Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question Advice on Walther PPS 9mm

I got the chance to shoot a Walther PPS 9mm today and absolutely loved it, it was sooo damn accurate!

After hating the recoil on the LCR, I am now looking at a compact 9mm for cc.

The problem I have is that there seems to be a FTE issue with the gun which actually happened to my wife earlier when she fired it. The issue is that sometimes, on recoil, the slide doesn't go forward all the way and you have to give it a little nudge to chamber the round.

Has anyone had this issue or know if it's been resolved by Walther?

And what about other possibilities in single stack 9mm? The thinner the better.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Advice on Walther PPS 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by buster2209 View Post
    I got the chance to shoot a Walther PPS 9mm today and absolutely loved it, it was sooo damn accurate!

The problem I have is that there seems to be a FTE issue with the gun which actually happened to my wife earlier when she fired it. The issue is that sometimes, on recoil, the slide doesn't go forward all the way and you have to give it a little nudge to chamber the round.

Was your wife limp wristing it?

I shot MostlyHarmless's pps and we put a few rounds down range without any failures.

I was going to buy one because i was looking for a single stack 9mm- but, the $600 price tag and $50 extra mags kinda turned me off.

Plus, i love my g19.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Was your wife limp wristing it?

I shot MostlyHarmless's pps and we put a few rounds down range without any failures.

I was going to buy one because i was looking for a single stack 9mm- but, the $600 price tag and $50 extra mags kinda turned me off.

Plus, i love my g19.
    Yeah, she limp wrists pretty bad so we are looking at a revolver for her.

After some research, I found the answer;

4a) During break in, grease (lube) the underside of the slide area that moves across and picks up the cartridges. (Loading ramp)

6) If nessessary, polish the feeding ramp and top of chamber. Smooths cartridge feeding function. Note: Many of us have polished the entire loading ramp with good results.

9) Due to the short, narrow slide (lighter mass) this firearm is susceptible to "limp-wristing". Use a firm grip during trigger pull and follow through.
    Ironically, I have lubed her SR9s loading ramp because of the same problem but never connected the dots.

I was just curious if it was a common problem or not but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Yeah, the price tag is steep but it was just as accurate as her full size SR9 and felt so nice to shoot!
    Last edited by buster2209; November 9th, 2009 at 12:27 AM.

I've shot my buddy's, and didn't have any problems with the round chambering. I was thinking that it was probably due to limp wristing, or maybe a bad recoil spring. It happens sometimes on really worn pistols, but typically it's the limp wristing. I liked my buddies just fine, although didn't care for the trigger on it as much as I do my XD. Either way, they're nice pistols, very thin.

(Beaver County)

I've had my PPS in 9 since they came out. I've probably fired 500+ rounds through it and NEVER one hiccup. I would have to say problem is limp wrist ... go for the PPS you won't regret it.

Hokkmike Guest

May I refer you to, for informational purposes only, the PPS Forum. There will be an in depth discussion of your issue there among PPS 9 users.

Mine is a PPS .40. So, far, so good. Any gun that does not live up to its part of the bargain can be traded or sold.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    May I refer you to, for informational purposes only, the PPS Forum. There will be an in depth discussion of your issue there among PPS 9 users.

Mine is a PPS .40. So, far, so good. Any gun that does not live up to its part of the bargain can be traded or sold.
    Not knocking on the pps (i liked the one i shot) but that statement only gets you so far if you are relying on your firearm to defend your life.

If it don't work when you need it, you end up dead. Then trading and selling are kinda a moot point .

My PPS 9mm has over 1,000 rounds through it. Several brands (American Eagle, Federal and more) and types (round nose, flat nose, hollow point +P, EMFJ +P). Still not a single FTF or FTE.

The one single anomaly I had was the slide closing once after the last round fired. I chalked that up as something due to dirt since I hadn't cleaned the gun after the previous range trip and carried it for 2 weeks dirty.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

The two that come to mind are the S&W 39xx series (or the 908/908s) and the Taurus PT-709...

(Jefferson County)

As the others noted, limp wristing is probably an issue. Especially with the PPS's higher center of bore.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast