Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Maxing out a Mosin Nagant

I plan on getting a Mosin Nagant M38 Carbine and making it into a hunter. Some upgrades I'm considering: (To improve accuracy) Install Mojo Sights, install huber concepts match trigger and install muzzle compensator. Any suggestions for accurizing a M38 Carbine?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Maxing out a Mosin Nagant

Shoot it as is and put your money into another project/firearm.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

Quote Originally Posted by TRUMY7 View Post
    I plan on getting a Mosin Nagant M38 Carbine and making it into a hunter. Some upgrades I'm considering: (To improve accuracy) Install Mojo Sights, install huber concepts match trigger and install muzzle compensator. Any suggestions for accurizing a M38 Carbine?
    I'm with pukin on this one, spending lots of money on a Mosin is what most of us will refer to as "polishing a turd". You start out with a cheap rifle that is reasonably accurate, and start throwing in 2, 3 or even 4 times as much money as what it costs. In the end, you have a rifle that shoots, but it's still just a polished up Mosin that has very limited upgrade options, and very little resale value. The reason being that people that want a Mosin may want it closer to the original, or want to purchase one for cheap. The other people that want an accurate rifle that are looking to spend what you may want for it, would rather spend the money on a base model Remington 700 or Savage 10 or 110. Both of those rifles will shoot just as good or better as your Mosin, and they will have TONS more upgrade options (stocks, triggers, barrels, firing pins, etc, etc, etc).

Please realize that we're not trying to bust on the Mosin Nagant, lots of us own and treasure them. We also do not try to make them something they're not, or are also on limited budgets and try not to spend money on projects that could be better spent elsewhere. Mosin's are good, but trying to turn one into a tack driver usually results in lots of money spent, and limited options. If you want a tack driver, it would be good to start saving and do it in a different project form. In the mean time, practice with your mosin, and she'll be a plenty fine hunter.

The only way that I would do this is if I walked in the house and discovered that some kind soul had dumped a large amount of 7.62x54r in the middle of my living room, or if I had a legacy stockpile of it from when it was cheaper than dirt.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    The only way that I would do this is if I walked in the house and discovered that some kind soul had dumped a large amount of 7.62x54r in the middle of my living room, or if I had a legacy stockpile of it from when it was cheaper than dirt.
    Would you hate me if I told you a local store had 440 spam cans on sale for 89 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    Would you hate me if I told you a local store had 440 spam cans on sale for 89 bucks?
    Only if it were local to me, I think.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    Then you'd hate me for buying about 5 cans in the $30-40 a can range...

I'm with Pukin and Tomcat, if you want a Mosin buy a Mosin but if you're looking for a project gun start with a new one (based solely on options available)
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    Not to mention the scoundrels that snapped up cases of 54R 7N1 for $150 per 880 rd case a few years ago.

I'm with Pukin and Tomcat, if you want a Mosin buy a Mosin but if you're looking for a project gun start with a new one (based solely on options available)
    Ditto, if you must use a Mosin, shop around for one that's already been cut up. Also consider a sporterized Springfield. You'll get the same experience without devaluing a potential collector's item.

What's wrong with the M38's accuracy in factory configuration? The shorter, stout barrel lends itself to higher accuracy, not lower.

Here's an M44 (very similar to the M38) at 275 yards.

How much more accuracy than this do you require?
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

I did my damage in 5.45x39, 7.5x55, and 7.92x57, but thanks, I hear you loud and clear.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TRUMY7 View Post
    Normally I'd agree with the other posters. However, I've always preferred peep sights on my rifles and since the installation doesn't modify the rifle, no harm done, except for the cost of the upgrade. I'd consider the Huber trigger if I was going to shoot it in a service rifle type of match, for hunting you really won't notice an improvement. The muzzle compensator, I could go either way. Have fun with it!
    Last edited by Hawk; November 4th, 2009 at 11:05 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast