Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Not much of a smithing job... but my new custom 10/22

Based on some videos I found online, and my dislike of the stock 10/22 (wished it was the gun that my Henry is in a 22)... thought I would do a kitbash and have some fun.

Take an inexpensive 9if you look) Airsoft P90, do lots of fitting and cutting, not to mention some simple CAD work to lay things out and get sizes right, and viola!

That target was from the 2nd firing, first was for function out in the woods, this was 2 magazines worth of Remington Thunderbolt. Did not even have to zero the sight. It does its job now if I do mine, and should do a ton better once I bed the stock inside of the body.

Its pretty sturdy in there, and I think the moving mass is similar to the airsoft internals. Did have a few FTE's though, which should be solved by some careful trimming of plastic and installation of a ramp around the ejection port.

All in all, a fun project. May not be useful for hunting, but darn fun anyhow.

(update)

Here are some photos I took while tweaking things and doing a fluff and buff + trigger job...

Tape is there to keep the pins in the body. It does the job, and is only really there for when I am mucking about inside. the receiver is held pretty tight to the inside with careful cuts to the existing airsoft gun body, and mainly by friction. When the shell is closed, it will not move on its own. The silver tape seen there is to shim it in very small amounts to make sure it does not move. As you can also see, the safety on the trigger group is kept to fire, there is no access once the shell is closed. (more on that in a second)

You can see the plexi spacer on the side, which takes the stock width down to the width of the 10/22 body. there is a window there so the serial can be read (as to never be accused of obscuring or defacing it for soem reason). You can see the molding of the airsoft gun and the spacer hold the trigger rod in place. this is the stock airsoft trigger rod, bent and modded. Most others use a section of welding rod or stiffer material. Ive added a sleeve of aluminum (from some scrap I had) to make for a better contact point for the trigger.

Speaking of triggers

the safety fully works, it goes from safe to fire, and fire more (was FA on the airsoft gun, but I dont have the cash for a transferable novak gun). The stock trigger rides against the barrel, and I just used a stronger spring for the detente on the safety to give it more hold, since it does not block the hammer any more. Ive tested it and could not get the hammer to drop by tugging banging and dropping, but still not loading it up till it is on the firing line.

the biggest issue is the top rail, being plastic, doesn't make for a great optics mount. it flexes and moves too much, so zero is hard to maintain. Enough that I can rapid fire out 30 rounds and bang on some steel, but not a tack driver every time. But it does what i want... its fun and a head turner at the range.

only thing I still need to do is to angle the ejection port up a bit, since brass still likes to catch and drop back in, stove-piping it. But that happens much less than before.
    Last edited by Azzy; February 1st, 2012 at 12:12 AM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Not much of a smithing job... but my new custom 10/22

Thats Awsome!

(Lycoming County)

That is amazing. It looks awsome.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(York County)

Nice work!
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

May we assume that the overall length remains 26" or greater, not counting the removable flashhider?

I know that the Muzzlelite bullpup stock, if used with a 16" barrel on a standard 10/22 receiver, would fall under the Federal minimum OAL.

Nice looking project.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    May we assume that the overall length remains 26" or greater, not counting the removable flashhider?

I know that the Muzzlelite bullpup stock, if used with a 16" barrel on a standard 10/22 receiver, would fall under the Federal minimum OAL.

Nice looking project.
    ^This

That doesn't seem to be legal even if the flashhider was perm. attached. I'd get that disassembled ASAP and those pics deleted if thats the case.

(Luzerne County)

Nice looking gun!!! Great job! I hope it's overall length is OVER 26" so you don't have to take that thing apart. How long did it take you to make it?
    Last edited by max384; November 5th, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Nice looking gun!!! Great job! I hope it's overall length is OVER 26" so you don't have to take that thing apart. How long did it take you to make it?
    had to fix the typo for you

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Luzerne County)

I had put a bullpup stock on my 10/22. I didn't care for it. It made the gun less shootable. The trigger was spongy. How did your trigger turn out?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Washington County)

Since I did not use the carbine version, the overall length is 26.75 before the flash hider A little longer than ideal, but it keeps from needing one of those overpriced stamps

The trigger? Still a work in progress. Right now its too crunchy and long. Breaks sharply, but after too much travel. I have a few ideas for it though, and as soon as I find a spare stock trigger, I am going to be trying them out.
    Last edited by Azzy; November 5th, 2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added responce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast