Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northumberland County)

Default AMD 65 AK47 questions

Hi all , i was wondering if anyone has experience with an AMD 65 ? it has a wire folding stock its for sale at my gun shop for 495.00 is that a good deal and whats the pros and cons for this gun?

If its good i might put it on layaway! .

(Berks County)

Default Re: AMD 65 AK47 questions

It's not a bad deal. When I had my AMD-65, I spent about $500 on it.

However, make sure you like the feel of the folding stock, and be sure you like the feel of the grips in your hand. I recommend workgloves when shooting this rifle. The button for the folder rests perfectly on the top of your first thumb join, and you'll notice it (and blisters or blood) very quickly after some range time.

When I sold this rifle, I was not sad to see it go. An underfolder with a forward grip is a much more comfortable solution, or a fixed stock AMD-63 if you're hellbent on a Hungarian with a forward grip.

(Lancaster County)

It's not an awful price. Centerfire Sytems has them for $399, but you'll spend at least $50 more on top of that for shipping and and FFL transfer. They also have Yugo underfolders for $449.

I don't own an AMD-65, I'm not a huge fan of wire stocks, but everyone I know who has one loves theirs. They say they're as accurate and reliable as any other AK, and I have no reason to doubt that.

The only negatives I can see...

You can't change the stock on the folding version without replacing the rear trunnion, so make sure you're comfortable with the folder.

The forward pistol grip interferes with magazine removal if you're using anything larger than a 20 round mag or a drum. The front grip (if it's wood) can be modified to allow additional clearance for the longer mags, but it'll look goofy.

The barrel is only about 12 inches long, but has a permanently attached muzzle device that makes it the legal 16". At most ranges, this won't affect anything, but if you try to shoot at a longer range, the shorter barrel has to affect accuracy. Because of the muzzle device, your rifle is just as long as any other AK, but may lack the performance at longer range that a full length barrel can provide.

Most of them are made with a Hungarian receiver, and many with Hungarian barrels. On some I've seen, the only US made parts are the fire control group, the barrel extension, and the magazine. This can make it difficult to stay in compliance with 922(r) if you want to modify anything on the gun, or use military surplus magazines--and still keep the rifle legal.

All those negatives don't mean it's a bad gun, they're just things to consider when deciding if it's the right one for you. For me, they rule it out, I like to tinker with AK's and I'm not very comfortable with wire folding stocks, and I like to shoot at longer distances, your tastes may be completely different.

With prices dropping the way they are, and so many choices out there right now, it's ok to be picky.

(Allegheny County)

Like everyone else said. All the ones I handled at funshows sure looked desirable.

And... This is only what I read on the 'net - - so we know its true; some brands - TGI? - were complained about for having the muzzle brake welds shot loose.

Who really knows for sure.

Just like with ANY gun brand; as long as the dealer will support you and get it returned for service IF this should even happen, then your GTGo like everyone said.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    The forward pistol grip interferes with magazine removal if you're using anything larger than a 20 round mag or a drum. The front grip (if it's wood) can be modified to allow additional clearance for the longer mags, but it'll look goofy.
    Just a comment on this. While 20 round mags are easier to insert, 30 round mags are not impossible. It takes a little getting used to, but you can insert a 30 round mag just as easily as a 20, once you get used to the angle you have to put it in at. I used 30 round mags exclusively on mine, with no trouble.

(Northumberland County)

i am still thinking , i love the look of the muzzle brake on the front it looks real cool, it comes with a 30 round steel mag, the only thing i dont like about it is the thin wire folding stock it was real hard for me to get it snug against my shoulder, if its still there after Xmas then i will add it to my collection.

(Allegheny County)

I love the AMD 65. So does my woman. She has laid claim to it pretty much entirely.
    Slickest action of any of the commie weapons we own. Reliable.

Nicest folding stock on any AK. Locks up as tight as a fixed stock. Comfortable, padded end - no dinging off the receiver. Useable folded. Doesn't beat the crap out of you. Controllable.

Not so great things;
    -Shoots HUGE fireballs usually a foot + to either side of you and out the front.
    -Louder than a 16" barreled AK.
    -Trouble with mags larger than 20. But I can get 40 rounders in mine. It's just not exactly a tactical mag change.
    -TGI guns have a single spot weld on the barrel extension. Which does crack and wobble. However it is so slight, and it is still fused together. So no real drama. If it's a big deal spend the $40 on the extended brake cut a tiny trough in it and the bottom of the FSB and fill it in with silver solder. Voila. Tight brake.
    -The finish is paint. It looks great but would be 100x more preferable in a good park. Which would be far more durable. The brake is especially vulnerable as the fire blast takes the paint off in the first couple shots and then it will rust profusely.

Overall? If you are an honest to goodness AK person the AMD is a requirement IMO.
    You gotta have a fixed stock AK, a side folder, an underfolder... and a pistol or Krink.
    At least.

Right?

lol!

Make sure you get the real FEG built receiver with a REAL Hungarian barrel. And not some parts kit slapped together with a whatzitfuk barrel and the wrong FSB orientation.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Overall? If you are an honest to goodness AK person the AMD is a requirement IMO.
    You gotta have a fixed stock AK, a side folder, an underfolder... and a pistol or Krink.
    At least.

Right?

lol!

Make sure you get the real FEG built receiver with a REAL Hungarian barrel. And not some parts kit slapped together with a whatzitfuk barrel and the wrong FSB orientation.
    I try to like the AMD but just can't do it. I just think that they look ugly. I know that a ton of people love them. If I had one though, I would have to SBR it and put the normal brake on but that's just me.

edit ... oh, forgot to mention. If you can get the FEG built receiver as suggested, grab it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF