Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default OK so how about a little LEO input...

I ask this because I am not sure of the true answer...Seems pretty simple but just want to make sure.

This past Sat went to town kids in car wife co-pilotin' and I. We come down the road to a intersection where there is a traffic signal and crosswalks (with hand/countdown signals). I am in the left turn ONLY lane. To my right a straight/right turn only lane.
    Now as a line of traffic (3cars in front of me) makes the left turn the fella directly in front of me suddenly stops. There is a person who approached the crosswalk as cars are going through. The person on the curb is just standing there. The fella in front of me decides to STOP to let the pedestrian cross. The hand signal is red and the lane I am in light was green.

Now I am stuck blocking the on comming lane of traffic. There is a guy In a pickup closing in fast. To avoid getting T-boned I cut to the LEFT of the STOPPED car and go around him. I am fully aware of the surroundings and do this without anyone in the crosswalk. No pedestrians moving anywhere, only on the sidewalk.

Well now the guy in the stopped car is all pissed off . decides to get right up on my bumper. Hand jestures are flying from his car. So I go about my business and he follows. I park, he pulls up I exit my car and ask what the problem is. His problem is that I passed him and didnt stop for pedestrains. I explain what I saw happening, and what might have happend (T-bone in my kids door). I explain to him I will do whatever it takes to keep my kids safe from others actions.
    So he goes on with a state law to stop for pedestrians in cross walk. Told him totally agree, BUT the crosswalk signal was RED. He had the right of way, and his actions could have caused a serious accident.

So big question here is who is right?? The intersection all have the signs on the yellow lines . "Yeild to pedestrians in crosswalk".. But being a intersection with pedestrian signals when to cross. I would venture to say the state installed crosswalk signal trumps the placed signs that everyone hits and moves.

This is more for my knowledge, I dont think this will ever happen again...BUT ya never know

Snert..

(Beaver County)

Default Re: OK so how about a little LEO input...

Not a LEO but I would think it is very clear that you do not stop in the middle of the road when someone is standing on the sidewalk staring at the "do not walk" hand gesture.

(Crawford County)

I am guessing that the laws are different from town to town. When I lived in State College they had an article in the CDT that pointed out the law in the town after a couple of people got hit in a short time frame. It stated that on any non lighted crosswalk (meaning no traffic light) pedestrians had the ROW no matter what. I found that stupid and I think anyone who has ever driven through that town will agree. It also stated that at a lighted crosswalk pedestrians only had the ROW if they were crossing with a green light. If they were crossing against a green light they did not have ROW.

So basically if the laws are the same in your town then the ped. did not have the right to cross at that moment.

I am not LEO this is only what I have read.

(York County)

To quote a section of the vehicle code that NOBODY seems to get...

3710: Stopping at intersection or crossing to prevent obstruction.

No driver shall enter an intersection or a crosswalk or drive onto any railroad grade crossing unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection, crosswalk, or railroad grade crossing to accommodate the vehicle operated without obstructing the passage of other vehicles, pedestrians or railroad trains notwithstanding any traffic-control indication to proceed.
    (bold mine)

Simply put, you had no business entering the intersection before there was space for your vehicle on the other side.

I know that sounds like I'm being a dick, I really don't mean it in your case. Seriously.

It's just a personal pet peeve of mine, happens every day around here. The light turns red, and 3 more cars pull into the intersection and stop, thus preventing the cars that now have a green light from going thru the intersection and on their way. Instant traffic jam, all because of the "I'm too important to have to wait thru one cycle of the traffic light syndrome"

/rant off
    Underwater, the ONLY way to fly...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by subdude View Post
    Simply put, you had no business entering the intersection before there was space for your vehicle on the other side.

I know that sounds like I'm being a dick, I really don't mean it in your case. Seriously.

It's just a personal pet peeve of mine, happens every day around here. The light turns red, and 3 more cars pull into the intersection and stop, thus preventing the cars that now have a green light from going thru the intersection and on their way. Instant traffic jam, all because of the "I'm too important to have to wait thru one cycle of the traffic light syndrome"

/rant off
    You need to re-read the OP. What you describe was not his situation. HE had a green light. The person in front of him STOPPED in the intersection for a pedestrian, not because there was insufficient space on the other side.
    Do you stop at every green light and make sure the car in front of you goes all the way through, without stopping in the middle of the intersection?
    Last edited by tlgpa; November 9th, 2009 at 02:37 PM.

(York County)

tlgpa,

I specifically said that I didn't mean it directed at him in his case. I know he had some extenuating circumstances there.
    Last edited by subdude; November 9th, 2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: sp
    Underwater, the ONLY way to fly...

(Montgomery County)

Although I agree with you when you said you had to do what you did for the circumstance you were in, I found this...

75 Pa.C.S. 3542 (c) LIMITATION OF VEHICLES PASSING

Whenever any vehicle is stopped at any crosswalk at an intersection or at any marked crosswalk to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.

Not exactly black and white to your scenario, but I'm pretty sure you would have gotten popped for this had you been pulled over. Just my $0.02

ETA: Not a cop....(yet)

I believe you are correct in your actions of moving to a safe location. As a traffic signal applies to a car so do cross walk signals to pedestrians! His stopping in an intersection, blocking oncoming cross traffic is putting everyone at risk.
    Just my opinion!
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Bucks County)

I am not LEO:

Generally, when there is a PED crossing light AND a left turn signal, when the left turn signal is green the PED light will be red specifically to prevent the situation you found yourself in.

However:

I'm pretty sure if a cop was sitting within sight of that intersection at that time, you would have gotten a ticket. Probably for reckless driving or some such...or

§ 3306. Limitations on driving on left side of roadway.
    (a) General rule.--No vehicle shall be driven on the left side of the roadway under any of the following conditions:
    (1) When approaching or upon the crest of a grade or a curve in the highway where the driver's view is obstructed within such distance as to create a hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction.
    (2) When approaching within 100 feet of or traversing any intersection or railroad grade
    crossing, unless otherwise indicated by official traffic-control devices.

If the driver that had stopped decided to continue his turn not reallizing you were coming around you would have gotten hit by him...that would have been your fault.

If you had been hit by the pickup truck...im guessing this truck was on the road you were turning left onto(?)....then that would have been the fault of the pickup driver...he needed to wait for intersection to clear before entering.

I realize "accident fault" wasnt your question....just saying...

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by subdude View Post
    To quote a section of the vehicle code that NOBODY seems to get...

(bold mine)

/rant off
    Exactly right .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast