Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (McKean County)

Default A few questions about SBR's

After years of wanting one I've decided to get myself a short barreled rifle; I'm thinking about a krinkov/ AKSU.
    Here's the question, do I send in the paperwork to the ATF once I've gotten my Krink kit and receiver?
    And once I do get the tax stamp and send it off to be built, do I have to have it sent to a class 3 dealer and pick it up there? If so, does anyone know of any class 3 dealers near McKean county?

Thanks for the help; I'm a lifelong firearms owner and shooter, but I'm a total noob when it comes to class 3 weapons.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: A few questions about SBR's

First, Welcome!

There may be some confusion between Full Auto which needs a Class 3 Dealer and SBR (short barrel rifle, under 16") which does not IF you are building it yourself. Otherwise the kit may have to sit and wait with a Class 3 dealer.

From what I understand you need to buy the receiver so that you have the serial number for the paperwork. The rest needs to be bought AFTER you receive the tax stamp or at least kept in another location (not 100% sure about if the last part is allowed). For example, I can not have the receiver and shorty upper in my house for the SBR I want to put together.

Check out:

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/p...edriflefaq.pdf

Corrections welcome. Especially when it comes to Non AR type rifles.

(Centre County)

OC.

From what I read it appears you do not plan on building the SBR. If that is the case you need to find someone to build your firearm (krink / AKSU) as you want it built. I don't know if you have already spec'd out a company or not but there are a couple that come to mind for me.

Red Jacket Firearms in Lousiania
    Ohio Rapid Fire in Ohio (duh!)
    and theres a company in AZ but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I'll find it and post up later.

Do you already have the kit and the receiver? If you do that's fine but you do not do ATF Form 1 for the SBR as YOU are not building it, the company you send it to is. Then it will have to come back to you (if built out of state) on a form 4 from the company that built it and must be transfered through the C3 dealer in state (I'm almost 100% sure). There might be a way around this but I am not exactly clear and will double check later tonight.

In short it may be cheaper to buy one form a dealer who already has one built if you don't already have the money in the kit and receiver. Oh and quarterbore's site is a good reference.
    When it comes to having a receiver AND the kit to make the SBR @ the same time for an AK I think it would be ok to have them both at the same time but I am not the ATF. There is a relative amount of work that has to go into the assembly of the rifle and I believe the problem (or lack there of) with the AR platform is that it can easily be placed together with out being perminate. Though I could be wrong as the ATF could construe that as an "intent" to defraud the them the tax money for making the item.

ok... I'm done rambling I hope that helps, I have thought about the Krink/aksu platform but I have to many other things on the plate for that right now!

Cheers,
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(McKean County)

Any ideas on the nearest class 3 dealer anyone?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by O.C. 4 U View Post
    Any ideas on the nearest class 3 dealer anyone?
    Yep. Allegheny Arsenal - www.mg34.com - in Bradford. Greg or Nikki should be able to get you whatever you desire. Tell them Vince from Bloom Automatic told you about it.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA