Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Rockledge, Abington Township, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)

Default my reason for pulling my weapon

A few of you asked as to why I needed to pull my weapon.
    Here is the story;

I had my LTCF for a few years,
    I was driving my sons car (94 Beretta BTW) and was carrying my Kel-Tec .380. I am used to driving my truck, so my weapon was uncomfortable on my hip. So I placed it in the door panel storage bin.

Driving through Phila to get back home in Mont. county, I was involved in a acident with some a-hole in a pick-up truck. He tried to pass me on the shoulder of the street. He was too close and clipped the whole side of my sons car. It was summer time and my window was down.
    After he hit me, he pulled in front of me in the intersection, jumped out of his truck, and ran over to the side of my car.
    This guy was about 6'4" 250 lbs, roofer type guy.
    He starts yelling and cursing me as he's running over to me. When he gets to the car, he starts to punch me through the open window. I backed away from the window as much as I could, then he reached into the car and tried to pull me through the window.
    As he did so, I managed to reach for my weapon and put it in his face.
    (if I had it on my hip as usual, I may not have been able to draw it from the position I was in)
    He IMMEDIATELY withdrew and ran across the street almost in tears.

(Little did he knw that he was about a milla-second from being shot)

I then got out of my car and the assailant was back at his truck.
    With-in one minute, the Police were there, I had placed my weapon on the passenger seat and was waiting outside the car. They asked who had the gun, I said it was me.

They placed me in the back of the police car (uncuffed) untill they sorted out the story. There were witnesses there that saw what happended. they were about to release me when they noticed that my LTCF was EXPIRED by 8 months. (stupid me, thought that I had another year)

Needless to say, they arrested me for carrying with out a license, and confiscated my weapon.
    Over the next 6-7 months, the case was dismissed, but they kept the weapon.
    My laywer said that it would cost another $1000 to get it back. It only cost me about $35 for the gun, so I decided not to persue it.

The officer that arrested me was VERY nice to me, but said that I pressed charges against the guy that hit me, I would have to be charged with aggrivated assualt for pulling my weapon.

Not sure if that was true. but I decided not to try it.

Hopefully, that will be the only time that I will need to draw my weapon.

(Chester County)

Default Re: my reason for pulling my weapon

Do you still have your ltcf?

WOW...a lot to address here. One thing right now... you said the guy was "6'4" 250 lbs, roofer type guy". How does that compare to your size... a big disparity?

why 1000.00 to get the gun back?
    FJB

(Montgomery County)

[QUOTE=HiredGoon;968553]WOW...a lot to address here. One thing right now... you said the guy was "6'4" 250 lbs, roofer type guy". How does that compare to your size... a big disparity?[/QUOTE

I myself am 6'2" 190. But have a bad back, plus I was in a position where I could not defend myself.

HMM, not sure how I would react any differently (with the exception of having a valid LTCF ) ... if he has you trapped and has assaulted you unless you have the option of driving the car away I see no other means of defense.

This is a situation I had not thought of before and I am interested in hearing others opinions (especially our LEO members and Gun Lawyer).

Secondly (and this is a question to those I hope respond to this thread) does the size of the attacker and the attackee size actually matter in a situation like this?

Personally, not knowing all the legal ramifications I think you did what you had to do but I await a few more informed posts to clarify if what you did was 100% legal.

BTW, glad you made it through this ordeal unharmed ... sounds like it was one hell of a scary situation.

(Indiana County)

Had the misfortune to drive into downtown Philadelphia today (all the way from Indiana County, where people drive more civilized). People drive like maniacs in Philly.

(Montgomery County)

All of the officers that were there (about 6 IIRC) said that they would have done the same, except that they would not have hesitated to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonltz28 View Post
    All of the officers that were there (about 6 IIRC) said that they would have done the same, except that they would not have hesitated to shoot.
    But honestly it's a good thing you didn't ... especially with the expired LTCF. Not that you would have been wrong but some ahole DA that wanted to make a name for themself could have had a field day with it.

Again, glad you made it though the whole mess unharmed.

(Allegheny County)

Question Re: my reason for pulling my weapon

Quote Originally Posted by spoonltz28 View Post
    Did you get that on record?
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast