Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default new Savage Mark II BTV rifle!

Well I bought my first bolt action rifle this weekend. I'm currently looking at building a rifle around the Savage 10FCP HS-precision stock but that will be probably $2000 total so for now I wanted a .22 so I can get some good trigger time with the accutrigger. So after doing some research I settled on the SAvage Mark II BTV. I got home from my second range trip and I gotta say WOW it shoots great!

Here's some pics:

So the rifle, as I mentioned is a Savage Mark II BTV, Scope is a Truglo 6-24x44 with AO, mild dot illuminated reticle, 1/8" moa turrets, and a 3 or 5" sunshade. Weaver 2 piece bases and Weaver grand slam high 1" rings.

All in all it set me back around $450. The scope isn't to bad. it retails for $299 but was on sale for $60.
    Last edited by Ryan T; November 7th, 2009 at 06:47 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: new Savage Mark II BTV rifle!

Outstanding! especially for non match ammo. have you tried any other flavors of ammo in it yet. Looks like a keeper to me.

Tim

(Cumberland County)

so far I've tried rem standard, "Golden Bullet" HP, and the yellow jackets. I need to do some research on good match grade ammo. A lot of people seem to suggest wolf match grade is actually really good. It's pretty cheap to boot. I haven't found much other than CCI and rem stuff at the local walmart. I think Dick's has some different brands though.

(Westmoreland County)

Yep wolf for the price is very good ammo along with SK, I've had good luck with the cheaper RWS target rifle also. 22's are odd creatures in their likes and dislikes of ammo some will shoot the economy stuff well and balk at Eley 10X otheres are the opposite.It pays to experiment so go buy a box of a bunch of different brands of target ammo and see what it likes .Also if its shooting that Rem HP well I would bet it will shoot the Rem subsonic HP even better.

(Perry County)

I have the same rifle. Very nice gun.

(Somerset County)

I have this rifle in stanless, and you are correct this is the most accurate 22 i have ever owned. mine likes the CCI standard velocity ammo. it also did ok with federal target loads. I take it hunting once and while and use the remington golden bullets and it does ok with them as well. but the CCI standard velocity is what i use when i shoot in the league i am in and i can put 5 shots in one ragged hole at 25 yards. The trigger is just great on mine, i never touched the adjustment yet. i am going now looking for a savage rifle for deer hunting because of the accutrigger.

(Montgomery County)

Here is my Savage. Its been nothing but a great gun to me. I just shoot bulk pack 22lr but its a real nail driver at 50 yards. I haven't decided whether to sight it in at 100 yards or not. I've figured the bullet drop with it and get pretty good groups at 100 yds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Wayne County)

Mudd,

What's the stock you have on your Savage? It really looks great.

Jeff

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan T View Post
    so far I've tried rem standard, "Golden Bullet" HP, and the yellow jackets. I need to do some research on good match grade ammo. A lot of people seem to suggest wolf match grade is actually really good. It's pretty cheap to boot. I haven't found much other than CCI and rem stuff at the local walmart. I think Dick's has some different brands though.
    Something about the Wolf Match rimfire ammo, if I remember correctly it's not made in Russia. It's actually made in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by JBurian View Post
    Mudd,

What's the stock you have on your Savage? It really looks great.

Jeff
    That's the Savage MkII Mako.

I have the same basic rifle but with the grey laminate stock and no accutrigger. Even with a lousy scope, random budget ammo and some wind I posted this group:

50yds Savage MkII.JPG

That was at 50yds and I think a 10 shot group. I definitely wouldn't mind a better scope than the 4X32mm one I have. Wouldn't complain about shooting one with the Accutrigger just to see the difference.

The trigger on mine isn't exactly light but there's almost no takeup, clean break and very little overtravel. It's a dream compared to my SKS trigger lol

(Montgomery County)

Yep, Its the Mako stock. Thats what sold me on the rifle, it didn't look like every other stock out there. I had to add the scope, bi-pod and mount. The scope is over kill at 50 yards (i just keep it turned down) but its nice to be able to see where your shooting at 100 yards without needing a spotting scope.
    I love the trigger pull on the Accu Triggers. It was weird at first, just pulling back to get to the trigger but its a crisp and light pull. I keep mine at the lowest setting, 2 pounds I think.
    Last edited by DaveIam; November 28th, 2009 at 11:45 AM.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.