Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: would you ever move from PA?

The state would have to be concealed carry friendly, have at least 15 to 20 golf courses within an hours drive. Sportsman clubs that don't cost an arm and a leg to belong. And cable coverage to get every Steeler and Penguin game. Screw the Pirates.
    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and have lived in AZ and now WA. I've been thinking about this a lot recently and I noticed that a bunch of folks brought up some of the issues I was concerned about:

1) Conceal carry friendly
    2) Cost of living
    3) Quality of life

We all know about how gun friendly Arizona is but my problems were the lack of seasons - which was mentioned earlier (I'm not okay with 116 degree weather) but some other posts hit it on the head when they mentioned Northern Arizona...absolutely gorgeous and they get some snow. Aside from the heat, the Phoenix area is prohibitively expensive in terms of real estate - even in the current economic climate. Washington has been a refreshing surprise. I was shocked to find out that WA was the first to pass "shall issue" concealed carry laws. Overall, WA is just like PA but a little more overcast (not as cold though) and the cost of living is higher (once again, real estate is very pricey around the cities).

With that said, if you want land in rural areas...it would probably be cheap in either state. But they both have their draw backs...in Arizona, it's going to be tough to get water and in Washington, you can easily have the only road to food/supplies washed out by rain/melting snow.

Overall, I look forward to being able to move back to Pittsburgh but I sure like being able to buy beer at the gas station.

(Centre County)

Well, I'll toss my 2 cents in. I've lived in:
    PA (Boalsburg, Lemont)
    MI (Upper Peninsula - Kincheloe AFB - Kinross)
    KS (Liberal - way down in the SW corner)
    CO (Denver and Steamboat Springs)
    ND (Minot and Minot AFB)
    IN (Peru - Grissom AFB)
    DE (Dover - Dover AFB)
    NJ (Wrightstown - McGuire AFB/Ft. Dix)
    Iceland (Keflavik - Keflavik NAS)
    Spain (outside Madrid - Torrejon AB)
    Egypt (Ismalia, over by the Suez Canal - classified location)

I've been in all 50 states (for business and/or pleasure)

I've been to Canada, Mexico, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Argentina, Colombia, Venezula, Brazil, Puerto Rico, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Italy, Turkey, Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Baleric Islands (Med), Germany, France, England, Japan, Korea, Australia, Phillipines, China (Mainland and Taiwan), Thailand, Vietnam and probably some I forgot.

If I were to move from PA there are several places that I would think about. Some may sound odd but you have to have been there for a while to see what they truely are like.

Boise, ID, Great town, lots of outdoor activities, just a real nice place, believe it or not (extremes of weather don't really bother me, you can get used to anything after a while).

Rapid City, SD (see above)

Albuquerque, NM, great weather, small town feel in a big city, lots to do

Austin, TX, not all brown and flat like a lot of TX

Savannah, GA, you have to experience it to see what I mean

I'd have to think about it but I know there are a few other places I would put on my list (Spokane, WA; Portland, OR; Cheyenne, WY, Great Falls, MT)

However, I was born and raised in PA and I really like it here. IIRC there was a survey at one time, not too long ago that it was found out that people from PA are the LEAST likely to move from PA to somewhere else and that the majority of PA people that have moved, move back when they retire.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

I once asked this girl I was dating in high school if I could move into her vagina.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin455 View Post
    I grew up in Pittsburgh and have lived in AZ and now WA. I've been thinking about this a lot recently and I noticed that a bunch of folks brought up some of the issues I was concerned about:

1) Conceal carry friendly
    2) Cost of living
    3) Quality of life

We all know about how gun friendly Arizona is but my problems were the lack of seasons - which was mentioned earlier (I'm not okay with 116 degree weather) but some other posts hit it on the head when they mentioned Northern Arizona...absolutely gorgeous and they get some snow. Aside from the heat, the Phoenix area is prohibitively expensive in terms of real estate - even in the current economic climate. Washington has been a refreshing surprise. I was shocked to find out that WA was the first to pass "shall issue" concealed carry laws. Overall, WA is just like PA but a little more overcast (not as cold though) and the cost of living is higher (once again, real estate is very pricey around the cities).

With that said, if you want land in rural areas...it would probably be cheap in either state. But they both have their draw backs...in Arizona, it's going to be tough to get water and in Washington, you can easily have the only road to food/supplies washed out by rain/melting snow.

Overall, I look forward to being able to move back to Pittsburgh but I sure like being able to buy beer at the gas station.
    Of the areas that I've been to, the two areas that seem to be the most like PA Re: climate, topography, quality of life, etc. would be parts of western Washington state and Wisconsin. Folks that I know from PA who have also moved to these area seem to fare well without having to acclimate for very long.

Seattle was where I was living prior to returning to PA. I must admit, it was a tough choice. That's some pretty territory. However, I don't fit in well w/ the West Coast state of mind. The semi-mid-western way of looking at things that is common in PA is more my speed.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Northampton County)

2A is the primary of a few reasons I moved here.

I like PA a lot for that and many other reasons. If I have a reason to move, 2A will be the top consideration for a different state. If 2A goes down in PA, I will either fight or leave, depending on the prospects. I'll OC and shoot FA on an ice floe if that is the last spot.

(Montgomery County)

Lived here all my life. Traveled to Michigan, Florida, Oklahoma, California, Texas, Ohio, New York, France, Canada. Both for pleasure and work.

San Francisco and Paris are amazing of course. But it's one thing to be tourists and another to live and work there. Cost of living must be crazy expensive.

I'm pretty content here in PA. Family and friends. Weather isn't too extreme, though I could live without the ice and bitter cold spells.
    No earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis.

And the older I get, the more I realize what a concentration of good medical facilities we have. (Ack! There's a thought.)

Not a bad spot all things considered.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

I haven't lived in PA for many years because of my military career. I have traveled Europe, Asia, Central America, Middle East, and all but a few states, Hawii, WA, MT, and Maine.

I'm currently in Colorado after spending a week in Neveda and just completed a week of Elk hunting. I leave for Nebraska tomorrow and waterfowl and pheasant hunting. As far as 2A issues, CO and GA both allow loaded pistols in a vehicle without a permit or license as long as its not concealed on the person or in the vehicle...ie in glove box, center console or plain view. CO and GA both have Castle Doctrine Extreme...

I'll retire soon and I'm looking at many possibilities. State income tax on retirements if at all, activities that I enjoy, less populated areas, medical care, weather, and family atmosphere.

I see some have said Nevada. Las Vegas doesn't count as visiting Nevada. Nevada gets ton's of snow, cold, and great people plus brothels when the ole lady ain't puttin out. These things are important to a man! LOL

I just don't know where I'll retire but I'm tired of moving and when I find the place, I don't ever want to move again.

As far as cold and snow, Central PA doesn't get hit as bad as many places in the state because of the mountains and the jet stream. Just a thought!!!

PA will always be home. The small town I grew up in just screams at me to come home. The local VFW has supported me for 20 plus years and many of the older vets I delivered papers too as a boy. Who knows...???Time will tell.

I'm currently being transferred to Fort Meade Maryland and working mostly at Walter Reed. First time I'll be close to home so I'll definately be checking many things out.

Who knows, I've seriously considered South America if our Federal Government continues to go south. Just want to live my life in peace and be left alone to do as I please without hurting or harming anyone else. Is that to much to ask?

(Montgomery County)

I am a biker, and have travelled the entire US and eastern Canada. Some really great country out there. I have lived in PA my whole life, no complaints until now. Starting to become too liberal in Phila burbs. Texas & Georgia are two areas I think about. God, Guns, & Harleys

(Allegheny County)

South Carolina.

Lived there.

Has 4 distinct seasons. Friendly gun laws (to residents). Lots of outdoorsy stuff. Can buy beer at any corner mart. Can light off fireworks if you so choose. Ocean, mountains, swamps. Friendly folks. Low cost of livin. No stupid state inspection for vehicles. See the sun more days than not. BBQ houses all over the place. Boiled peanuts.

Downside, public education.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast