Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: sterling 9mm

(Allegheny County)

Default sterling 9mm

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=146244363

does anybody have any experience with these?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: sterling 9mm

Already being talked about here, my friend.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/782...one-these.html

(Columbia County)

Neat looking gun, the price on gunbroker sounds pretty high. It's being talked about here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/782...one-these.html

EDIT: I was beaten to it!

(Bucks County)

price on that one is to high, i've seen then for 550 at local shops

I had an uncle that had to carry a real one in his tank from 1939 to 1944. He said it was a POS.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    I had an uncle that had to carry a real one in his tank from 1939 to 1944. He said it was a POS.
    Your uncle most likely carried a Sten submachine gun from 1939 to 1944. The Sten is somewhat similar in layout and appearance to the Sterling in that both subguns have the magazine housing projecting horizontally from the left side of the receiver tube. The word "Sten" is an acronym; the "S" and "T" represents the first initial of the two inventors' last names, and "en" comes from the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield Lock, England. The word "Sten" is sometimes spelled "STen" to reflect the capitalization of the inventors' initials.

The Sterling was invented by George Patchett and not adopted until the mid-1950s. Early models of the Sterling predecessor, the Patchett, were used in small quantities by certain British units in very late WWII. One of the earliest known battles in which the Patchett submachine gun was involved was at Arnhem, made famous by the book and movie, "A Bridge Too Far."

The Sterling Mk3 and Mk4 was widely adopted by many governments around the world, most notably by some of the Commonwealth nations of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The unsilenced Sterling served from 1954 to around 1994, and the silenced L34A1 version is still in service in the British military.

The Sterling enjoys a worldwide respectable reputation for reliability, controllability, and functionality. The Sterling has a nominal cyclic rate of 550 RPM, which is about perfect for control of double, triple, and quad-round bursts. The Sterling has what is considered to be the most well-designed magazine of any 9mm subgun. The magazine has is double-stack, double-feed and the follower consists of two offset rollers to reduce friction. You can insert the 34th round with not much more thumb force than the 1st round required.

The Sterling subgun is considered by many to be superior to the Uzi and MP5 in terms of functionality and reliability. I presently own a select-fire Sterling Mk4, and 20+ years ago I owned a STen and an Uzi. The select-fire Sterling is hands-down more reliable than either my STen or Uzi was:

As for the Sterling semi-auto carbine made by Wise-Lite and sold through Century, there's one dealer here in central PA who cannot keep them in stock. The majority of issues with these guns are traced to the variable condition of the used and reworked magazines supplied with the guns. IF the magazine feed lips are not parallel, the Sterling will not feed. And some of the well-used mags I've seen with these semi-auto carbines did need their lips relaigned. I realigned the lips on two mags for a local dealer and after the repair the guns ran 100%.

HTH,

Noah

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Caeser2001 View Post
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=146244363

does anybody have any experience with these?
    Yes you need one and you should then bring it to a group shoot so we can test it
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Indiana County)

My local guy has them and for a better price than that.

He trys out "new" stuff before he commits to putting them on the shelf for sale, the one he tested out worked just fine according to him.

Never shot it myself, to gimmicky for my tastes.