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Your good to go and encouraged to do so! All you need is parental consent, adult supervision and an agreeable range. My own feelings on range selection is an outdoors range. The noise enviroment of indoors makes the lesson part harder than it should be for a kid, or any new shooter. Unfortunately that doesn't leave a whole lot of options, most outdoor ranges are either clubs or State Gamelands. If your serious, PM me, I may be able to help out.

Which leads me to.....next week I'm taking a friend and his 8y.o. son out for some .22 time for the lad. Dad grew up with guns but hasn't shot in years but wants his son to know how. I'm thinking a newbie is about to be re-born.
    Thanks for the offer! I'll keep that in mind. Where do you go shoot up there? I've been to LRGC a couple of times and really like it there.

My range is indoor, but I usually do the safety lesson for my guests at home or at the range's private teaching room (they like me enough there to let me use the space). My guests pay $5 to shoot, they just have to purchase ammo from the range. While I get free rentals, I have plenty of my own to bring and share.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Thanks for the offer! I'll keep that in mind. Where do you go shoot up there? I've been to LRGC a couple of times and really like it there.

My range is indoor, but I usually do the safety lesson for my guests at home or at the range's private teaching room (they like me enough there to let me use the space). My guests pay $5 to shoot, they just have to purchase ammo from the range. While I get free rentals, I have plenty of my own to bring and share.

Al
    LRGC is what I had in mind. 5 per guest. Sounds like you have a good relationship with the range you usually use.....that speaks well of you. If your interested let's set it up for Langhorne.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Bucks County)

mythaeus and ER

If you want some more company, i also belong to LRGC. If you are worried about the sound, I have a couple cans I can bring along.

ETA: ER I saw before you on thursday nights for trap, are you still going?
    Last edited by theo; November 13th, 2009 at 06:30 PM.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast